Employer not giving me my contracted hours

Guest flubdub
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest flubdub

In September I started work in a hotel. I signed a contract saying that I am to work 20 hours a week. This has always worked fine, until a new manager started work there.

Now, whereas we always had set hours, and set days that we work, the manager has changed this to 'varied' days (which i can live with, and isnt a problem, and if the hotel isnt busy, well.....we just dont go in. Some of my weeks have been cut from 20 hours, to 10. Its different every week.

When i spoke to him about this, he said my contract hours were more of a "guideline".

Someone i work with said the contract might have something in it saying that if the hotel isnt busy, then my contract hours dont apply. But I am not sure it does have that in, a: because I havnt been given a copy of my contract, and b: Last year when the hotel was quiet, everyone had to sign a new "lower hours" contract.

This is (edited) not a small company. Any help would be great thanks.

Edited by ErikaPNP
company name removed.

Ok. Your employer is obliged to give you a written statement of the particulars of employment. A contract, in simple terms.

Having you sign a contract that they then hold in their possession, while you don't have a copy, is unlawful.

It's a very common trick, believe me.

It surprises me that a large employer like yours would do such a thing. Not that I've any idea who you work for, you understand;).

Can you remember back to when you signed the contract - did it include, somewhere near where you put your signature, a statement such as, 'I acknowledge that I have recieved a copy of this document'?

We'll address this first, try and get you a copy and see what it says.