stopping tv licence fees

masmit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

could we not remove all ariels from our property,

leaving sky being the only reciever for in coming channels,

to which we pay for.

therefore telling the TVLA to collect payments of SKY for their channels or they tell sky to block the BBC channels.

making viewing pay per view, or top up tv for freeview.

could this not be the way forward to having a choice not being forced in to paying for something if we dont want it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be a Sky employee. Although the fee collected goes ultimately to the BBC, that is not what it is, it is a licence to operate receiving equipment.

my point is sky can block the bbc channels so can digital tv, if you have no direct ariel why should you pay for something if you dont want it.

i believe it is possible to block these channels so why not have them pay per view.

put it this way

if i write to the TVL saying i have no direct ariel to my tvs,

making my viewing sky only, therefore you should contact sky for your BBC channel fees or make them block the BBC channels i do not want.

Is this not fair if they are blocked & i have no ariel i cannot recieve them.

this is giving me a choice & not making me pay for something i dont want.

Edited by masmit

a few years back the goverment made both Sky and Cable to carry BBC channels is the reason you cant get out of paying the licence, even if you dont have an aerial, they closed that loophole after a few people beat the TV licensing with the argument , the other thing the changed the wording of the TV license when people used scart fron the video machine to the tv , eg there was no aerial connected to the TV , to inc video machines that had a tuner circuit

a few years back the goverment made both Sky and Cable to carry BBC channels is the reason you cant get out of paying the licence, even if you dont have an aerial, they closed that loophole after a few people beat the TV licensing with the argument , the other thing the changed the wording of the TV license when people used scart fron the video machine to the tv , eg there was no aerial connected to the TV , to inc video machines that had a tuner circuit

so the goverment made sky & cable supply these channels,

so why not a campain to get this blocked.

why is it enforced on us like council tax, it is not a necessity to have & should not be forced if you do not want it.

we elect these MP'S so why dont we get this overturned.

the BBC then could try pay per view or advertise then offer a free channel.

we need to get rid of this taxation off the goverment.

Hi,

I was looking for somewhere to ask my question.

I have a TV but watch very little and do not use a video recorder etc. I am considering using the TV (flat screen) as a monitor and then only watching programmes on catch up. In my opinion as I would not be watching or recording television programmes as they're being shown on TV surely I would not then require a licence.

From their site:

" You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV."

Your views are anticipated with pleasure

GK

I'm not an expert mate, but if you can recieve a signal you must pay. :rolleyes: I think 'catch up' would count - but don't take my word for it.

Watching a little means nothing! Disconnect any possible source, then don't pay...but they'll still come knocking. You are guilty whatever happens if you don't pay it (though if you let the turds in[and why should you need to] they will finally accept the situation if alls well with the powerless 'authority' :rolleyes: and then I'd wager you'd need to do this fairly often to satisfy the beasts. The BBC (TVL) do not accept you are telling the truth, moreover, you are nothing short of a liar, as how can anyone live without TV? (to their mind)

In fact I believe part of my sweaty telly tax goes to pay for BBC Sport (web) which I do utelise..... does anyone know how that works, in that if I threw my TV out of the window, would viewing BBC Sport still make me liable to be bottom screwed by the turds?

Hi Thai,

I would not be receiving a signal. My computer would be receiving data and then displaying the resultant video from eh iBBC.

There is no source apart from Virgin box which will be unconnected.

The comment about watching little TV was to illustrate that catchup would not be a problem I am well aware that it would be like being partly pregnant.

I am aware that I will be guilty of not having a TV as I have lived like that before and feel like being a rebel. I can cope with the threats etc.

BTW is Maggie still the pope?

GK

• 3 months later...

I for one believe the BBC should reduce the fee, because anyone watching Sky will no doubt be aware that the BBC has and does sell it's programmes to the other Channels and abroad. It also releases programmes on DVD, therefore they are profiteering and if you buy one of these DVD's you are in fact paying twice. Pardon my ignorance, but why am I paying for Sky to watch BBC, iTV etc etc programmes??????????????

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree, I am sick to death of all the repeats that the BBC shows. I wouldnt mind so much if it was producing good quality programmes with all the money they get out of us. I complain on a weekly basis to the Beeb about the repeats, but never a response. I was livid with the 'new' series of QI, when I realised that I'd seen the first episode on Dave months previously!

