• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

buy as you view but same problems as bright house

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is enforceable as all the prescribed terms are there. HOWEVER, they can not and should not charge you interest on maintenance vouchers or the arrangement fee as this should be a one off payment at set cost. Rather naughty to be honest. I will have to have a good scout round for you to see if I can find a letter about this. May take me a while.....

thanks for all your help its annoying me that i have been paying interest on maintance and warranty, the guy had the nerve to say when i dont pay people loose money in there pay packet i thought that was abit cheeky when i am loosing lots of money on these daft warranties

hi, if you had the same problem we did with them when we found out we were paying for these so called service vouchers then you can be certain they didnt mention it at all before you signed for them.

i had the accounts manager come to see us the same person who sold us the tv we explained that the service vouchers should of been an optional add on but it was never mentioned he just laughed and said you got me and treated it as one big joke, soon after wards are son pulled the tv off the stand and cracked the screen so i rang buy as you view to find that the service vouchers were still on the account and the account manager never did remove them as promised so i told them about the tv and it was covered by accidental damage so they come to collect tv for repair gave us another tv to view in the mean time. then told us that they were not gonna repair it due to arrears but that had been sorted with them prior aint heard nothing back since so these vouchers are not worth jack s*it when the time comes to claim on them, its just another money grabbing way to rip people off even more, i hope you get it sorted.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am an EX-BAYV account manager so i know how they work, so if i can help anyone with anything i will do my best. I ask to leave the company as i would not pressure people in buying products that they could not afford and i also whistleblowed on other account managers that were fraudalently signing agreements of people that were geting refinanced because of arrears, but as for warranty and maintance, they can be canceled at anytime as long as you put it in writing, just had it to your account manager and ask for a reciept as the office loses them all the time as they make a fortune from them when they are not realy needed, as long as you have home insurance.

Hi, PLEASE!! can any body help?

My sister was kept without her will by a buy as you view agent last night who refused to leave her property untill she paid her arrears.

My sis is only 24 with a small child of 4.

The agent after half hour decided to unplug her freezer threw all her food onto floor dragged the freezer into his car.

• 2 months later...

**** **** **** letter getting sent off today they will have 28 days then im off to money claim online, apparantly i have not even paid off a crappy tv i got from them 5 yrs ago they have ripped the wrong person off this time i got nothing to loose taking them to court and will be contacting the press and anybody else that is going to listen i dont like be ripped off on such a large scale..............

and yes i know you have been reding my thread rip as you view oh i mean buy as you view so big hello to you

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just searched the net and found this very intersting thread we are having almost too similar problems with bauv aswell, Strange huh? Myself and group of 15 others (and currently growing)most are all friends and recommended eachother are currently seeking legal help over this matter. So will keep you posted on the outcome of what the solicitor says....we will help and unite to get rid of these rip off merchants, Their scare tactics and hopefully get them investigated..good luck people, At least we know we are not alone in this matter

• 2 weeks later...

I keep calling to sort out my account but NO one ever comes over, i get letters saying in i owe money and txt messages bur when you call all you get is the same promise and lies as always, i dont have a box on my tv but set up a direct debit but nothing happens. I have kept a record of all my calls all the times i have waited in and all the letters, I am disabled and the stress is huge as im waiting for a knock on my door to collect but yet i dont get any responce from them, please help in what do i do NOW?

