Em-bobs v NatWest - £1466.67

em-bobs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday Lunchtime, I visited a Natwest branch to try and sort my finances out. I have banked with them since I was six (I'm now 24) - I collected all the pigs.

I hold a student account with Natwest - and have incurred almost £800 in charges in the last EIGHT weeks (enough for me to live off for two months). Despite depositing money where I can - the charges have made it impossible for me to get back in the black. I had hoped that Natwest would try to help me - provide a service, try to get my finances back on track. I left the branch in tears after being told that I was abusing my account and that I would just have to pay it off as I could.

When I asked "But what do I do - put money in my account to no avail, since it will still not get me within my limit due to the charges.....or eat?" I was told "you cover your bills first - then you eat." Nice.

Then I asked "But what does that £38 actually pay for" I couldn't get an answer.

I finally asked the member of staff if she thought the charges were fair. Again no answer.

I left absolutely gutted. The thought of £800 just gone is just so depressing. Why did they let a student account get into such a mess, when it is evident thre is no regular income coming in?

THEN GMTV THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could not have been scheduled at a better time for me. It has given me hope, and a release off my shoulders. the guilt I was feeling for being 'so irresponsible and abusive' has now turned to determination with a sprinkling of anger. I think I'd like to have MY money back now Natwest. BRING IT ON! :cool:

Oh yeh - hello all. And thanks to Admin for providing such a wonderful site. You are a credit to society (crap pun I know....)

Wish me luck,

Emma

xxxx

08/08/06 - SENT Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

17/08/06 - DEFAULT NOTICE RECEIVED FROM NatWest :evil:

18/08/06 - Data Protection Act ACKNOWLEDGED, SIGNATURE REQUESTED

21/08/06 - Spoke to Natwest. Default will not be applied if i get back into my agreed limit (over by £184) by Sep end. Thanks for a weeked of unneccessary worry Natwest.

01/08/06 - Received copy statements. Damaged in post. Charged £5 in addition to £10 Postal order

Exactly...!

When I graduate - I will earn a lot of money - which is all going to be kept under my matress...

;)

21/08/06 - Spoke to Natwest. Default will not be applied if i get back into my agreed limit (over by £184) by Sep end. Thanks for a weeked of unneccessary worry Natwest.

01/08/06 - Received copy statements. Damaged in post. Charged £5 in addition to £10 Postal order

Guest NATTIE

em-bobs have a word with vwcampavan, he's looking to try and get the NUS on board so that ALL students are told that charges are unlawful.

• 3 weeks later...

We ran up most of our 2838 in unlawful charges while we were students. I was at university for 10 years though - masters, then phd then postdoc. Not exactly a moneyspinner, but the boot's on the other foot now! We should get "sue your bank" societies at the fresher's fairs. They could give out DPA-SAR templates and printouts of the FAQ page. That should set the cat among the pigeons!

GO KILL!!!!!!

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

Tip my scales if you like my advice :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just calculated the total charges I will be recaliming from Natwest, using MINDZAI's wonderful spreadsheet (thanks!)

Total charges - £1267.00!!!!!! (first charge date 09/01/02)

I will also be claiming compound interest (from PRELIM stage) on these charges @ 18.86% - Natwest's own typical EAR. I know this is above the official 8% s.69 (?) county court figure, but if you don't ask, you don't get, and why shouldn't Natwest pay their own interest rates on Money they have borrowed from me? I have searched the site, and I see that some people are doing this (some implying the unauthorised borrowing rate of 29.9%) - others not? Any comments appreciated.

Total compound interest - £199.57, bringing total claimed to £1466.67.

I will not however be claiming the interest Natwest implied on the charges. The simple reason is because my overdraught facility has changed that many times, as has the rate, as has the account type. Lazy as it is, it will be far too complex and time consuming for the sake of probably no more than £20. It will probably cost me more than that in phonecalls.

So. Preparing my prelim now -to be sent this PM - and the ball starts rolling faster!

xxx

I have not included the interest on my from my overdraft either, far too complicated at the minute I am claiming for £1,857.04. The way I see it the quicker they sort it out for me the quicker I will pay off my overdraft.:smile:

I know the feeling!

Ok here goes..... here is my prelim draught letter to go with list of charges etc. Will be sending. Not sure whether so send it to my branch or the edinburgh address though - any advise well received.....

[deleted]

Any comments appreciated - it's basically the template with a for grammatical changes, and one little addition....

I feel so organised!:D

----------------

Letter templates are available in the templates library for registered users only - please do not post them here.

Any comments appreciated - it's basically the template with a few grammatical changes, and one little addition....

Anybody???

Just need some reassurance before it goes in the post?????