DHSS renter.. is not paying rent!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Posting for my sis-in-law who has a 2 bed flat that she is renting out to a DHSS tennant.

The rent of £900 per month is now one month in arrears, (and the mortgage people will soon will calling). He promised it would be in her bank this morning, she has just checked and its not there and the mortgage is due today.

The guy keeps coming up with excuses as to why its not been paid..ie been robbed, not been paid, lost the money, had his phone stolen so could not contact her to let her know the money was late...you name it he says it!

the letting agents say its not their prob, and the DHSS i believe pay the money direct to the tennant, so in their eyes its been paid!

She now wants him out and wants to put the flat up for sale as this is the second tennant that has caused these problems, she is sick of it...and wants rid of the flat.

What can she do!? I think he has to miss another payment before court action am i right?

Any advice in the meantime pls

cheers MJ:)

Edited by mandyjayne
edited to clarify the first paragraph

CAG Depends Purely Upon Donations. Please help us to continue helping you, and give what you can - Thank you:grin:

Click to donate

Please click my scales, if you feel the need;)

Hi steve

what i think it is..

She is with a letting agency and was happy to have Dhss tenants as well as private. Some landlords state specifically "NO DHSS" she was flexible.

does that make sense?

you would have thought the DHSS rent would be a dead cert...but they no longer pay the landlord direct, it goes via the tenant..then in turn the tenant decides to keep the money, you dont get paid but the social have no comeback because they in actual fact have paid!

thanks MJ:)

Edited by mandyjayne

CAG Depends Purely Upon Donations. Please help us to continue helping you, and give what you can - Thank you:grin:

Click to donate

I think it is up to the tenant to tell DWP who to pay the rent to. They won't pay it direct unless he asks them to. Doubt they pay the whole £900 anyway, he's probably supposed to make up the difference.

Surely agency should be doing more? After all, isn't that what they charge for?

After 2 months arrears they will pay it to the landlord. This has been interpreted in recent case law to mean the second month's rent is now due, in addition to one month's arrears.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

As Jan4a correctly states, the DWP can only pay directly to the landlord if the tenant is agreeable to this.

In regard to eviction, she will be required to follow the correct eviction procedure.

What type of tenancy is it, and is the property in England or Scotland?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

As Jan4a correctly states, the DWP can only pay directly to the landlord if the tenant is agreeable to this.

In regard to eviction, she will be required to follow the correct eviction procedure.

..again..surely the agency should be doing a lot more in this ?

Whether the agent gets involved depends on the agreement with the landlady. It might be tenant find only. The landlady may wish to query very closely whether the agent was at fault in any duty it agreed to to properly check the tenant out.

She probably needs to get all the information from the dss to resolve the difference of opinion as to whether she could get the dss to pay directly.

She can't start action to force the person out till two months' rent are owing.

My comment about checking her insurance for legal cover reminds me that one of the reasons for not taking dss is that some landlord policies do not cover dss/students tenants.

Thanks Erika

its in england - london in fact

Click to donate

I think it is up to the tenant to tell DWP who to pay the rent to. They won't pay it direct unless he asks them to

Not any more. a tenant can no longer request payment direct to the landlord unless there are 8 weeks arrears or the tenant is 'vulnerable', even then the tenant has to prove this.

It used to be the case that LL could apply to have the payments direct when the tenant was 8 weeks in arrears, due to a recent decision the LL can apply when the tenant fails to pay their rent on the 2nd due date. For some councils you have to write and request direct payment, or councils will have the appropriate forms on their website.