Postage Costs For Returns Within Warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to give me some advice on this issue.

I’m quite a technical person and build my own computers, mainly using parts from Ebuyer. However, if one of my computers the power supply failed recently and needs to be repaired/replaced. I contacted Corsair, who is the manufacturer, and have been told to send the part to their returns centre in Holland. However, the email and their website mention nothing about refunding postage costs, and as this is a bulky and heavy item (getting on for 3kg including packaging and accessories) the cheapest delivery service I can find will set me back £25.

I originally purchased it from Ebuyer in November 2007 and it comes with a five year warranty. I checked the details of this, and one thing that caught my eye was that the part must be “returned to the agent from which it was purchased with shipping prepaid”. I have contacted Ebuyer to ask if they will replace it (although I didn’t mention this quote at the time) and they have replied saying that as it has been over 12 months they can no longer replace it and I must go to the manufacturer.

So what I would like to know is are Ebuyer allowed to refuse to replace/refund under warranty and if so, should I be responsible for paying the cost of posting the part to Holland. It cost £63 when I bought it, so that’s going to be almost a third of the price in postage. Thanks for your help.

Swings and roundabouts. The obligation is with them to repair under warranty and get it back to you. Whilst they may be in the Netherlands, I donlt see them agreeing to pay your costs to get it to them, especially as this doesn't form any part of the warranty. You could always have paid more, and sourced it from a local firm - the choice is with the consumer.

I did recall one vendor saying they gave up on providing free returns as they ended up with a huge shipping bill and no faults found in 40% od the items returned. By making the customer pay their end, they thought twice about it.

Is there any reason you are not taking the SOGA approach with ebuyer?

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court