Check this out

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Edmonds begins TV licence boycott

Hi,

I was looking for somewhere to ask my question.

I have a TV but watch very little and do not use a video recorder etc. I am considering using the TV (flat screen) as a monitor and then only watching programmes on catch up. In my opinion as I would not be watching or recording television programmes as they're being shown on TV surely I would not then require a licence.

From their site:

" You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV."

Your views are anticipated with pleasure

GK

If you're watching catch-up from the internet, then you would not need a TV licence. It is only if you're watching, or have the equipment to watch live TV.

If you're watching catch-up from the internet, then you would not need a TV licence. It is only if you're watching, or have the equipment to watch live TV.

I am sorry but as I understand it whether you have the equipment and whether it is capable of receiving TV is not the point. Their site says onlyif you watch or record live TV. I quote from their latest letter: "Remember, if you use TV receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, you must have a TV licence"

GK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
put it this way

if i write to the TVL saying i have no direct ariel to my tvs,

making my viewing sky only, therefore you should contact sky for your BBC channel fees or make them block the BBC channels i do not want.

Is this not fair if they are blocked & i have no ariel i cannot recieve them.

this is giving me a choice & not making me pay for something i dont want.

Just to correct one point, a dish is an aerial. It collects radio waves and feeds it to the receiving equipment just as the one on the chimney does.

so the goverment made sky & cable supply these channels,

so why not a campain to get this blocked.

why is it enforced on us like council tax, it is not a necessity to have & should not be forced if you do not want it.

we elect these MP'S so why dont we get this overturned.

the BBC then could try pay per view or advertise then offer a free channel.

we need to get rid of this taxation off the goverment.

The TV License funds the BBC BUT it is not a subscription for the BBC. It is a license fee for using equipment that can receive TV as it is broadcast.

It is not being forced on you. If you want to watch TV as it is being broadcast, you have to pay it. Just like if you want to use a car on the road you need to have a "Vehicle Excise License" (Tax Disk).

Think of it as a license fee for the RF range used to transmit the signals. Most of the RF Spectrum is liccensable and a license is required to use it (Hence a license is required to use a CB Radio)

I agree that it is possibly too expensive and the way it is being forced on people who do not require one is absolutely disgusting!

H

Just to correct one point, a dish is an aerial. It collects radio waves and feeds it to the receiving equipment just as the one on the chimney does.

yes & my point was i pay sky for it separately for their service & equipment

Do sky not pay to broadcast.

Put it this way if you stop paying sky there is no Freeview tv through their dish & receiver you have to pay for it i believe its £16.50 a month or a £1 a channel fee.

So i disagree with your quote & believe sky equipment is different to aerials.

This fee is a forced tax for which it pays for the crap BBC pumps out, why do i not have the right to choose what i to pay for when it comes down to entertainment.

And no i do not work for SKY just think the BBC is a gravy train for the C list stars.

The TV License funds the BBC BUT it is not a subscription for the BBC. It is a license fee for using equipment that can receive TV as it is broadcast.

It is not being forced on you. If you want to watch TV as it is being broadcast, you have to pay it. Just like if you want to use a car on the road you need to have a "Vehicle Excise License" (Tax Disk).

Think of it as a license fee for the RF range used to transmit the signals. Most of the RF Spectrum is liccensable and a license is required to use it (Hence a license is required to use a CB Radio)

I agree that it is possibly too expensive and the way it is being forced on people who do not require one is absolutely disgusting!

H

The wording was changed saying it is for transmitting signals & if you had the equipment to receive the signals you have to pay this tax.

There was no change where the money go's or for what it is for.

If the money wasn't supporting the BBC how much would we be taxed for these transmitted signals, as far as I'm aware the only signals were being forced to pay for are the BBC 'S & i said forced.

I really can't understand all this BBC hate, am I missing something?

My opinion is its about choice, i choose to pay for sky.

I have no choice with the TV license which is a tax for the funding of the BBC RUBBISH in my opinion.

It has been mentioned the fees are for signals being transmitted but the money collected funds the BBC, ITV or any of the other channels receive no money from this tax, so sell the BBC put the money to good use from the sale & move on.

Like i said its a forced payment for entertainment, is it not my right to choose.