Piercings at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I work in an office as an administrator, I am getting trained up in the new year to become an account manager - which is sales based. I am looking to get 2 lip piercings called snakebites, using studs not rings. My company is really laid back and you can pretty much get away with anything, so I was really shocked when 2 out of my 3 bosses said no. 1 of my bosses said he was ok with it, but the other 2 who are alot older are really against it.

As it stands, there is nothing written in my contract about facial piercings. I have tried to negogiate with them by promising just to wear a clear plastic bar with no ball on the end just to stop the hole from closing, but they still said no! Which im finding difficult to understand why! My role wont be very customer based as I will be in the office 95% of the time, I even said I would remove the piercings if I had to attend any customer/supplier meetings...but still no.

I want to get them done tomorrow but now im really worried about where I stand. As I said before, there is nothing in my contract at the moment and my boss told me that if I did go ahead with the piercings then they would have to ammend the contract afterwards...This has really annoyed me because I know my 2 older bosses are just being old fashioned and really difficult about the whole thing. The company recently remployed my colleague who didnt come into work for over 2 months because she couldnt be bothered, and fed all of us a load of lies. So in my view, they would rather look like pushovers by re-employing someone who has lied to them big time, than let someone come into work with 2 minute, nearly invisible dots on their lip.

Any advice on this please?

A friend of mine has the same piercings ...and everytime I look at them I feel sick. She's had them a year and still, every time I look at her face and those studs I feel sick...and I'm not a particularly prudish person. She can't get a job either.

No way would I put someone in any sort of a customer facing role with piercings on their face like that, particularly in a sales related capacity where image and professionalism is key.

For what its worth my advice is don't do it.

Yes, but what I am getting at is that they are saying I cant get it done, even if I dont wear the bars in work!! That's being too controlling I think. I have already agreed to hide them at work and they are still disagreeing. Its my body and Ill do what I will with it, I dont think a place of work should decide this for me.

I wont be customer facing either. All of our account managers here are office based, and maybe once every 2 months go out to visit customers. We have our own external sales reps which I wont be getting involved with. I will be office based...

Personally I wouldnt want to see anyone with facial piercings like you describe in an office, you say you arnt customer facing but every opffice job I've had there has been various customers/clients visiting all the time, and I'm afraid it does give an air of unprofessionalism wether you like it or not.

Now Im suprised there isnt mention in your contract of some sort of dress code even if it doesnt go into much detail, perhaps the wording 'must act professional at all times' or something like that would cover it.

My previous job was as IT Support, there was no particular wording as to dress code but most people wore suits, persoanlly thats not really me and being in IT support it was a bit more lax and I wore jeans mostly, but there were plenty of times when i came into contact with clients and I'm sure someopoen would of said something if it was deemed my dress was just too unsuitable, the contract of employment was actually changed to include dress code, most companies now certainly do tighten up their contracts just to make verything water tight and to leave no grey areas as to what they expect from their employees.

Now I certainly don't think they having piercings but removing them during work hours would be a problem and I';m suprised you felt the need to ask their permission ?. I'd imagine that most people wouldnt ask permission to have a 'hidden' tattoo.

Andy

Yes, but what I am getting at is that they are saying I cant get it done, even if I dont wear the bars in work

You must have had an inkling it would be an issue or you wouldn't have asked. Like it or not, appearances matter. One part of me says the way someone looks has no bearing on their abilities. However, the way someone chooses to present themselves does have a huge effect on other people. It does convey a message and if it's not percieved as the right message then it will affect opportunities.

I have both my arms as full tattoo sleeves, and a tattoo on my neck. I once considered getting a labret piercing (the bit between your chin and bottom lip). I asked the manageress if it was allowed, even though there was nothing in the contract/rule book. She said no, as the company had an image to portray. I was only considering it, and decided against, but I pointed out to her that if I got it done and was told to take it out, then all the female staff would have to remove their earrings, as that's classed as a facial piercing, and she didn't argue but, asked me nicely not to.