Thanks justlaughpk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, To cut a very long story short - Have just broken free of Buy as you View, though at a cost. It has been a nightmare for ages. Same thing with the agreements, the warranties etc. They redid the agreement when we added a fridge greezer to our account and then promptly overcharged for it by not giving the sale price. Then noone showed up to empty the meter. Then I said we didn't need the warranty and the insurance as we had our own home insurance so the latest in a line of "managers" took the agreement promising to look into it and take off those charges since we were apparently in arrears. He said he was coming to take 17 pounds each week so we could catch up on our payments which should not have been overdue in the first place. Then noone showed up for 16 weeks. TWo days ago we get a call from South Wales saying their records showed we had not paid for 32 weeks! What happened to the payment 16 weeks ago? And my agreement???? I had previously asked for statements of what had already been paid which when they did show up showed missing payments when we knew someone had emptied the meter. I told the welsh office that I would be home on Friday for a new manager to come and talk to me so he showed up banging on the door on Thursday scaring my Autistic son. I rang him and told him I had already said I would be home the next day. Finally go really fed up and when the new manager showed up I told him I would rather do without than give them the 200.00 APPARENTLY owing. I asked about what the old manager had said, who has now quit, and was told that when there was arrears the warrantly and insurane could not be taken off!?? I then asked which items I could keep as having paid for and ended up keeping the fridge freezer and had it all nicely ready for them to come and collect and then signed a paper saying I know longer owe them anything! Yes, I have to do without a washer for a couple of weeks but I do have a dryer that is paid for, have a TV borrowed and no longer have to put up with being harrassed, ignored etc. All this and no sign of agreement or anything. One hand definitely does not know what the other is doing and we would never use them again.

• 2 weeks later...

they have sent me a letter stating if i dont pay within 3 days they are basically goint to try and get a court order to take the goods

my reply

see ya at court then

there is no way i am going to hand over the goods when i have probably paid for them 5 times over, also i am ready and waiting for court also re read the agreements with a solicitor (which i had to pay for) and there are several flaws in the agreements she also said that i have a good case so i am starting to gather all info and now i sit and wait for there court details, good job i have a comfy sofa cause think i will be waiting a while

(oh the sofa is not from buy as you rip lol)

• 4 weeks later...
they have sent me a letter stating if i dont pay within 3 days they are basically goint to try and get a court order to take the goods

my reply

see ya at court then

there is no way i am going to hand over the goods when i have probably paid for them 5 times over, also i am ready and waiting for court also re read the agreements with a solicitor (which i had to pay for) and there are several flaws in the agreements she also said that i have a good case so i am starting to gather all info and now i sit and wait for there court details, good job i have a comfy sofa cause think i will be waiting a while

(oh the sofa is not from buy as you rip lol)

Hi Nicola,

I am in a similar pickle, but they have actually taken my tv back off me the same day, there was no messing around.

They came demanding 2 periods of payments, which i was told on the day was £240ish, and then received a letter yesterday from them saying i was overdue £186 hmm

Anyway, from what i hear, when you get to court with these ppl, dependant on how long you have been paying the court rules in your favour. I wouldnt be suprised if you had a couple more threatening letters and then hear no more from them.

I'll keep checkin back, i hope you get it sorted hun :-)

Hi Nicola,

I am in a similar pickle, but they have actually taken my tv back off me the same day, there was no messing around.

They came demanding 2 periods of payments, which i was told on the day was £240ish, and then received a letter yesterday from them saying i was overdue £186 hmm

Anyway, from what i hear, when you get to court with these ppl, dependant on how long you have been paying the court rules in your favour. I wouldnt be suprised if you had a couple more threatening letters and then hear no more from them.

I'll keep checkin back, i hope you get it sorted hun :-)

omg i have just read your thread too, there is no way i would give them anything back they would have to take me to court, i wouldnt even open the door for them, i will keep you posted on how i get on cause im just sat waiting for them to take further action, buts its a good idea to get advice from trading standards they looked at my paper work and gave me sound advice

• 3 months later...

still not heard anything but im ready to go when i do but i can tell you now if and its a big if they do win any court case i will gladly hand them back all the rubbish i have bought cause most of its broken now like everything with buy as you view its all rubbish my hoover i had from they was smoking all the time and the tv keeps switching itself off

Hi, Ive seen all of the posts about Buy As You View, Brighthouse , Perfect Home, Provident and all other high interest retailers and loan merchants, there are currently petitions running to No 10 Downing Street to highlight this major problem and to force the interest rate down, please get involved by signing the petition and also complain every time to the office of fair trading of bad practice as this will have these companies lose their consumer credit licence and remove them from the market. also see the facebook pages to these companies as there are more victims to hear from on that site. please find the links below and pass them on to your friends. Action Speaks Louder Than Words!

