Police controlled traffic census

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone tell me the legalities?

Around where I live/drive, the there seem to be fairly regular traffic census's.

You may have seen them, there is a coned off inner lane wherever the road is wide enough, or sometimes I've seen the entire lane coned off on a quieter side road.

The police select seemingly random cars and direct them into the coned area where a non-policeman questions the drivers and then they are let on their way. I've been questioned once a while back and it's "how often do you drive, what's the purpose, how many passengers usually etc."

Frankly I have no problem with the police using their powers to stop traffic for genuine police matters, of which there are many, but I'm loathe to be stopped by the police to answer DOT questions!

The past couple of times I've been adamant that I'm not answering any questions and would raise an objection to being stopped for that purpose! But........ they waved me through:rolleyes:

I think it's a mis-use of police powers. But I'd like to know where I stand for future reference. Does anyone know the legalities behind it?

Where I live it isnt the Police its VOSA and yes i agree with you its atotal pain in the arse when its 8am on the main road to London and your going to work and they decide they will pull you and "check you car madam".

Its a thorough check and if they find one thing wrong they impound your car. Are you sure its not VOSA and definately the polce as it seems like a massive waste of poice time!!

Is it an accident blackspot?

Has there been a spate of burgalrys?

Is it a drug dealing area?

Younever know they may be waiting to catch someone but if there their all the time it just sounds like there not very busy !!

Can anyone tell me the legalities?

Around where I live/drive, the there seem to be fairly regular traffic census's.

You may have seen them, there is a coned off inner lane wherever the road is wide enough, or sometimes I've seen the entire lane coned off on a quieter side road.

The police select seemingly random cars and direct them into the coned area where a non-policeman questions the drivers and then they are let on their way. I've been questioned once a while back and it's "how often do you drive, what's the purpose, how many passengers usually etc."

Frankly I have no problem with the police using their powers to stop traffic for genuine police matters, of which there are many, but I'm loathe to be stopped by the police to answer DOT questions!

The past couple of times I've been adamant that I'm not answering any questions and would raise an objection to being stopped for that purpose! But........ they waved me through:rolleyes:

I think it's a mis-use of police powers. But I'd like to know where I stand for future reference. Does anyone know the legalities behind it?

Rather ironic that it would probably take less time to stop than it did to come on here and complain about it.

The HAVE to have these traffic surveys otherwise, they wont know what is happening, and of course, the surveys HAVe to happen at the time that they want to have the information about, the police are just there for the numpties that start getting antsey at that time of the morning.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

@ green and mean

I dont think so my brothers car was stopped and stripped and searched for over an hour and a half, ony to be told "yes your fine to go." It was a random check. Made him late for work, it was an inconvenience.

AND this site is for people asking for help so why come on and make a sarcastic comment to the above poster. It helps noone.

Edited by MRSWESTHAM
error

It's not VOSA, around here they tend to do that stuff with a camera car and numberplate recognition systems and a carefully sectioned off layby. I have a PCN thread going elsewhere on here as a result of one of these very rercently near my house. Having said that I've seen the people they pull on those and there are some very dubious looking vehicles and occupants caught by them:eek:

The one last night was a census, and had a tripod sign on the road to that effect.

I'm under the impression that the police can "control" traffic for a number of reasons, safety, traffic management, emergency etc. but to stop you have to have a reasonable suspicion. I know that's a loaded point....."I've stopped you because I have reasonable suspicion that your tyre is bald" for example..... but I want to know if I can just say "For what reason have you stopped me officer? and.... I'm sorry I'm not answering any questions"

The HAVE to have these traffic surveys otherwise, they wont know what is happening, and of course, the surveys HAVe to happen at the time that they want to have the information about, the police are just there for the numpties that start getting antsey at that time of the morning.

Not true, the police are there as only they have the legal power to ask a car to stop, nothing to do with being 'antsey', I used to work for a transport consultancy and we often did this type of work for local government, very rarely DOT, incidentenly the police are paid very handsomely for this service.

Andy

Rather ironic that it would probably take less time to stop than it did to come on here and complain about it.

G&M that comment is not dis-similar to the argument put forward to support ID cards; "if you've got nowt to hide, you've got nowt to fear".

The point the OP is making, I believe, is that if it is just a survey, we should have the choice as to whether we take part in it or not. If the OP has done nothing wrong, like 99.99% of the rest of us, we should be free to go about our daily business without being accosted in such a way without our agreement.

Well my advice would be, if you are stopped for a traffic survey, all you have to do is ask "Is this a police matter, have I been stopped for a legal reason?" If not, then I am sure that you will be free to go.

But I would say that these surveys are conducted for a reason, they are not advertised because people would try and avoid them and then nothing would get done.

People whine and whinge that nothing is done in traffic/accident black spots but when measures are starting to be taken to assess the problem, they are still whinging.

If it is the police doing a random stop and check, tough, the police have the right to stop and search.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

@andydd, that was my assumption.... I thought only the Police, "proper" traffic wardens(Met etc.) and aremed service during national state of emergency(War etc.) had the power to stop. SO...... is a private consultancy like you worked for working on behalf of local government operating in a "grey area" by using the Police for that purpose?

