I am so angry today

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

mr ton.......................I consider this discussion to be puerile, and I'm not going to continue it.................I've tried other ways to defuse this disagreement, but you chose to be aggressive there as well.

I'll leave you to the belief that everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say is arrogant and an animal-hater, and I'll finish by referring you to post #29 on this thread

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well anyone who helps animals has my vote..it's notoriously difficult to get real help from the RSPCA despite the glowing TV programmes where they appear to send rapid response units to rescue mealworms from deep wells aided by collies called Black Bob.

This is Stevie the GREY squirrel:

His only crime was being abandoned by his mum when he fell out of a tree whilst still nursing.

No one was interested. Vermin, they said. Finally a nice vet said I'm actually supposed to put him down, but I'll remove the records of the visit if you want to hand rear him yourself.

So I did. It was illegal, but so what. A playful, intelligent, gentle creature who sat cuddling me while I worked on my PC. He's pictured on my arm. Prince Charles reckons they should be culled. Instead they should sort out the environment for the reds, it's not the greys fault they're better at surviving! Steve finally went to a lovely squirrel sanctuary, got married and had loads of kids :)

Elsa x

stevie 016.jpg

Ah what a lovely story. I love the Squirrels. I have 6 or 7 visit the garden every day. Sometimes you see all of them at the same time.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I too have squiggles:p

We use to have 5 regular visiting our garden for food but now we only have 2. I hope the others didn't become road carpet:eek:

They're such characters, he slept in a little furry hamster bed, flat on his back with his feet and tail up in the air, and had a cuddly toy he used to play fight with. The place he went to supplied the squirrel for Willie Wonka and the chocolate factory! (Wasn't Stevie though :()

I take my hat off to you Elsa.Need more ppl like us.An amazing story...Have nursed many babies..Hedgehogs mostly.. and a baby fox that had bit most of his tongue of due to being attacked by dogs,,He now lives at a wildlife sanctary that i work for..He adorable but can not be realeased in2 the wild

Even though I have ducks, I adore foxes, beautiful fey intelligent creatures. It's our responsibility to protect our animals, not the foxes to stay away. Animals will try and eat to just survive, that's nature not nastiness..unlike DCA's who should definitely be culled!! :D

Good on you babydoll for working with rescued animals. I do what I can myself whenever things arise (my daughter constantly rescues things and sends them to me LOL) but it's always been my dream to start a proper rescue centre where Britain's wildlife could be seen, petted and understood by schoolchildren, to help them understand how intelligent and worthwhile they are.

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

Next the story of Eidy the rescued mallard..but my dinners ready!!! :D

CAUTION BAD TASTE Scroll past if easily offended :p

A L'Orange?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Definitely!! Those Royal beggars will kill and eat anything, just for fun, be suprised if they don't have Corgi Chasseur on the menu...

Going back to Eidy Duck..LOL sorry for the cliff hanger.

I used to love crispy duck but now I have them as pets I'd choke on it!

Eidy had a broken leg when the drakes on her lake kept divebombing her mother. Only palm sized, my daughter waded in and rescued her after Mum ultimately got killed. (The duckling was palm sized, not my daughter...) Eidy then made an 80 mile journey here to stay with my neice, and made a full recovery. She reached full size in June but seemed very lonely all on her own in the garden. When I got my ducks, the breeder gave me a rescued young male Mallard to keep Eidy company.

It was love at first sight, they were inseperable. She showed him the ropes, groomed him and protected him.

Then one day a few weeks ago, my neice heard a loud quack in the garden, ran out and Eidy was gone. Her mate was going frantic running up and down squawking.

The area was searched..all the neighbours were on duck watch but nothing. Just one feather left on the lawn.

Opinion is divided. Sparrowhawk? Would be more feathers. Fox? Someone would have seen, heard something. Ducks have a LOT of feathers.

My own view, having seen what happened with MY ducks, is that Eidy suddenly realised she could fly. What they do at first is flap their wings while running, then give a big suprised QUACK!!! if they actually leave the ground :D

That's what I like to think happened, and that she caught a sudden gust of wind, took off and got lost. Maybe she'll come back one day..

