style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My flatmate and I are due tio move out at the end of the month and, among other things have only just got our inventory.

This has been a long drawn out, 17 month, argument with the agents who were meant to provide a copy when we moved in.

Apart from a number of items that were not inlcuded on the report, which I have now emailed them details of and am awaiting an agreement from the landlord, I have noted that all the rooms, appliances ect have been classed as domestically cleaned and in most cases it was even stated that they were not "professionally" cleaned at the beginning of the tenancy.

Our lease stipulates we must have professional cleaning carried out before we leave, this seems fairly clear cut but as the property (as stated in the inventory) was only cleaned to a domestic standard when we moved in are we obliged to arrange/pay for for professionals or can we just ensure it is the same standard of cleanliness as when we moved in (i.e carried out domestically by ourselves)?

Also we have a loop pile carpet in the living room which has been cut and joined in the recess of a bay window.

Whilst hoovering a strand of carpet from this join was caught and by the time the hoover was shut off there as a 1 foot long and 1/2 inch wide patch unravelled.

I have spoken to a qualified carpet fitter who has stated that loop pile carpets should not be cut and joined in for this very reason.

On this basis can the landlord deduct from our deposit as I would look at this as either fair wear and tear or that the carpet was unfit for purpose, especially as the T&C's of our lease say we much keep the place cleaned which would include regualer hoovering.

Many thanks in advance, DB

If you are moving out, what on earth are you doing discussing the incoming inventory?? Don't sign anything now. It is too late and not your problem.

If the agent did not carry out a proper checkin and inventory, which you agreed and signed, at the beginning of the tenancy, they are going to have a hard job proving any damages!!

I would point out that you took the property without a professional clean so will be returning it in the same manner. You may have an argument regarding the carpet, but could resist this also on the basis that it was damaged when you moved in. How can they prove otherwise??

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Bit of an update,

Further to me sending the details of ammendments to the agents they have replied that the landlord will need to agree to any changes and that the company they use is very thorough and, as far as they are concerned, the inventory is valid.

The landlord called and arranged to inspect the condition of the property with me and we went through all the various issues to be ammended.

As usual he was very vague and to each item he responeded "yeah ok, thats fine" but did not confirm any intentions regarding the checkout and if he would actually attempt to deduct anything from our deposit.

Despite emails I have not yet had a reply as to whether the ammendements have been agreed and wonder if the above makes any difference to my previous email.

DB