disabled Tax advice

superg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello people I am in need of some advice I have just bought a car on 11/04/09 car has mot and tax but it is disabled tax. The car had a private reg plate and this was swaped over by my friend now a car trader he bought the car off the owner and the owner sent logbook off, since then logbook arived at friends house and he has sent this off for me so at present I dont have any logbook or slip I have mot and number plate change The disabled tax runs out in july The thing is I dont think i realy should have this tax on car I realy dont want to break the law but If i tell dvla will They fine me I realy need some advice on what I can do if any one has had this issue The car is insured under my name any Ideas guys and if i was to tax it would i get full six months

Thanks in advance

I can`t see that they`ll fine you for that length of time. Phone the DVLA and tell them. The previous owner may well have bought another car and taxed that as disabled so I woud think that they have cancelled yours.

Good luck

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

As you do not (presumably) hold a valid disabled exemption certificate, then you are not entitled to use any part of a disabled (free) tax disk. So if you are using or have the vehicle on the public highway, you are already committing an offence - which could lead to the vehicle being seized.

In fact, the scheme rules require that the free disk be returned to the DVLA on the disposal of the vehicle.

Your friend, should have given you the green slip from the 'new' V5 - this would have allowed you to tax the car. As it is, you cannot tax (and therefore have it on the public highway) until you get the new V5 from DVLA.

Get it off the public highway and declare SORN until you get the new V5 and tax it (which automatically lifts SORN).

You will probably find that the taxation class has not been changed when you receive the new V5. To change to PLG the vehicle must be taxed at a LVLO, the Post Office cannot do it.

I would advise you to stop using the vehicle with the disabled tax disc. You are committing an offence.

Thanks guys I realy need to travel on saturday and i would be more than willing to pay the tax on the car but i think i need the log book so you guys think i should return tax and declare sorn untill i can change car from disabled I realy dont know anyway around this as if i declare it sorn i can go to dvla office to change it over I think the old owner has a new car now I think I am stuck in a bit of a rut

You cannot declare SORN until you receive the V5. So, it would be best just to keep the car off the road until you receive the V5 and go and tax it straight away. As I said before, it would not be wise to use the car with the disabled tax disc. If caught the car may be seized.

You are asuming that the car is still registered as disabled tax class.

Best thing is to go to the DVLA local office and simply ask them. You could fill in a V62 and then tax it there, they will apply for a new reg doc for you, but i believe that will cost you £25.

Why didn't you get given the green slip?

I bought a car last January from a garage and they put six months tax on it for me. I had no idea what price they paid as I wasn't party to that transaction.

When I got the new V5 through, I noticed item [X] Taxation Class said "Disabled".

I sent the V5 off to DVLA thinking it was a mistake and asked them to correct it. They sent it back with a letter saying "I regret that I cannot issue you with a new Registration Certificate because the change/s you have notified affect the rate of duty payable". (errmm Yes!, I was expecting it to INCREASE the rate!)

Anyway, clearly their records were correct because I taxed it at the end of the 6 months and paid the standard (140 quid I think) for that type of car. I have since put a private plate on it and I have just checked that the new V5 actually has all been updated now to Tax Class "Petrol Car"

This can be done very quickly at a LVLO, and you won't need the V5, take the tax disc in as evidence. You'll be asked to fill in the from, and this will cancel the old disc and Disabled classification. You'll need to show insurance and a valid MoT, but you'll be sold a new disc in the correct class for 12 or 6 months as appropriate. So no SORN declaration required and the replacement V5 will be put in the post. Take your driving licence too, as they like you to prove who you are.

This can be done very quickly at a LVLO, and you won't need the V5, take the tax disc in as evidence. You'll be asked to fill in the from, and this will cancel the old disc and Disabled classification. You'll need to show insurance and a valid MoT, but you'll be sold a new disc in the correct class for 12 or 6 months as appropriate. So no SORN declaration required and the replacement V5 will be put in the post. Take your driving licence too, as they like you to prove who you are.

Yes, you can do this. However there will be a £25 fee for an application for a V5.

Depends what day of the week you start on!

Depends what day of the week you start on!

Could do, but I've only ever known people start the week on Sunday or Monday. Maybe it's different in your part of the world. ;)

Thank you for all of your advice guys Just thought i would update you all I received my logbook and went to the local dvla office Today They were very fast and helpful I am pleased That this is now sorted out Now Thanks again