GMAC what can i claim back ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can claim it all back all the way back to 1995 including any interest they have applied to the charges which they have taken from you.

Start reading the forum. Find out how to do it. It's not complicated. Get started now

you can claim it all back all the way back to 1995 including any interest they have applied to the charges which they have taken from you.

Start reading the forum. Find out how to do it. It's not complicated. Get started now

Wrote to Gmac in 2007 requesting fees back for arrears and no DD set up. They gave us the usual answer and told to go to the FOS, with a 6 month period to do so. Personal circumstances and a bit of a mix up with information about Bank charges being held, stopped us from doing so until a month too late. FOB could then not help unless GMAC said they could, which they obviously said no to. As far as they were concerned case closed and if we wanted to go to court they would sue us!! Anyway, time has gone on and this morning we had a letter from them saying that they owed us £123. No info on how they got that figure. We reckon they owe us £1500. Rang the FSA and they said that it goes back to from August 04 till Nov 09. What about before that then? We left in August 05. If they were doing things wrong in 04 they must have been doing it wrong before that too. We will write to them again and see what happens, but I'm sure not going to let this just slip by this time. Just afraid of going to court as we cant afford to be sued by them!

we got a letter today from gmac saying they where going to send us a cheque for 251.23 just looked at all my old statements from them and they charged us over 2300 in arears charges, unpaid dd and non payment by dd they also charged us over a 1000 in solcitors costs can i claim all this back these fees where from 06/2003 to 04/2007 when we paid the mortgage off thanks for any help buffy x

Buffy x

Buffy v Halifax WON all charges refunded

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm claiming back against GMAC as well, but you don't have to use one of these companies that charges you for getting your money back - that's what the FSO are for, and all it costs is a first class stamp!

I wrote to GMAC asking for my statements dating back to when I had my mortgage with them -I've since sold the house - and received no reply, so went straight to the FSO, put in a complaint with them, they contacted GMAC requesting the information, still no reply, so the FSO took it on.

About 2 weeks later, I got a phonecall from GMAC, advising that they were willing to pay me £555 as a "goodwill gesture", saying that the FSO could take months, "but we can have a nice cheque out to you before Christmas." Obviously I refused - I think they owe me at least £2400, and possibly as much as £4000.

You have to ask them for your statements first, and for this they'll charge you a max amount of £10. When you get these, go through them to figure out how much you think they owe you in charges, then use one of the template letters - you'll find them on this site, I'll go after I've typed this and have a look for them - requesting your money. They'll probably refuse, and might offer you a smaller amount. Don't accept this. At that stage, continue the complaint to the FSO. It isn't that complicated, honest.

And if you use the FSO, they can't sue you for that, you're entitled to complain if you think you have grounds. They're trying to scare you, and you should state that in your FSO complaint - they aren't entitled to tell you that you aren't allowed to complain! Cheek!

The thing that I'm wondering about at the moment is, I know that the arrears charges, and charges for using an alternative payment method from DD are unfair, as are solicitors fees, but I have this "Standard S" charge, which appears for the first time 18 months into my statements, and I haven't a clue what it is for. It isn't interest being added on, as my mortgage was interest plus capital.

If anyone has any clues on what these charges are, clue me in please, as this would take my claim to over £4000 if they turn out to be unfair as well.

and they want us to call them my charges went back to 2002

Ok, if I were you, I'd sack that company. These companies are making a lot of money from peoples claims, because people see the process as being scary, but all the template letters can be found on the net. You're at the stage where the mortgage company has offered you a derisory amount, this will be their final decision on the case, so as long as you have that final decision, you can download a complaints form for the FSO on the internet, print it off, complete it with the complaint details, and send it to them. Or use their sites internal mail forwarding, but make sure you take a note of the case reference number you'll get.

The FSO will investigate it from that point, and every penny you're awarded will be yours - you won't have to hand it over to some big fat cat company. At the moment, all they've done is request your statements, and forward a letter advising the mortgage providers that you think the charges are unfair, they haven't really done any work. I'd sack them, and go with the FSO if I were you.

Wrote to Gmac in 2007 requesting fees back for arrears and no DD set up. They gave us the usual answer and told to go to the FOS, with a 6 month period to do so. Personal circumstances and a bit of a mix up with information about Bank charges being held, stopped us from doing so until a month too late. FOB could then not help unless GMAC said they could, which they obviously said no to. As far as they were concerned case closed and if we wanted to go to court they would sue us!! Anyway, time has gone on and this morning we had a letter from them saying that they owed us £123. No info on how they got that figure. We reckon they owe us £1500. Rang the FSA and they said that it goes back to from August 04 till Nov 09. What about before that then? We left in August 05. If they were doing things wrong in 04 they must have been doing it wrong before that too. We will write to them again and see what happens, but I'm sure not going to let this just slip by this time. Just afraid of going to court as we cant afford to be sued by them!

They can't sue you for going to the FSO - it's your right to complain if you think you have grounds. These are obviously scare tactics. They're trying to convince you that you don't have any rights!

This site's brilliant, root around, or start a thread with any questions, and you'll get all the information you need, but I'm going through the same thing just now, without the assistance of any "claim" company trying to get part of my settlement when it comes, and with the assistance of the FSO.

Keep going with it, and good luck!

what form from the fso do i download

Just go to the FSO webiste, and there's tab for complaints. This takes you to their complaint form, you can fill it in onsite, you don't even need to print it off, and send it via their site as well, just make sure you take a note of the reference number you get once you've sent it.

Good luck!

Sorry it's the Financial Services Ombudsman. When you get to their site, there's a tab at the top of the page - how to complain. Click on that, and you'll see more information, and then just scroll down, there's a link to a form that you can either print off and fill in by hand, or submit through their site. It's important if you send it through the site to take a note of the reference number you get, because sometimes the forms get lost in their spam filter, so maybe a better idea to print off, and post to them.

we got a letter today from gmac saying they where going to send us a cheque for 251.23 just looked at all my old statements from them and they charged us over 2300 in arears charges, unpaid dd and non payment by dd they also charged us over a 1000 in solcitors costs can i claim all this back these fees where from 06/2003 to 04/2007 when we paid the mortgage off thanks for any help buffy x

Hi, Buffy. Don't accept this if it's in "full and final Settlement". Refuse it and go to Financial ombudsman for all of it. You can claim back all the charges, and yes, the amount would have been added to your original loan, and interest charged on that, which you can also claim back.

Large portions of the solicitors fees are also unfair/illegal. Type "unfair mortgage arrears fees" into your search engine, and you'll get a lot of information.

• 2 weeks later...

We received a letter from GMAC and it states that they are offering

£1016.59.

This is in two parts: a cheque for 566.59 and 450.00. Have you received

any cheques?

They state that the offer is in line with FSA guidelines and it is

reasonable. It may be that the FOS might not direct any further refunds

so an offer of £1016 may not be too unreasonable

Do let us know and please confirm what cheques have been received

Regards

JSK Claims