Yet more Landlord issues. Help needed!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last month when we were dropping off the rent our landlord informed us that they wanted the rent on the first of the month from the next month onward, we told them that we wanted it in writing and/or the contract ammended to show the new due date. As we'd had problems with them in the past and wanted everything in writing to make sure we were protected. They made all the right noises, but no letter ever arrived.

So we decided to carry on paying the rent on the due date stated on the contract which is the 3rd. That is when the harassment started, LL started sending text messages demanding the rent, when we told her that we had recieved nothing in writing stating that the rent was due on the 1st and we would continue to pay on the 3rd until we recieved such a letter she started calling, telling us it was illegal to not pay the rent when she asked for it, and that if we continued to cause "hassle" for her she would "get rid of us." We remained calm and informed her that we have a contract stating that the rent is due on the third, and as soon as she sends a letter saying that the date is changing to the 1st we would be more than happy to pay it on the 1st, we weren't refusing to pay, we just wanted it in writing. Until that happened we would continue to pay on the 3rd.

My first question is are we right in saying this? As long as we pay on the date stated on the contract are we right in thinking she can't do anything? She can't just say that she wants her rent on the 1st and not inform us in writing can she?

My second question is this, for the entire time we have been her tenant, we have never had a gas safety check, every time we've asked her about this we have been fobbed off, who can we report her too? And would they actually be able to do anything?

My third and final question is this, given that she has not kept to her duties as stipulated in the contract (safety checks, keeping the house in good repair etc ) is the contract valid?

i.e are we still bound by it considering she has never kept up her end.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Last month when we were dropping off the rent our landlord informed us that they wanted the rent on the first of the month from the next month onward, we told them that we wanted it in writing and/or the contract ammended to show the new due date. As we'd had problems with them in the past and wanted everything in writing to make sure we were protected. They made all the right noises, but no letter ever arrived.

So we decided to carry on paying the rent on the due date stated on the contract which is the 3rd. That is when the harassment started, LL started sending text messages demanding the rent, when we told her that we had recieved nothing in writing stating that the rent was due on the 1st and we would continue to pay on the 3rd until we recieved such a letter she started calling, telling us it was illegal to not pay the rent when she asked for it, and that if we continued to cause "hassle" for her she would "get rid of us." We remained calm and informed her that we have a contract stating that the rent is due on the third, and as soon as she sends a letter saying that the date is changing to the 1st we would be more than happy to pay it on the 1st, we weren't refusing to pay, we just wanted it in writing. Until that happened we would continue to pay on the 3rd.

My first question is are we right in saying this? As long as we pay on the date stated on the contract are we right in thinking she can't do anything? She can't just say that she wants her rent on the 1st and not inform us in writing can she?

My second question is this, for the entire time we have been her tenant, we have never had a gas safety check, every time we've asked her about this we have been fobbed off, who can we report her too? And would they actually be able to do anything?

My third and final question is this, given that she has not kept to her duties as stipulated in the contract (safety checks, keeping the house in good repair etc ) is the contract valid?

i.e are we still bound by it considering she has never kept up her end.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Not sure if you are, but my first piece of advise would be to stop communicating via text and put everything in writing. Tell her thay you will only respond to letters and not texts/phone calls.

1) You have no obligation to pay the rent on the 1st of a month if your contract stipulates the 3rd. Even if your landlady was to send you a letter confirming that she would like the rent on the 1st, you are not obliged to agree to it if the 1st isnt satisfotory for yourselves. There would be no harm in you paying the rent on the 1st if you felt it might lead to a quiter life and you are happy to do it, something in writing isnt really required.

2) The Gas Saftey Certificate is most urgent. Get in touch with your local authority tenancy relations officer who will take the matter forward for you.

3) The contract is perfectly valid.

Good luck.