In the meantime, two more ducklings have now been found to keep her bereaved mate company :)

Ahhhhhhh

I forgot to mention, in keeping with Mr Tons theme, is that what made me mad was that the RSPCA were told many times that the ducklings were at risk. They were dwindling each day, then left totally unprotected after their mother was killed. My daughter was constantly on the phone to them. She and her bf built a small raft for them to sleep on, about 6ft from shore, so that the cats and foxes wouldn't get them. The RSPCA couldn't be bothered to bring waders, let alone a boat. Eventually only Eidy was left, and my daughter caught her quite easily because of the injured leg.

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

:mad:well I think Prince Charles should be culled

I think he has a point in stopping grey squirrels from spreading north and wiping red squirrels out. I don’t think a mass cull is the answer, but I don’t see any alternatives. Reds and greys cannot survive together as greys are much more efficient at eating nuts and storing fat, whereas reds will stash a cache of nuts for the winter.

As I've posted in here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/209291-vegetarianism.html I believe that eating an animal that has had a life is more humane than eating a chicken that’s had about 1 square foot of space all its life (all 50 days of it), and I don't believe an animal has more right to life because it has a fluffy tail or looks cute. So, following that logic, Prince Charles had better like squirrel pie (and not have a nut allergy!)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Humans are omniverous, they need protein and vegetable matter. I don't like it but I don't have a problem eating animals reared for that purpose, providing it is reared humanely in good conditions. Stock reared for the table is usually genetically bred for placidity and low sentience.

Fluffiness doesn't come into it..I can't eat anything that I've personally made friends with! LOL.

Wild animals are different. They maintain family and social groups. I abhor the need to destroy these in the name of sport, or for misplaced native patriotism.

If fluffy doesn't matter for the grey, why for the red?

Scotland’s Environment Minister Michael Russel chimed in with his support, saying the reds must be saved because of their beauty.

What sort of a half c+cked scientific reason is that? Greys are just as beautiful.

More about other more humane methods of control here:

Advocates for Animals - Squirrels United - supporting ALL squirrels

Guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one locutus :)

I believe we probably have a lot of common ground. For example, you have a lot of experience with rescuing animals... I used to work in a chicken factory for a short period of time, and the life of the chickens is barely worth them living it! These chickens are commodities only and the companies will do the bare minimum to keep them above the standards set in legislation which I believe falls far below the levels that most consumers would be comfortable with if they knew the truth.

I also think we've both got more knowledge than most of how cruel we humans actually can be to animals.

I believe that red squirrels should be given resources to survive. I wasn't aware of the possibility to a vaccine for squirrel pox. It's probably under-funded until we move from bird flu to swine flue to squirrel flu :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I eat meat too, but since I've got in on the fringes of wildlife rescue, there is less and less I can actually eat now. I used to love a bacon sarnie, then I visited a rare breed pig display - oh they were so beautiful and clearly very intelligent - I can't eat bacon or sausages or pork now. Then I helped a friend with a small holding hand rear two lambs, no more roast lamb dinners for me after that.

I'm fond of a steak - or i was - I'm one of those numpties who got trapped in a field full of playful heifers not so long ago and if my border collie hadn't decided - at the last minute - to do what he bloody well should I was at real risk of being trampled. But whilst waiting to be trampled to death I got such a good look at them, oh those beautiful soleful longlashed eyes! Not even a burger will go down now. I'm afraid I;m done for meatwise, have to stick to chocolate, fags and tea and toast now!

When I was 17 I had to kill a squirell that had been hit badly by a car, half its head had gone but it was alive, so I had to break what was left of its neck - I'd never done it before and haven't ever done it again and hope i never have to. (I will do it should the need ever arise because i can't stand to see suffering , but if I've someone with me next time I'd prefer they did it!) It put me off my food entirely for almost 6 weeks - everytime I went to eat something I saw this poor creature and puked. Mother thought i was going to need counselling at one stage!