Petition to: Limit the interest rate that can be charged by sub prime market companies. | Number10.gov.uk

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

Buy As You View | Facebook

Welcome to Debt on our Doorstep

Hi, Ive seen all of the posts about Buy As You View, Brighthouse , Perfect Home, Provident and all other high interest retailers and loan merchants, there are currently petitions running to No 10 Downing Street to highlight this major problem and to force the interest rate down, please get involved by signing the petition and also complain every time to the office of fair trading of bad practice as this will have these companies lose their consumer credit licence and remove them from the market. also see the facebook pages to these companies as there are more victims to hear from on that site. please find the links below and pass them on to your friends. Action Speaks Louder Than Words!

Petition to: Limit the interest rate that can be charged by sub prime market companies. | Number10.gov.uk

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

Buy As You View | Facebook

Unfortunately, like all these petitions, it will fail. You will not get a promise from this government to do anything. The most you can expect is a statement saying 'they will look at it'.

Gordon Brown (now and as chancellor), and this government has made umpteen promises to this nation and has not kept a single one of them so if any promise should be made, it will only be because there is an election coming and will be completely ignored should they, god fobid, be re-elected.

Gordon Brown has bankrupted this country and is in no way, nor has ever been, interested in the little Jo public. The only time he ever thinks of the peasants is when he is working out how he can screw them even more.

BUMP

It seems to me that NicoleFrenzy's original post has got some what side tracked, and (I understand) she still doesn't have the issue resolved.

Here's her original post once again:

hi, i have a slight problem with buy as you view i first took out a tv with them 5 years ago and since then have had many electrical items from them i have recently found out that i have been paying for maintance cover and extra warranty..on looking at credit agreements i have signed for the warranty but really didnt read it or wasnt explained to me at all i remember he just put alittle cross where i had to sign and silly me just signed it..i tried to cancel the warranty on everything and maintance but they say i have to have house insurance to do this is this right? also i have noticed that evey time i have got something from them they have added it on to other purchases and calculated the interest on the whole amount making the interest much more..

sorry long post...

i am now refusing to pay can i do this? and also have no idea what route i need to go down i think i was miss sold warranty but as i say dont have a clue what rights i have any help thanks

I would like to invite BAYV to comment, and offer a possible solution...

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

At BAYV we have two types of cover available, both of which are optional.

Customer can purchase optional service cover which in the event of a breakdown covers: product collection, repair, parts and where necessary a loan product if the customer’s purchase cannot be repaired immediately or in the event any product cannot be repaired, a full replacement. This cover can be cancelled at anytime by writing to

Registered Office :-

Buy As You View Limited

Kingsway Buildings

Bridgend Industrial Estate

Bridgend

CF31 3RY

Registered in England & Wales No. 1257038

VAT No. 402 3654 88

We also offer optional cover for theft and accidental damage. Under the terms of the Higher Purchase agreement it is required that the customer has sufficient insurance to cover the value of the products. If the customer decides not to take out cover with ourselves they should ensure that their own household insurance covers these products. We simply ask for a copy of the household insurance policy for our records.

This cover can also be cancelled at any time following the above process, provided the customer can demonstrate that they have obtained adequate alternative cover.

BAYV takes any complaint received from our customers very seriously. Due to the anonymity of postings on this website, it is impossible to investigate an issue without knowing the customers details notably: their name, address, phone number or account number. We would not recommend that anyone posts details of this nature on a public forum such as this.

Should customers have any concerns, issues or complaints they should in the first instance get in touch directly with us either by telephone or email.

If the customer is not satisfied with the resolution, we would encourage them to contact one of the following

Citizens Advice Bureau go to www.adviceguide.org.uk .

The Finacial Ombudsman on 0845 080 1800 or visit www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Consumer Direct on 0845 04 05 06 or visit www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

or contact their local Trading Standards Office

As a reminder, we are absolutely committed to the continuous improvement of our customer service. We can resolve issues quickly and efficiently, if the customers contact us directly.

Edited by BAYV

At BAYV we have two types of cover available, both of which are optional.

