Abbey has 'lost' my money but refuse acknowledging me as customer

jerichosymdrome
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For thirty years I've had an account with the same branch building society that ended its days as Bradford & Bingley. And over the last 14 years I used a mail post box (as 'neighbours' were delivered my mail/opened it) where my statements were sent.

Of late my 'account' had the basest, minimal interest. I asked to change it, and told 'after September' I could be transferred to an Abbey (bank) account.

Last Wednesday (12th) waiting (ages) to get served, I noticed others had red passbooks. I just had a BB 'business card', a number written on it. I asked these people how they got their new books - they were simply given them. Eventually being served, I asked for the new (promised) account, and told I would have to be 'interviewed' (taking 50 minutes). I asked why since it was still my (30 year) branch. "When we open new accounts, we have to interview people". "But I asked those other people, and you hadn't interviewed them". "That is our protocol, and if you continue to be rude I have the right to refuse to serve you!" "I merely raised a question; that I’m not the one who is being rude, so I’d prefer you spoke to me as a an established customer and not address me like I was something you wished you hadn't stepped in. However, as a customer indirectly paying your wages, I too have rights and I refuse dealing with such an impolite arrogant upstart". I picked up my dog-eared business card and went to the next cashier. She was an immediate conciliatory improvement! But while she acknowledged my 30 year input, "that was BB and Abbey have different protocol". I now have to prove ID. I had nothing on the list she gave me - how many have Swiss Nationality, firearms licence and such like. The closest I had was my disabled badge - a photo, reference no, expiry date, my signature. “No, that is not on Abbey's protocol list”. “Car Insurance?” Ditto. "But don't worry, we have many other people in a similar situation to you, so I will ring someone who is used to dealing with this situation and if you come in on Monday I will tell you what we can do for you”.

[At the same time as my ‘difficulty’ with Abbey protocol, two other customers had wanted to put their matured Bonds straight into another account. Disallowed! Protocol insists they take a cheque (wait 10 days for clearance?) and then put that into their other account! (I joked that when they tried re-presenting that cheque, they may be accused of it being money laundering proceeds). Another customer wanted to withdraw a sum that included an odd £8 - they did not have £8 change. He said, “But you are a Bank, so you should have change”. They hadn’t any change, so he had to take the 'amount minus the £8. I learned of others woes with Abbey's

protocol].

Monday. Again a long wait to get ‘served’, but when it came to my turn the other cashiers suddenly disappeared from sight. In short, I was told my situation was unique; they don't have anyone else who doesn't fit Abbey protocol; she 'offered' to close my (BB? Abbey?) Account. Otherwise, I could continue using the (LOW RATE business card number - is it BB or Abbey?) which I have and I can still put money into. "Why should I keep putting MY money into this a low rate account at this branch, yet you totally fail to recognise me as a customer? To all intents, after 30 years I suddenly don’t exist because I don’t have the ID on Abbey’s protocol list!” " It is not our fault you do not comply with Abbey protocol!" "And neither is it my fault. Explain the difference between a photo driving licence and my disability registration; there is my photo, signature, a connectable reference and expiry date?" "It is not recognised as Abbey's protocol" "Why isn’t my car insurance acceptable, its a legal UK document/requirement?" [Ditto "protocol"]. "We can only do what is Abbey's written protocol. And besides, Abbey will not accept a box number for you"

[There is a saying, 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the slavish obsession of fools'].

"at the time you promised me an Abbey Account (post September), you must then have known of Abbey's protocol, so why didn't you do anything then?" said I, picking up their leaflet "commitment to our customers". [again, her 'response' was the protocol 'excuse'!].

I asked are they bothering to do anything, to further my account. "Yes, we will speak to someone again, and see if they can help" "Who is this person?" (she can't tell me - protocol!). “When will you next speak to this person?" “We 'phone them several times a week". "And you will keep trying to find a solution?" “Yes, but as I say Abbey doesn't have any other customer who doesn't comply with Abbey's protocol ID" "Might I suggest that considering how many times you repeatedly mentioned the word protocol in these last 5 minutes, and protocol is just as relevant to the way staff treat ALL customers, I trust you will keep trying to resolve the situation Abbey's protocol has created for me; that you will really make an effort to do your best for this long-standing customer, OK?" By now, she totally stonewalled me.

