Please Help- Strange Abbey Statement?

tiggywinkle2009
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been in dispute with Abbey since 2006 regarding bank charges. Basically, I was made redundant and I asked both my home branch of Abbey and my local branch to close my account to avoid charges, I signed paperwork and gave over my cashpoint card (I only had a basic account at this time) and never heard anymore from them.

In Dec 2006, I received a letter saying I was £360 overdrawn, through charges, explained to branch managed who closed my account and they weren't helpful. Went through the CCA route (no CCA provided), then down the Subject Access line, again I sent the fee but received nothing except debt collection letters from BCW. I wrote to BCW stating Abbey had no CCA and did not comply with the subject access request and they passed it back to Abbey.

Abbey acknowledged receipt of a letter of complaint in the summer of 2007 but I have never heard anything more from them. I asked them to refund the charges, bring the account to zero and close it, maybe naively, I assumed it was done.

Today, I received an Abbey letter saying 'We enclose the following' and TRNSACTN SUMMARY STATMENT 1/2 and trans action summary statement pic is below.

Can anyone help me as to what this suggests, are the saying I now owe them £758.89? I rang the number and it says 'We have recently sent you a statement confirm the recent transactions on your account, it is for information purposes only. If your account has recently been transferred or assigned, you will hear from that company shortly, if you haven't already. Goodbye.'

From what the recorded message says, I feel Abbey are trying to say I owe them this money, but wouldn't this show as a minus figure on my account statement.

This is the first I have heard from Abbey, so any help would be appreciated, I was going to write a letter but I don't want to incriminate myself, I believe a mistake happend when closing my account yet this has never been dealt with.

Thanks

SCAN0003a.jpg?t=1255772784

oops apologies, my understanding is that they have to send you at least 1 statement per year. You are in credit though

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

That's OK, it is a long saga with them. So, the telephone number kind of implies the account has been assigned elsewhere?

I've got married since I opened the account (& believed it was closed), so IF I am in credit, I only have this statement as proof I had/have an account with Abbey.

Not 100% convinced I am in credit, given the saga but IF I am, how should I go about getting it with no card, nothing? Certainly don't want them having money that MIGHT be mine!!

Hi,

When you 'closed' the account, what was the Balance.

I take it you never followed up the charges claim.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The balance was £20ish I think.

I did follow up the harges, however it was after the hold was put on but I received no response, although did send a recorded delivery letter and I still have the slip and printed out delivery confirmation from Royal Mail in my file.

How far did you go with the claim, did you file at court.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry for jumping on the band wagon but I have just recd a letter like this showing the amount £818.27p I did file at court claim was transfered to the Mercantile Court at the Strand so abbey paid out and costs too. What should I do now? They are such cheeky Baskets! My claim was settled in 2007

Hi, Blysie.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying, you have had a charges claim paid out, so what is your situation now.

Regards.

Scott.

I recd a letter from abbey like the one posted above, this is the only contact i have had with abbey since they paid me my bank charges back in 2007. I just wanted to know if any one had any idea what to do as the person above said when she contacted abbey they said she owed the money showing on her statement.

Hi,

Best thing to do maybe to send a Subject Access Request to Abbey, that will let you know the score regards, payments or charges applied to the account.

Regards.

Scott.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update again.

Abbey have started sending letters to me stating I need to repay the amount shown, I have had a debt collector come to my door recently from Abbey, told him where to go thanks to this site!

I have SAR'd them again shortly after receiving the letter above and still NO response.

The letters I am receiving are showing a minus figure of the same amount above yet I have had another statement which is exactly like the one above, with the same balance but no minus sign???

I am VERY confused to say the least.

I just received the exact same statement from SANTANDER showing a balance of 670. I closed the account and did not owe anything as the charges they repayed me etc cleared the account. Santander are saying it is a fraud letter but the rep I was speakin to was like a trained monkey and couldnt converse about anything out of the norm.

He gave me the fraud number which is only open during office hours! hahaha OBVIOUSLY!! People dont steal after 5! I am very confused as to what all this means ?????????

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I had yet another statement yesterday, again showing a positive balance.

No response to my SAR which I am just doing a letter to follow up.

However, I received a cashcard today???

I don't have any other Abbey/Santander products so can only assume that it relates to this account?

Why would they send a cash card if I was alledgedly in so much debt with them.

This makes absolutely no sense anymore.

TW

Are there any details on the Card that relate to this account.

Have you heard from any DCA's regarding this account.

Best thing to do is follow up your SAR request.

Like you say this is a strange one.

Regards.

Scott.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Further update, another statement received, same balance.

No details on the card which was sent and as yet, still no response to SAR

I have again rung them and they insist the balance is negative or zero, depends which person I speak to!

Another recorded delivery letter sent this morning and slet's see if that brings any joy.