UK Debt but Living in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I've been reading the posts on this brilliant forum with much interest. Hubby & I have been in Oz 3 years, and for the last 2 years have had a DMP with Payplan. UK debt amounts to $82K from credit cards (MBNA being the biggest of $12K each) and Egg loan of $17K.

Not sure if creditors know we're in Oz or even overseas as we have used a London mail forwarding company since we left UK so all statements and correspondence have been to that address.

The DMP has been going well but recently hard times have bitten in Oz and we're struggling with even reduced payments, but have so far kept them up.

I'm hoping some kind people with knowledge and/or experience can give us their advice / thoughts on what to do next.

If we stop paying via DMP and creditors send CCJ papers to a mail forwarding address - i.e. not a residence, is it still valid?

Should we write to creditors (recorded delivery) cancelling mail forwarding address in UK and give them an Oz PO Box instead so no CCJ papers can be issued? If they know we are overseas are they less likely to try to take action against us?

If no CCJ papers can be issued, is there any way for them to recover the debts? The amounts owing to Egg and MBNA are significant enough to warrant action against us I'm sure!

Ideally, we would like to find a way to get the creditors to accept a full and final settlement so we can put this thing to bed once and for all, but the money that may be available for this (some inheritance money we have found out is coming our way) won't cover all the debt. What percentage are they likely to accept by way of settlement and should we write to them to make offers?

I know some people say either nothing can be done if you are Australia or they are very unlikely to be able to do anything, but it worries me greatly and I really can't stand the thought of living with this debt over our heads for the next 20 years!

Welcome Evermore.....in my opinion, any court claims would be sent to the address you had given, however you would be able to set them aside if you could prove that you had moved at the time. I can't see a company pursuing you in Australia for these debts...

Are you suggesting to just ignore these debts? As I mentioned I'm in a similar situation with about 25K GBP student loans outstanding and in personal straits at the moment, but now in Qatar.

You think I can just forget about them and assume no one will come looking for me or do you think I should make some sort of legal filing in the UK?

Would there be difficulty if I nee to travel to UK again?

Thanks a bunch

Hi Evermore, Good to hear I'm not the only one out there! I have many of the same concerns but now find myself in Qatar.

Here is my original post :

Hi 42Man

I've read a number of your posts and they are so educational and wise.

Could you give me a read on this situation:

I'm an Australian national. I took a PSL from HSBC UK in 2003 for about 25K GBP. For about two years after grad I paid my loan religiously. But then I relocated to Qatar for a new job which I didn't get the salary as promised and all sorts of problems ensued so I have not had a regular income for a while. The current market has also made finding a new job difficult. I've tried to make payments from my savings but that has dried up. To top it all off I recently found out I am expecting so this complicates employment even more. I was in regular contact with my bank manager until the point when she sent my case to an agency (I can't even find out which one!!!!!!!!!) I can't get a proper postal address here so have all mail sent to my family home in Bris. I am at my wits end. The bank acknowledges that I had an excellent record until things started getting wonky on the job front. But I don't know what alternatives I have right now?

Do you have any clear thoughts? Thank you.