And actually, in some cases, the police do have to be called, for a run over dog, horse, cattle etc. Near to where I live in the New Forest, you MUST ring 999, because if you' ve been stupid enough to hit and injure one of the ponies, (or even if you are aware of a road fatality) and if it is at night, it creates a hazard for every other road user. Fair enough the Verderers come and deal with it, but the first port of call in that case is 999. An escaped horse charging up and down a main road, a flock of geese on the M1, two escaped pigs from the abbatoir - who deals with all these incidents? Police in the first instance because they have immediate access to all the other services. Anyway most forces actually have a wild life officer, did we all know that? I've used mine several times to stop tenants taking axes and god knows what to adders etc.

And any vet, presented with injured wild life should treat it for free, and if they won't don't let them have your custom with your own animals.

I suppose its very much each to his own, but for me I wouldn;t leave any animal lying injured - last summer I picked up a fox from under a car thinking she had been hit - she was actually dying of advanced mange. I cuddled her, across my shoulder and chest area, took her home and mum nursed her til she passed away peacefully about half an hour later. Three days later I had the most disgusting attack of fox mite/mange right across the areas I had cuddled her, mum had it all over her arms and a bit on her face. Off we went to the GP, who at approx 10 years old, wouldn;t believe what it was, so we ended up having to go the the vets, who wrote down for the GP what the problem was and after a return to the 10 year old GP, we were actually treated! It took 6 weeks til it had cleared up, it was vile, and I pity any animal who has it.

Everyone is different I suppose and we all have different priorities in life, but try as I might, I can see NO excuse for not even trying to assist an animal in distress. I always think about what we get animals to do for us humans - and I think we should treat them (and other humans I suppose) with respect.

Absolutely. I do sympathise about the fox, they are beautiful and intelligent creatures. Fox hunting is one of my biggest hates..indeed any killing for pleasure sport is totally reprehensible to me.

A lot of foxes have mange, sadly, but Derbyshire fox rescue do a homeopathic mange cure which you can order online and drop onto food to leave out for them. As I've mentioned elsewhere I used it on my dog to great effect, together with Naeem Shampoo, which kills the mites and has been tested at Edinborough University and found highly effective against nits too! It's a bit like Tea Tree Oil but more effective. (And I don't have shares in it LOL.)

Absolutely. I do sympathise about the fox, they are beautiful and intelligent creatures. Fox hunting is one of my biggest hates..indeed any killing for pleasure sport is totally reprehensible to me.

A lot of foxes have mange, sadly, but Derbyshire fox rescue do a homeopathic mange cure which you can order online and drop onto food to leave out for them. As I've mentioned elsewhere I used it on my dog to great effect, together with Naeem Shampoo, which kills the mites and has been tested at Edinborough University and found highly effective against nits too! It's a bit like Tea Tree Oil but more effective. (And I don't have shares in it LOL.)

Well, I thaught I'd try some Neem Oil 'cos my kids get nits from their dancing school and from friends, tried it today as per instructions on the bottle..... the stuff STINKS but it really works! (Even better than the synthetic chemical nit stuff!) Combed about 5 or 6 from each daughter, and they were all dead! I'll find you elsewhere on CAG and tickle your scales!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

[RANT]

We know a couple of girls at our kids school whos parents do nothing about their kids with nits... I've seen the head lice walking on the hair and bobbles. It has been costing me £5 per week in term time on products to treat my kids. I get them nit free for the holidays and then thats it normally, but these 2 girls just started going to the dancing school that my kids go to. (hense the re-infestation!)

The school does nothing, the parents do nothing and we can do nothing to prevent it. Other than the nits, the girls are lovely (its the parents that I could slap :p) so I don't like banning my kids from playing with them girls.

All it would need it the nit nurse to come to school and ban the kids until they got rid of the nits. The parents would soon get rid of them if they couldn't sit outside the pub all day drinking :(

[/RANT]

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

got the oil (really really stinks! but it works well), had quiet and slightly louder words with all their teachers and headmistress :p (who says her hands are tied, she cannot keep the kids off school indefinatly) had a word with the "parents" who say they try every night but get shirty. I may just order them some of the oil :p Hope they enjoy the smell as much as I do ;)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar