Argos Faulty Laptop

Toadface
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a laptop from Argos on the 5th Novermber 2009, and it has turned out to be faulty. tried to switch it on on sunday and the screen was just blank, power button was lit up but no picture or anything. Its dead.

I tried to take it back to the Argos shop I bought it from today and expected to either get a replacement or a refund, but was told as it is a laptop, they have to send it away for testing to make sure it was a fault and not ME who damaged it or a virus or anything.

They have told me to phone a number that deals with thier thechnical issues. Have not called them yet as wanted to find out where I stand first.

Has anyone else had dealing with his type of thing at Argos, I have since done a little bit of reading up on Sales of Goods act and am of the understanding that if the item is faulty of unfit for use and is returned within a reasonable time period (11 days in this case) then they should offer a full refund or replace it.

I also read online about Argos' 16 day Gaurantee, Does this apply to me?

Can someone please help me out.

What should I do?

Thanks

A retailer still has the right to check that you didn't damage the goods regardless when it was brought. However I would argue that this is how you got it and get Argos (the store) to call up the technical support themselves, and request that they seek an authorisation for a replacement/refund from the support team. It is essentially up to the management to honour such a request, and they could still demand it be sent off.

Your more then welcome to PM which store you went to, if your local to me I might be able to assist you further.

I dealt with a similar issue a few weeks ago and did an immediate refund, but it does help that being a Computer Scientist its pretty easy for me to see an inherent fault and an accidental one.

--

Read below, I do NOT act as a representative of Home Retail Group or any of its companies.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

You should have been offered a full refund on telling them that it was not fit for purpose. Just tell them straight that you want a full refund on the item as it isn't working. You are guaranteed and 11 days is ideal, for all they know you could have bought it as a gift for your daughter and it never worked. They will ofcourse try to offer you an exchange, but if it happens to one laptop, it may happen to the next one of the same model.

The OP is entitled to a full refund, however Argos are still within their rights to examine the goods (and for such technical items send off for examination) to establish the fault. Whilst I might not generally agree with sending a laptop off which is less than 2 weeks off, you have to remember that Argos is a multi-line retailer and most staff will not have experience in such items.

It is policy to refer or call up the laptop technical support, regardless of the age of the laptop to determine a fault, and as posted above with supports advice and discretion the manager at the store can offer a replacement or refund.

In addition regarding the 16 day (or what is now 30 day) money back guarantee this applies to non-faulty goods, that are resellable and not exempt. A laptop is both exempt and fault, under which a 30 day refund policy for faulty goods applies, and/or repair/replacement at the decision of the customer (within the 30 days). This is part of your statutory rights (SGA ss35/ss48A-F), and the goods will be deemed to be faulty at purchase (SGA ss48A 3) which Argos will try to confirm and establish by professional and authorised computer technicians.)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.