[Although I'm not enamoured to have a bank account, since it doesn’t suit my needs or lifestyle. Ie, I don’t have notable savings, or need for credit cards, etc. I simply cash my weekly pension giros at the post office. (PS: these are in a former name of 40 years - deed poll long lost). DWP tried to bully me into unnecessarily opening a bank account – they kept threatening "or else you won't get your money". I don’t bend to intimidation whether protocol or otherwise].

Someone suggested I register with a bank that is more flexible - is there such?. But, in view of my long-standing dealings with this same branch (and the staff know WHO I am). WHO WILL accept my disabled badge as proof of who I am, when to my 'own' branch/same staff I'm suddenly 'non persona'?

No, I don't have utility bill, tax return, credit card, passport, firearms licence, NI voters card, Swiss nationality identity card, etc, etc.].

[My efforts to keep this brief precludes fuller explanantion of not fitting Abbey's strict pigeon-holed protocol. NB: and to think I once had an Abbey National Mortgage!]

HELP, URGENT (please).

Sorry cant help but will push it up the list for you.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Only thing I can suggest is to write to the head of shabbey (santander) as they are now and demand a full explanation, or of course write to one of many newspapers with your story.

Seems like because you aint going to make them any money you dont fit their Protcol any more.

Keep up the fight, you never know one day thier protcol may come back and bite em on the ass

Sorry cant help but will push it up the list for you.

thank you for responding. Albeit neither of us has a magic wand, it does help to know there is someone 'out there'! adversity can be a lonely place when up their **** organisations abuse their power. Bless you.

I am graeful to you for responding. I had thought to write to Abbey/Santander, but from previous experience it is amazing how complaint letters 'go astray' even though you can prove sending by recorded delivery! However, once more into the fray - when I am fired enough to be the one to bite their b***. Ta for 'being there' - that helps.

For 30 years I’ve had the same branch building society account which ended as Bradford and Bingley.

The last 14 years I had a box number for my mail (and all BB statements, etc sent). [ie, since my wrongly delivered mail ‘neighbours’ opened/discarded].

I requested transferring my money to a better interest account (than 0.01%), and was told ‘after September’ I could have an Abbey Account.

In October I noticed every other in the queue had red (Abbey) passbooks. On asking how they got them – they were just given them. [i had a number written on a BB business card in lieu of my former plastic BB account card].

I asked the cashier for the ‘promised’ Abbey account, and told I must have a (50 minute) interview. Also, Abbey won’t accept a box number address. [The above address is by my current NFA – my landlady’s repossession ensured my sudden eviction!].

Also, in short, I don’t have any required data on Abbey’s lists. I offered my disabled badge. Ie, my photo, signature, identification number, recognised body (Devon County Council) and expiry date – similar to a photo driving licence. “It is not on our list!” Again, fast forwarding, they reneged offering to help - viz, “we have many other customers in the same predicament. We will try for a solution”, into “There is no one else who does not comply with Abbey’s protocol”. [i was peppered with this word]. Instead, as I picked up their “Commitment to our Customers” leaflet, she ‘offered’ closing my account “So that you can go elsewhere”.

I am not happy with Abbey’s attitude, not least by the (young blonde staff’s) abject arrogance/rudeness, but why should I go elsewhere? [i can’t help being a ‘low income’ State Pensioner – it was never an issue/problem (before Abbey). I used to have an [b]Abbey National[/b] Mortgage!].

Also, it beggars questions:

1. what's wrong with employees/"managers" (sic) using basic common sense?

2. Where is my money? If no longer with BB, then Abbey/Santander should honour an account as they have taken over MY money (without my knowledge, prior agreement or permission).

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the slavish obsession of fools, albeit the staff know me/who I am. Thus, surely my 30 year loyalty should entitle me not now being discriminated against simply because I don’t fit/tick all the ‘right’ boxes?

Please help resolve this. I know the branch (and HO) staff will not bother to do so.

PS: I live very simple and a basic existence. I don’t have firearms licence – luckily, by my mal-treatment in this fiasco! (joke, OK). I don’t have Swiss Nationality, N/Irish voters card, passport, tax return, bank account (thanks to Abbey), credit/debit cards, etc, etc, etc. My pension Giros are in a former name from 40 years ago – Deed Poll long lost.

What you seem to not understand is that any banking institution has by law, to verify your identity, so that they can identify money launderers, terrorists etc, now, if you are unable or unwilling to be be able to provide any details, how do you expect them to help you?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Two threads merged.

jerichosymdrome, I have unapproved your third thread on this, please continue to post on this thread as it makes it easier for people to help you.

I have also changed the Title of the thread.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert