Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everybody

Are Plusnet [allegedly] Stealing peoples money? A dramatic title but I believe they may well be!

Plusnet recently introduced 'unlimited' broadband for the first time and also updated and changed its available packages.

They have introduced different pricing structures that are dependant on where you live. The value package is £5.99 for 3 months then if you live in a market 3 area it is still £5.99 but if not then it is £11.99 per month. Likewise 'unlimited is £11.99 for 3 months, then either £15.99 or £19.99 depending on whether your in a market 3 area or not.

By Plusnets definition a market 3 area is one where 4 or more different ISP's are available through the exchange or the exchange services more than 10,000 homes.

So anyway I went to have a look at thier map to see what area I lived in. It came up as a market 2 area. However I know that there are more than 4 ISP's available through my exchange as I know people who have the following ISP's;

Plusnet - Me

BT

Tiscali

Sky Connect

Talk Talk

AOL

O2

This definately in excess of 4 ISP's and I am also pretty sure the exchange services over 10,000 homes. So I opted to contact Plusnet and challenge them on this.

The response I got in writing is;

3) I have looked into your Market 2 rating. You are completely correct in stating that you have 4+ providers in the area and therefore ought to be in Market 3. the market ratings are set by Ofcom, and we are legally bound to follow their regulations and costing systems. I would encourage you to contact them directly to look into this one for you.

Now I think this is an outrage, they are hiding behind OFCOM to justify charging people more than they should be expected to pay.

They say they are legaly bound but at the end of the day I am quite sure that OFCOM do not set their pricing structure? Therefore if they wanted to charge people living in my area the lesser price they could and how could doing that be in breach of any legality?

I think that Plusnet are charging people the higher rates purely to boost their profits, or should I say BT which is who owns Plusnet and I do not think it is right. I also do not agree that broadband should be priced by a post code lottery but if they are going to have it then surely it should be done fairly. Plusnets own FAQ's even state if you your area changes to a market 3 your pricing structure will change as well, so surely technically at least Plusnet are [allegedly] stealing peoples money?

I am contacting OFCOM about this matter and will update here when I have a result. In the meantine what do you think about this?

The area by the way is, Scarborough North Yorkshire.

Simon

Edited by Rooster-UK
Libellous comments removed

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Hi again

I have just got off the phone to OFCOM. Oh Dear!

According to OFCOM Plusnet have blatantly lied, there is nowhere in OFCOM regulations that Plusnet have to abide by any pricing structure, neither are they leagally bound in any way. OFCOM do not set pricing structures or tell ISP's what and when to charge its subscribers.

OFCOM have lodged my complaint against Plusnet and told me to contact a company called CISAS, who will investigate this matter and in the words of the OFCOM operator turn it inside out. I have contacted CISAS and they are sending me a complaint pack. I would have liked to talk to someone there but unfortunately it was only a recorded message enabling me to get the complaint pack.

In the meantine while I wait for this to arrive, I am going to complain to Plusnet using it's own complaint system, which OFCOM also advised.

I am also wondering if it is worth giving BBC Watchdog a call, to see if they want to run a story??

I would also urge everyone who has Plusnet to check to see if they are being overcharged and to complain.

For information, I am currently on the Your Way option 2 package that costs me £14.65 a month (15gb allowance), if I upgrade to one of their new packages (new contract 18 months) I should be able to get either unlimited for £15.99 or value for £5.99 and not £19.99 or £11.99 respectively.

Simon

Edited by Rooster-UK
Libellous title

Wiki info on them here PlusNet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the price difference due to where you live distasteful as plusnet is owned by BT, and BT pride themselves on treating all customers equally.

Edited by Rooster-UK
Libellous title

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I agree with your sentiments, I do not believe it is a fair way at all. I would actually prefer the same price across the board for everyone but if they ar going to have the pricing policy they have then it has to be implemented correctly and those who live in a market 3 area should get the savings.

I am still waiting for Plusnet to have the decency to reply to my last communication to them.

Sorry Rooster, I didn't mean the title to be libelous, I meant it in the sence of asking a question.

OK, we just have to be very careful. :rolleyes:

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Interestingly Plusnet have now acknowledged that the information it gave me was incorrect. However it stops short of an apology and has only done this via it's own forum where I also raised the issue. The official communication from me remains unanswered.