Is this tenancy dodgy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently posted an advert on Gumtree asking if anybody had a property to let. I've had a few replies, but the best looking one has the bills included in the rent, everything (Council tax, water, gas, internet etc)

I would be claiming housing benefit and it would be £200 short of this per month, i am only asking because i have never come across this before.

The landlord also wants a "Security Deposit". Now i have heard of a rent deposit and first months rent, but not this.

What shall i ask this landlord? And, can anybody advise me here?

Many thanks.

It would be very unusual to rent a property and have all the utility bills paid but then again maybe it's been divided out from the main property and the landlord hasn't installed new meters for the rental part? Or is it a room within a larger property?

Personally I'd be wary of this type of arrangement because it would probably mean I'd have no control over when the property was heated and the temperature it was heated to, ditto hot water.

Deposits are required to pay for damage to property when the tenancy ends. I think you landlord is probably asking for a normal deposit but you should check with him that this is the case.

You need to ask the landlord how much deposit he wants and you need to know that it is being paid into a Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). You can find out about this on

Tenancy Deposit : Directgov

I would ask the Landlord to give you a copy of the lease so that you can have a good look at it.

Ask the landlord if he's had previous tenants. Did he have any problems with them? Why did they leave?

Search the landlord on the internet and see if anything comes up about him.

It may be that when you look deeper it's just too good to be true - in which case walk away...

Good luck!

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

when I was at uni I had rent/gas/water/electric/council tax included.

for the exact reason that you said flat above a shop, no separate meters,

but there were separate boilers, I had complete control over when I had the heating on.

Hi all thanks for the replies here, problem is now solved anyway. Just came home, logged onto my email, and the idiot has sent an email saying basically if i were interested to use Western Transfer to send one months rent and this security thing, without even asking if i want to view the property.

It's alright, i am all clued up where it comes to this, the West African will not con me out of £1300. They must think us Brits are daft. I'm actually surprised they have internet access.

Thanks again for the replies, i am always cautious and always questioning offers i recieve.

Just made that note, also made one to Yahoo. It wont stop these people though. There ought to be a system whereby people posting adverts for goods wanted on these websites cannot be contacted by Nigerians.

Like the website coming up "This content is blocked for users from your country." Surely this can be done somehow, because when i try to watch videos on YouTube sometimes, it comes up with something similar to that (But that's because of Copyright)

Ahh well, technology is only as good as it is, i am sure in a couple of years time something will come up.