Attempting to get a refund from AOL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mother in law has had a lot of trouble with AOL. She previously had a Narrowband (dialup) connection before she moved house which she was (and still is) paying £16 a month for although she rang up to cancel, and which she has been trying to do for the past 3 years.

The last time the connection was actually used was October 2005, which even AOL themselves have confirmed.

We recently rang up but got transfered to an overseas call center where, after about 30 mins, she was offered a refund of 1 Month, which eventually was increased to 4 month.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has in managing to get this money for her which is close to £600 now.

Thanks in advance :)

"Attempting to get a refund from AOL"

I posting my S.A.R tomorrow, And then taking them to court

i

I cancelled in 2006 for being doubled charged, AOL stopped one but not the other and because they claimed they could not find the second account they continued to charged me despite the fact I had cancelled for being doubled charged. Anyway they claimed that they could find this second charge with the personal details I provided ( name, address, telephone number, bank details and copies of bank statements, etc),

I could not understand how they could not find an account to stop additional charges taking place.

It was not until i sent my complaint to the ombudsman ( which was several months later, still being charged) AOL carried out another 'detailed' search and found this second charge, and offered a small payment as a goodwill gesture in line with their terms and conditions. ( only allowed to give x numbers of refunds (a fraction of what they took) the account they 'found' match all the personal details i gave them to find the account in the first place - That the thing that make me so mad about AOL.

However, I want a full refund - because I cancelled with AOL back in 2006, it was mainly their fault they could not find this second charge for so long despite all the info i provided them.

ON the website - We will be unable to process your cancellation without these details:

• Your full name ( was provided)
  • Your master screen name ( did not know the username account to the mystery second account existed - never used it so could not provide one)
  • The last four digits of the credit card, debit card or bank account number you provided when you registered with AOL Broadband ( Provided as both charges came from same bank account)
  • Your day and evening contact telephone numbers ( provided)

aswell as other personal details, I believed the information provided should have been sufficient enough to 'find and stop' the extra billings quite easily.

I know there where load of legal lawsuits and complaints against AOL in America concerning cancellations, overcharging and double billings.

AOL Pays $3 Million, Promises to Clean Up Cancellation Process

Consumer complaints about AOL - Double-Billing

AOL's Problems Worsen as Consumer Complaints Mount

Consumer complaints about AOL - Unauthorized Charges

but what about in the uk? Has anyone ever taken AOL to court in the UK and won?

In line with their terms i want a refund for the x ( i thinks its 6) months of being double charged from the point I noticed, complained and cancelled and for a refund every single additional charged since i cancelled my service with AOL.

What consumer laws would apply is any? I wanted to used Unfair terms in consumer contract. Unfair business practices, obtaining money after cancellation- Any ideas will be a great help.

Also when AOL charged me (after cancellation) as result my bank account sometimes incurred a charged from being over my overdraft limit I think 6 times.

I add more info in a few weeks time once I get infro from my SAR back.

Edited by la2006
typos