Washer Catches Fire Damages Kitchen Claim Advice Now Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BOUGHT WASHING MACHINE FROM FINANCE CO IT IS 23 MTHS OLD .NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH IT .MOTHER BOARD REPLACED TWICE VARIOUS OTHER PARTS REPLACED IN THE SHORT PERIOD. TODAY IT CAUGHT FIRE WHILST WORKING IN THE KITCHEN .DESTROYING THE WASHER DRYER ALSO THE UNIT TOPS AND SIDES OF KITCHEN UNITS SEVERE SMOKE DAMAGE .WATER UNDER ALL UNITS DUE TO FIRE BRIGADE LIKE FLOODED ECT .the finance co say its the manufacturers fault under warranty ect .so do i claim on who is responsible.my insurers do i claim from .advice needed asp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, This falls under the Supply of Goods Act 1973 (as amended). Check this link for a letter template to send to the finance company. It is the finance company who needs to sort this out for you, not the manufacturer.

Note than in this link there is a basic mention of your rights, including your right to claim damages. In my opinion you should therefore mention in the letter the damage that has been caused by the Washing Machine and state that you want the Washing Machine to be replaced and that you want compensation for damage caused by the faulty machine.

Consumer Direct - Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973 ? Hire Purchase Agreement complaint letter to the finance company.

also see here:

Product Liability, Defective Products, Unsafe Products Fact Sheet - BIS

The CPA can enable a claim for damage against the manufacturer, but you won't be able to claim the cost of the item that caused the damage. Strange, i know. this means you could claim the cost of the damage to the kitchen, but not the washer.

a contract claim is better as you can recover all your losses providing the supplier/finance co don't vanish.

(but it is the sale of goods act 1979, not '73...)

updated you guys and ladies .thanks for your help .indeset the manufactuer sent out there engineer.he said it was beyond repair ,we knew that .indeset phoned and wanted the washer back to investigate where the suspect fire started.should i let them have it back or not . as for buy as you view the financer they decided not to turn up at all appt made for today they stayed away. what is next .fire brigade investigation fire started in the mother board .maybe a fault in the washer.

right a futher update . buy as you view have turned up very late but better late than never. they said they can replace the washer as im covered on a warranty i took out with them .but not sure as with regards the damage caused by the fire. so the damage done to kitchen units and work surface ect.also severe smoke damage. also damage to clothes in washer and also tumble dryer .a builder who has inspected the damage also stated the units on the other side of the kitchen have had water under them as a result of 2 hoses into kitchen. he mentioned the units being made of woodchip would have absorbed the water and will crack and rot swell.as this fire was the fault of the washing machine that set the mother board on fire results of fire investigation .so what can i do who can i claim of and what can i claim ....or should i go through my own insurers .....

Your contract is with the finance company. The damage was caused by the product that they supplied you. You won't be claiming under a warranty that they have sold you, you will be claiming under your statutory rights - the supply of goods act. Don't let them fob you off - any warranty is in addition to your statutory rights.

In addition, if they replace the washing machine, do not sign any sort of agreement for the new one.

i think that it is time to see a professional, or at least talk to your insurance company and explain the situation.

Personally, I wouldn't let them take the dryer, or your evidence evaporates.

(ha ha)

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT KRAKEN, INDET RANG ME YESTERDAY AND SAID WE WONT CONSIDER ANY CLAIM UNTILWE HAVE THE WASHER BACK FOR FUTHER INVESTIGATION.I SEE FROM OTHER POSTS INDESET HAD LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH WASHING MACHINES . ALSO I HAVE E MAILED BUY AS YOU VIEW T/A DUNRAVEN FINANCE TOLD THEM THEY HAVE 14 DAYS TO PUT THIS MATTER RIGHT .ALSO I E MAILED CONSUMER DIRECT FOR THERE HELP AS WELL BUT NOT HEARD FROM THEM AT ALL .SO AS U CAN SEE IM RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS OF WHAT TO DO TO RESOLVE THIS MATTER.

Do you have a written report from the Frie brigade? That should take away the need for the company to have the burnt out machine I would have thought. After all, its unlikely that the Brigades report is inaccurate! Try that one.

consumer direct have rung me today chase the finance co and dont send the washer to indeset as ur pursuing the finance co do we know if buy as you view and duraven finance are the same company ??????????????. also i have contacted the fire service for there report.all your help is appriciated. need to know what i can and should claim for as well .never had this happen hopes it wont nhappen again

consumer direct have rung me today chase the finance co and dont send the washer to indeset as ur pursuing the finance co do we know if buy as you view and duraven finance are the same company ??????????????. also i have contacted the fire service for there report.all your help is appriciated. need to know what i can and should claim for as well .never had this happen hopes it wont nhappen again

can you quote the model and serial no# and year of manufacture. I can then check if there are any outstanding issues with this particular unit ie recalls, defects etc as I can accsess most manufacturers technical bullitens that are not available to the public. Just incase the manufacturer might want to pull a fast one.

you can pm me the details if you feel more confident in doing so.