speeding at 120mph

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have worked with many professional drivers in my professional career. From Bus drivers, to police drivers, to pupils.

It is perfectly safe to drive at 120mph IF you have the skills to do so. Of course certain elements do increase risk at speed even with a highly skilled driver, like quality of tyres etc.

I have been clkocked at a calibrated 152mph with 4 in the car. OK, it was a Bentley TurboR on a customers day out for Jack Barclays Rolls Royce in London and it was at MIRA test track.

Our friend is from germany where it is quite legal to drive at 150mph on the Autobahn and if he has been doing that regularly he will have developed the skills to do so over time.

120mph in a modern well build BMW or Mercedes is actually just a cruising speed and I am regularly passed by cars doing this and higher speeds, quiet safely.

I would rather be on the M1 with cars doing 120mph safely than being tailgated by a Lorry at 50mph in a speed restrictions area!

So, without ALL the facts I cannot advise much. But I would suggest a GOOD lawyer would possibly get around the ban with the defence that you are actually quite capable of driving at those speed swith your background and a heavy fine would possibly suffice. It has been known, however at that speed I think you are realistically looking at a ban of 3 months + and possibly a re-test.

I have to agree the numbers are irrelevant 50mph in a 30mph is probably far worse. I have driven far in excess of 120mph and posed no danger to anyone apart from myself as the road was clear and visibility perfect on a straight motorway that was empty (even behind me ;)). Modern vehicles that are engineered for speeds up to almost 200mph are perfectly safe at 120 if driven properly in the absence of other traffic. Having said that if you get caught you have no one to blame other than yourself driving that fast is a deliberate and calculated choice and you should be aware of the consequences.

My personal view is that our deutsch friend should get everything coming to him but I thought this site was about giving non-judgemental advice to people.

HSBcrusher I am very disappointed and will now certainly think twice about donating again.:(

edit

Ok I've thought twice...I'll donate again:) But I think you need to keep your moral opinions to yourself.

Edited by kurvaface
calmed down

sorry i must disagree and am quite shocked with those that take the stand of 'the OP came on here for advice and should not be lectured'.

if 'pardon the poor english' comes into it , i cannot say, but, there appears to be no recognition on the OP's behalf of 'i did wrong - i know i should not have been doing that speed'.

thus one sadly must conclude the OP did not know our laws or cannot read road signs, but this is somewhat contradicted by the recollections [and a bad one in terms of safely] of the surroundings at the time.

To me this smacks of one thing only: total disregard for everyone else.

If someone is going to totally disregard others, then one should be subjected to the opinions from ones peers and other human beings else they think it is acceptable.

speed kills! and those that condone it probably do it themselves and don't like getting lectured either.

still does not make it acceptable.

the op should get everything he deserves and as for helping to minimise the damage i have serious moral issues about that too.

i saw the op's post 2mins after it was posted, i didn't expect to see tonight, so many respected members appearing to condone the actions.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Speed does NOT kill. Bad driving kills. You are far more in danger on a motorway if someone is tailgating you at 70mph than if someone is driving on an empty motorway at 120mph.

I do not condone our German friends speeding at all. I do however condem the appalling atitude of some on here who should set up 'the moral high ground' forum.

Hands up all of those who have NEVER EVER done 100mph on a public road. You do not need to say if you have, just say so if you haven't. Make sure you look in the mirror when you anwser .

Any of you fatties out there, or smokers - next time you see your G.P - will it be acceptable if he bangs on at you about continuing to stuff your mouth with grub or smoke, despite the knowledge of the harm you are doing to yourself and the resources of the health service?

Where do you draw the line? Is HSBcrusher gonna start preaching to those of you who have mistakenly overstretched yourselves into debt and caused the credit crunch?

Come on. Get real.

This site is about non-judgemental and impartial advice.

There is a time and a place for moral preaching to idiots like the OP and I don't think it is here. By the way - he doesn't write like a German!!!!

Any of you fatties out there, or smokers - next time you see your G.P - will it be acceptable if he bangs on at you about continuing to stuff your mouth with grub or smoke, despite the knowledge of the harm you are doing to yourself and the resources of the health service?

Where do you draw the line? Is HSBcrusher gonna start preaching to those of you who have mistakenly overstretched yourselves into debt and caused the credit crunch?

Come on. Get real.

This site is about non-judgemental and impartial advice.

There is a time and a place for moral preaching to idiots like the OP and I don't think it is here. By the way - he doesn't write like a German!!!!

regardless of what can be done in other countries, you cant drive at 120mph on our roads, with good reason.

yeah, you can drive "safely" on a race track, where there might be no-one elae you can kill in the process, or if racing on a track at least the others know the risks and are fully protected.

To drive on our roads of this speed is dangerous, and it cant be condoned.

to answer your question, which I have not edited although it is offensive, overeating is nothing like travelling at 120 mph on the motorway. You only hurt yourself, you cant kill 4 or more other people in the blink of an eye. Overeating isnt illegal. Overeating wont give you points, a fine or a ban.

As for lecturing those who have finantial difficulties, take a look at my record and make your own mind up.;)

Thats news to me, and 120 mph is down right dangerous end off

Nonsense! Whilst it is breaking the law to drive at that speed in the UK it is not necessarily dangerous.

Edited by jonni2bad

did anyone ever here the term.....ignorance of the law is no defence

when driving 50mph above the speed limit you may be safe, but the law say's 70mph.

we all speed and we are all guilty of that, just because you are in a very well made car and have the skills to drive at that speed, others on the road may not have.

120mph is 176 feet per second

can you see a house brick or a pot hole at 176 feet away and react precisely to avoid that in under a second

think what happens when a car hits a pot hole at 120mph

and yes i do speed, and my last 3 cars were an Evo 8, Subaru STI and a Volvo T5r

Beck

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. one is by the Sword. The other is by Debt."

Barclaycard PPI Refund £4300:whoo:

Barclaycard = Mexican Stand Off

TSB = Mexican Stand Off

Santander = :mad2: MungyPup is coming to get yahh :mad2:

at 8 am on a road with other road users, who you cant control or predict, it IS dangerous.

If it was dangerous I'm sure the OP would find himself being prosecuted for dangerous driving, but he has been summonsed for speeding. I think that undermines your viewpoint completely.

Edited by jonni2bad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks