Maybe some one...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok maybe a bit much and maybe not so off topic but there is a hell of a lot Knowledgeable folk here and maybe could point me the right direction or maybe shed light on how it works and the like... I know its a debt site but you know ..worth a ask and all that :p

So the question ...

I'm wanting to track down my father.. no contact for about 15 years now...

Now were do you start off or if someone has done this sort of thing b4 were did you start...?

ASPIRE to INSPIRE before you EXPIRE

:-)

you may not want to provide any personal details. However knowing something of the circumstances might help to trigger a few ideas.

I think that I would certainly start trying to locate his friends to see whether they have had any contact and how recently.

Your last contact was 15 years ago that you may find that you will be able to reduce the time gap because other people who knew him may have had more recent contact.

Did he have one particular kind of job? Or did he have a variety of jobs -- never the same kind of thing.

You are right, that what you are asking is not really what we do here. On the other hand, what use is a community if we can't try and rally round and help when we can.

If you log on to a certain web site called 1 9 2 dot com you can do a search. there may be a small fee, it is up to date on the electoral register and searches the whole country, the more information the better as it can narrow down the search somewhat.

I know this isn't going to come out like it sounds, but are you sure that he is still alive? you could search the death registers, again for a fee, but it is dependent on you knowing the sort of area he might have been in.

Good Luck, if you need any further help let me know, I am an amateur genealogist and I have found members of my family with this method :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Thanks for the tips.. going to try 192 and see what happens.

Much appreciated.

And Bank fodder I only briefly seen him 15 years ago as I was fairly young and didn't ask many questions about him but I now have children of my own and they asked who my father was etc and then obviously I'm now looking in to it ..early days so anything could come up really on numerous searches etc.

Have you seen your birth certificate? is he named on there, likewise your parents marriage cert (if they were married) can give loads of information that can help

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Yeah his name is on there but nothing really else of much use.. its a very "old skool" certificate circa 1982 ..so its bare minimum info.

I can maybe contact my mother and see about the marriage certificate but again I rarely see her as she lives a distance away...complicated to say the least is more a fitting term I think.

Well you dont even need to contact her for it if it would be a problem, do you know when they were married? do you know where? you can ring up the relevant register office and ask for a copy, it is for family history and will cost £7 (sometimes they charge postage too) There will be loads of info, his name, age, occupation, his fathers name and occupation and his address at the time.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

excellent, now, my final piece of advice, write to him first, it is going to be a shock ;) Just remember that whatever happened between your parents was nothing that has any bearing on you (I mean that it wasnt your fault) , people do mellow with age :-)

Good luck, I hope that it all works out for you.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Guest wino

Hey Lula (Our now No.1 amateur genealogist ;))

My cousin was trying to trace my Dads side of the family. She only got as far as his Dad to find out he (my Grandfather) was adopted and so has hit a brick wall. Any advice how she can proceed with the search?

LOL Wino, it all depends on who he was adopted through, Barnardos and the Salvation Army did keep good records, if you have an area then yopu can start a search, but, I am afraid, the general rule is that the farther back you have to go, the least likely you are to get a result, did you ever get his brth certificate, what did that say?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lu,

didn't there used to be a genealogy thread in the old BG?

you should start it up again hun, I'm sure people would find it useful

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

It was I and someone else, but sure if there is an audience for it, I am more than happy DX100 UK is a genealogist too (far more experienced than me) ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Guest wino
LOL Wino, it all depends on who he was adopted through, Barnardos and the Salvation Army did keep good records, if you have an area then yopu can start a search, but, I am afraid, the general rule is that the farther back you have to go, the least likely you are to get a result, did you ever get his brth certificate, what did that say?

There is no birth certificate. Some how my cousin got in touch with someone who new the family briefly when they adopted my Grandfather but they don't know where he came from or where the family moved to. I supose Barnados or the Salvation Army is a good place to start. Thanks Lula

I am an amateur genealogist and I have found members of my family with this method :-)

I didn't know you could find people just by looking at private parts:-o:-|.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Guest wino
I didn't know you could find people just by looking at private parts:-o:-|.

GGrrooaannnnn:oops:

There is no birth certificate. Some how my cousin got in touch with someone who new the family briefly when they adopted my Grandfather but they don't know where he came from or where the family moved to. I supose Barnados or the Salvation Army is a good place to start. Thanks Lula

What year and area and name was he adopted to? pm me with the answers and I will make some enquiries

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Guest wino
What year and area and name was he adopted to? pm me with the answers and I will make some enquiries

I will get the info from my cousin and get back to you.