They're not saying you can't do it, but I think they're expecting you to be reasonable with them. I do agree that having a piercing has no bearing on the ability for you to do your job, but in this day, there are still people who frown against piercings, etc. I took a massive risk when I got the tattoo on the back of my neck, but they already could see I was covered in tattoos and done the job well, plus, the manageress said the tattoo was out of sight, but if it came down to people judging me, they would've already judged me from seeing my arms.

To be honest, If I was in your position, I wouldn't get it done. Nothing to do with backing down, but just to be reasonable and accept some people don't like it. End of the day, is your job worth a couple of piercings? Yes, it would annoy me greatly, but I'd accept it. Every job I've had or been interviewed for, I've asked if they'd like me to cover my tattoos or not, but these days people are interested in them, than covering them.

Keep us informed if you do get them though! I spend a lot of time in my mates tattoo shop, and this conversation comes up a lot. My friend tattoos solicitors, judges and policemen all the time! Some amazing samurai backpiece on a judge! Amazing work as well! I think times now are slowly changing and piercings are becoming more acceptable, but there are still people who haven't accepted them, and it seems your bosses are these people.

Yes, but what I am getting at is that they are saying I cant get it done, even if I dont wear the bars in work!! That's being too controlling I think. I have already agreed to hide them at work and they are still disagreeing. Its my body and Ill do what I will with it, I dont think a place of work should decide this for me.

I wont be customer facing either. All of our account managers here are office based, and maybe once every 2 months go out to visit customers. We have our own external sales reps which I wont be getting involved with. I will be office based...

True. And its also their company and they can do what they will with that too.

And not with those piercings you won't be...visiting customers, that is. Unfortunately in a work environment at times whether you like it or not in some areas you are expected to conform.

If you get it done then there's nothing they can do about it. except make life difficult, and particularly if you've already asked their opinion and had it. Is it worth going ahead knowing they are disapproving and risking your imminent change of direction there? If it is then go for it.

If there are such things as temporary "stick on" ones why not test the water and go in to work wearing those and see how you fare?

I have to agree with everything pippadeee says. When I first started getting tattoos, I was 18, and had the mindset of,"no way I'm covering my tattoos!" being a rebel! Now, 18 years later, I'm covered in them, as I made a decision it was something I was serious about, and also I had to now be prepared to not get jobs i went for, if they found tattoos to be offensive or not part of the image they wanted to portray of their company. I was ok with that, as I knew they were permanent.

It sounds that your company is open minded to a certain extent. A lot of people that don't understand piercings, tattoos, etc. aren't interested in understanding them. From a business man's point of view, it's not what I would think a potential customer would like to see. From my point of view, it's very mild, compared to the people in my circle of friends and what they have pierced!

I'm afraid on this one, unless you can get all the bosses to agree to let you have it, I think you're going to have to give the piercings a miss, especially if you intend on staying in the job you are in. Unfortunate, yes, but that's the way it looks like it has to be.

P.S. If I was in charge, I'd let you get them!

I can't see what's wrong with you having the piercing done as long as you remove it at work. Maybe it will be OK in your office but it definitely gives off an air of being unprofessional when in front of customers, that's just how soceity in general views that kind of thing. A piercing on the lip is obviously a very different kettle of fish from ear piercings. I agree it should be your choice as to what you do with your body, but when you are at work they are also entitled to make you conform to their dress code, which can include piercings and tattoos. I have nothing against piercings but if I was a customer I would find a lip piercing bit off-putting. I had a some acne as a teenager and spots on the lip were always by FAR the most painful, as such I could never imagine having a piercing there. But that's just me...it's your body and like you said, you are welcome to go and have it done, but it depends if you would rather have your piercing or your job. In the kind of work you describe, image is important, and that is part and parcel of job and should be accepted.