Customer can purchase optional service cover which in the event of a breakdown covers: product collection, repair, parts and where necessary a loan product if the customer’s purchase cannot be repaired immediately or in the event any product cannot be repaired, a full replacement. This cover can be cancelled at anytime by writing to

Registered Office :-

Buy As You View Limited

Kingsway Buildings

Bridgend Industrial Estate

Bridgend

CF31 3RY

Registered in England & Wales No. 1257038

VAT No. 402 3654 88

We also offer optional cover for theft and accidental damage. Under the terms of the Higher Purchase agreement it is required that the customer has sufficient insurance to cover the value of the products. If the customer decides not to take out cover with ourselves they should ensure that their own household insurancelink8.gif covers these products. We simply ask for a copy of the household insurancelink8.gif policy for our records.

This cover can also be cancelled at any time following the above process, provided the customer can demonstrate that they have obtained adequate alternative cover.

BAYV takes any complaint received from our customers very seriously. Due to the anonymity of postings on this website, it is impossible to investigate an issue without knowing the customers details notably: their name, address, phone number or account number. We would not recommend that anyone posts details of this nature on a public forum such as this.

Should customers have any concerns, issues or complaints they should in the first instance get in touch directly with us either by telephone or email.

If the customer is not satisfied with the resolution, we would encourage them to contact one of the following

Citizens Advice Bureau go to www.adviceguide.org.uk .

The Finacial Ombudsmanlink11.gif on 0845 080 1800 or visit www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Consumer Direct on 0845 04 05 06 or visit www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

or contact their local Trading Standards Office

As a reminder, we are absolutely committed to the continuous improvement of our customer service. We can resolve issues quickly and efficiently, if the customers contact us directly.

Thank you for your very informative post, BAYV. I'm sure it will assist many visitors to this thread.

As is the case with BrightHouse Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover, I have long suspected that the BAYV versions are optional, and can also be cancelled at any time (in writing) by the customer. This, however, appears to cause much confusion with many of the BAYV customers we encounter here at CAG, so it is of great value for us to now be able to confirm this.

Can you reassure CAG that when a customer requests the removal of service cover and/or theft and accidental damage cover, the customer is NOT required to sign a brand new Hire Purchase agreement and, by doing so, lose their accrued "protected" status on any goods more than one third into an agreement, and their rights against repossession without a county court order?

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to contribute.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

BAYV have responded to the above post:

Cheers

Lefty

Hi, the service cover and damage liability accounts are seperate to the main product account.

When removing either of these we do not need to modify the main product account. Therefore the customer does not lose their protected status on their goods if applicable.

If the customer wishes to have further clarity or reassurance on this, she should call Linda Davies, Customer Service Director.

I hope this helps.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently working on a CAG "Buy as You View" customer advice factsheet - a similar item to our existing CAG BrightHouse factsheet which you may have already seen.

CAG has received a lot of complaints about BAYV recently.

I have placed a thread in the "sticky" section of the forum HERE for anyone to contribute with their experiences, horror stories, GOOD SERVICE STORIES, or anything they feel would be of interest, and of use, to the factsheet.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR VIEWS TO THIS THREAD. Add your views HERE

Many thanks

Cheers

Lefty

;)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry didnt even notice that bayv had replied.

thank you for your reply but this has been going on for well over 8 month,i have phoned,written you name it i have done it all several times i have spoken to mr bell and even he couldnt help me so not sure why i should contact you again the amount of money i wasted on phone calls to area managers/regional managers mobile phones must have been alot.

Can i ask if its true what i have heard in that the agreements have now changed as in you buy 1 item from buy as you view then you buy something else that it is now on a seperate agreementso we dont get charged interest on top of interest etc? if that is the case why couldnt this have been the way it worked in the first place like a friend of mine got a watch from you for £250 the interest on top of interest made the watch at £600 :eek:

and i must stress that i knew nothing at all about any warranty/maintance at all on my agreements and when i did notice i was told that i could not cancel so im very sorry buy as you view but the information you have posted is not the correct procedure that some of you follow