Thesis Servicing help!

Taddy3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I had a couple of phone calls from Thesis Servicing at my work, I never gave permission for this so after seeking advice from these excellent boards and the National Debt Helpline I wrote to them saying I need more info about what they are asking me to pay and not to ring me at work or I will report them and gave them my address stating I would only deal in writing. Is email constituted as ‘in writing’ by the way it would be much easier to deal this way and quicker?

Turns out it’s my student loan, taken out before I graduated in September 1996, I’ve worked out this is an old style loan. It has had interest of over £2000 put on it from missed payments and arrears. Bascially it’s one of those things you forget about (wish I hadn’t as I am now married with 3 kids under 5 and both me and my husband work part time to look after them, money is so tight and I feel like I am letting my kids down and Mums should be responsible and I feel I’ve not been) and I moved house in July 2004 (over 5 years ago) and forgot to inform them, things moved on and I heard nothing until now when the loan was bought by Thesis.

What I want to know is they now sent me an email (I emailed them to ask for more details, National Debt Helpline said hiding only makes things worse) saying how much they say I need to pay back but no further details such as dates of the loan just how much monthly payments would be about £80 as there is no way I can afford that. I guess they would set up a payment plan for less but I am not being tricked in to paying something I needn’t.

Thought I would send a statute barred letter but isn’t that like admitting the loan outstanding is mine. (I am in Scotland) It is mine and of course I would like to sort out my debts and be responsible but I would rather spend the few pounds I have left every month on food for my kids rather than give it to greedy debt collectors. I have the statute barred letter ready to send out should I or try and get dates from them first of when borrowed etc?

To make it worse I got another one yesterday from an old 3G account from about 5 years ago, that one I know is not mine as it was closed and dealt with years ago.

These letters have ruined my Christmas as you just don’t know what they’ll do next.

Hi Taddy3

The debts will be statute barred if you have not received acknowlegement or have not made payments on them for 5 years in Scotland.

I am curious as to how they got your works number.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I sent the statute barred letter to Thesis yesterday second class recorded so will let you know what happens.

I remember filling in part of the last deferrment form I filled in about how much I earned and where. I have been at the same place for 11 years. I never said they could contact me there so I guess someone took a chance hoping I still worked there and I did. I wrote and said do not call me at work again or I will report to OFT and they didn't (so far!)I took the loan in my maiden name and they asked for me with my married name. I must have given them that reckon that's the last time I contacted them, I've been married 6 years just which makes me think it will be statute barred in Scotland for sure (where I live) and just statute barred in England perhaps this triggered them to look for me??

As for 3G I am going to send them a 'no idea about this debt it is not mine' letter first and see if they can prove it.

Some DCAs will chance their luck and try to collect money on statute barred debts or even debts that are not even yours. Some people will just pay up. It is good that we have sites like this to keep us informed of our rights.:)

Hi Taddy

If you have a six year window where you did not pay into, or acknowledge the account in writing then it is statute barred. Deferring in the six years is a form of acknowledgement.

I would recommend that you go on the offensive with this.

Send the statute barred letter to slc recorded delivery too.

I would do a SAR too. This will give you a break down of charges, provide copies of paperwork etc, agreements, if they still exist and will confirm the statute barred status.

Good luck with these clowns. Be prepared to deal with some unbelievably devious and dishonest people.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the end of it then?

Got a letter back from my stat barred letter last week. It says

"We note your request for your above referenced loan account to be actioned under the limitation act 1973. We acknowledge this request and can confirm that we have blocked all future correspondance except where legally required (when might this be then??) and your telephone number has been removed from our system (they had my work one)Furthermore I can confirm we will not seek court action in order to recover the balance due.

However because the loan was migrated to us as live and collectable we may register your details with UK credit reference agencies....

If you have any queries ...blah blah."

So is this the end of it?

I am waiting with baited breath for your replies as I daren't celebrate yet!

Thanks

However because the loan was migrated to us as live and collectable we may register your details with UK credit reference agencies....

I would preempt this by doing a dsar and informing them that you now wish them to cease processing your data. The last thing you need is these clowns messing with your credit file. The sooner they realise you are going to be a bigger nuisance to them than they are to you the better.

"Migrated"....what f*****g idiots!

You need to send a request with the statutory maximum fee of £10. They have 40 days to comply after which you can use the courts to force them to comply.

There are plenty of threads worth reading about Subject access requests with tips on how to avoid their usual scams for not complying.

I think it is a fairly cheap way of ensuring they stay on the back foot.