How long to wait for replacement computer?

David684
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a problem with a well known high street store which I will not name at the moment (it is not PC World / Currys!)

To give a brief account of events, I purchased a mid range Acer desktop computer from them in April 2009. It developed a fault when it was just under six months old as it developed a very noisy fan. I took it into the store for repair; fortunately I had backed up all my data.

The store sent it away to Acer to repair. Over 6 weeks later they informed me that Acer had given up on the repair and were sending a replacement instead. I assumed this would arrive quickly but now 9 weeks into this process I am still waiting for a computer. I complained to their head office two days ago and the audio/computer department manager was put in charge of my case. He said he was sorry the process has taken so long and promised some compensation when the new computer arrives from Acer but he admits there has been another delay and also does not know what the exact specifications of the computer will be although they should be at least equivalent to the old one. He refused to replace the computer from the stock in the shop.

My question is, can I now demand a refund:confused: I was reading in some posts that under the Sale of Goods Act a repair or replacement has to be given within a reasonable period of time. It is now 9 weeks since I took the computer in for repair, is that now long enough? I would also be happy to accept vouchers!

I have just sent a letter to the Manager of the store and the Head Office saying I would give them yet another week to sort my problem out or I will be asking for a refund and it this fails then I will take legal advice.

Do people think this high street store have now taken an unreasonable length of time with my repair/replacement:confused:

Thanks for any advice

D