Situation is that you have to stop when demanded by the police officer but dont have to answer any of the survey questions, but lets face it, you might as well, local govs, etc need this info to plan new roads, buses, trains, etc. But also having worked in one, consultancies are 80% a waste of money, asking questions, planning routes for schemes that will never be built. Billions has been spent of Crossrail without a single cm being laid, although it is inching nearing to actually being started.

@crem, exactly my point.... I often stop and respond to surveys when out on my local high street and have often partaken in telephone surveys and doorstep surveys, I have no objection to being asked, but that's precisely my point. If they hung around natural stop points and came over and said "Sir would you mind being surveyed? If so could you pull in over there" I probably would! I just onject to being directed in by the Police when I've donme nothing wrong.

Not true, the police are there as only they have the legal power to ask a car to stop, nothing to do with being 'antsey', I used to work for a transport consultancy and we often did this type of work for local government, very rarely DOT, incidentenly the police are paid very handsomely for this service.

Andy

Thanks for clarifying that Andy, glad to know that we are not having to pay the police for this :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

"People whine and whinge that nothing is done in traffic/accident black spots but when measures are starting to be taken to assess the problem, they are still whinging."

A valid point but you could randomly stop a load of drivers who've never been there before? Frankly the best people to ask about accident black spots are the local residents. They know exactly what causes the accidents and regularly witness the accidents themselves and the aftermath.

@crem, exactly my point.... I often stop and respond to surveys when out on my local high street and have often partaken in telephone surveys and doorstep surveys, I have no objection to being asked, but that's precisely my point. If they hung around natural stop points and came over and said "Sir would you mind being surveyed? If so could you pull in over there" I probably would! I just onject to being directed in by the Police when I've donme nothing wrong.

..perhaps they pull you over coz you look iffy :)

I've always understood that you have to stop when directed to do so by a Police Officer in uniform, and of course more recently by these "Traffic Officers", but that you do not have to tell the people who are "surveying" anything, unless you want to.

Years ago, when working for Post Office/BT, I used to tell them that "It is subject to the Official Secrets Act", which it was, of course - that used to stop them.

Some of our drivers then used to go up the road, turn round, and get stopped again, and again, until everybody got fed up with the game - or at least, that's what I was told!

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

I've been Googling around, and it appears that the Police can stop a car on suspicion of criminality... or intended criminality, Drink driving by driving behaviour and roadworthyness, but also to "establish" insurance and tax and MOT. That last one introduces the "random" aspect, but I'm still intrigued as to how it would apply to a Census. The random choice vehicle checks of larger numbers of cars where they've set up with lots of people would appear to need prior authorisation(from a local court I'd imagine?)

The main thing however as mentioned by serving and ex officers, was the obvious one of passing "the attitude test" first!

I ought to point out that I wasn't looking for an excuse to scream "P#=s off Rozzer... you'll never take me alive!!!!" :lol:

I've been Googling around, and it appears that the Police can stop a car on suspicion of criminality... or intended criminality, Drink driving by driving behaviour and roadworthyness, but also to "establish" insurance and tax and MOT. That last one introduces the "random" aspect
I wonder how this works in the modern world, where VED, MOT and insurance are all accessible online and in real-time to the police. Does this also extend to to checking for a driver's license to drive?

@ green and mean

I dont think so my brothers car was stopped and stripped and searched for over an hour and a half, ony to be told "yes your fine to go." It was a random check. Made him late for work, it was an inconvenience.

AND this site is for people asking for help so why come on and make a sarcastic comment to the above poster. It helps noone.

I've never heard of anyone having their car stripped down for a traffic census, I think you are the one thats not helping by going off topic. Obviously the Police can stop a vehicle and check if its fit and legal to be on the road the topic is about stopping to ask questions for a survey.

No its not for a census and I never stated it was. It was a random check carried out by VOSA. I was merely stating the fact that the random checks (for any purpose unless they suspect a criminal activity) are a nuisance to those that have to go to work or be some where.

I think you have issues and like to cause confrontation and be bitchy to people. Usually I find people like that are very unhappy in themselves therefore I will cease to retaliate and hope that you find the help you need in the future.

I think you have issues and like to cause confrontation and be bitchy to people. Usually I find people like that are very unhappy in themselves therefore I will cease to retaliate and hope that you find the help you need in the future.

I don't think it's being bitchy, I think it's being witty, nothing wrong with a bit of witticism now and again.

No its not for a census and I never stated it was. It was a random check carried out by VOSA. I was merely stating the fact that the random checks (for any purpose unless they suspect a criminal activity) are a nuisance to those that have to go to work or be some where.

I think if you re read the thread the only person that is confontational is you, I hardly think making sweeping judgments on someones mental state is not being bitchy or confrontational? I merely pointed out that answering a few brief questions at the roadside probably took less time than coming on here to complain about it. It was you that decided to argue by going off topic and ranting about roadside vehicle checks, which has very little if anything to do with traffic surveys. For your information traffic offences are 'criminal activity' so if a Police officer or VOSA suspects your car is un-roadworthy they can and will pull you over to check your vehicle complies with the law. Whilst it may be an inconvenience it is probably less of an inconvenience than having to take the day off work to visit your child in hospital because a car driver failed to stop at a crossing due to defective brakes or any other scenario that could possibly occur due to a vehicle not being in a roadworthy condition.