Council Tax Benefit - Proof of Eligibility Requested??

ohoh4312
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - looking for some serious help please.

I recently seperated (well, OH just upped and disappeared) and therefore applied for Income Support, CT benefit etc.

My IS claim has been accepted, but I received a letter from the council re CT benefit, stating the following:

"You state that you are the owner of this property; please can you provide proof of this as we have reason to believe Mr X is the owner as he is on the Council Tax records.

Please also confirm your relationship with Mr X as this will enable me to assess your claim correctly.

I need to see original proof. I cannot use photocopies..."

It does not say in the letter what they accept as proof - would a mortgage statement in both names suffice in answer to the first point?

And how on earth do I confirm my relationship - now defunct - would the mortgage statement be acceptable here also? Or do I need to show them the kids birth certificates too?

I did actually write to the Council when it all happenned, basically just saying that my name should be substituted for his on the Council Tax and any other correspondence. They obviously didn't get my letter.:rolleyes: I have been on the electoral roll here for 11 years - is that not proof enough?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much xx

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

Best thing to do is make an appointment, take ALL your paperwork you can think of with you and they will sift through it and give you a letter there and then what else they need. As you say they need originals but it`s best not to post them. You can also negotiate face to face. Good luck!

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

Yes definitely arrange for a face to face interview, at least then you can ask them exactly what information and paper work they need to see, then there can be no doubt, and simply drop it to them the same day or the following day;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!