Getting annoyed as a reluctant first time landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need to vent a little :mad: (should have known better, but hey we learn eventually!)

We had to move out of our old property because we thought our kids needed their own rooms, now the oldest is 10, and the fact we hated the area and the atrociuos parking situation (we'd tried selling it for ages, reducing the price - nothing, nowt, nada. 3 properties sold in 3 months in the area - not good)

So we put our house on with a letting agent in the area at the beginning of December and within 24 hrs there was a potential renter, who applied for the application forms.

We thought "Great, we can move out, and get the house rented out soon". The renters put their application forms in around the 10th December and the letting agency assured us theid let us know what was going on, and keep us up to date.

So we moved out after finding another house, getting the application through and signing the tenancy agreement within the space of 10 days. Expecting a similar story with our house, we continued along.

Then we get to the 15th Dec - application still being processed and going through checks, keep us updated....roll on xmas - no contact :-?

Can't contact the agency until 5 January - application nearly completed, still waiting for job reference for one of the tenants (btw, they still hadn't paid the application fee to the letting agents at this point).

Today get a call - gone through, will sign agreement on 31st January - that's nearly 2 months we hadn't accounted for :mad: As I said, we're reluctant first time landlords and expected things to move faster than this - luckily we got 3mths payment-free from the mortgage company - if we hadn't, we'd be stuffed right now. But we had to move - my mental health was taking a severe beating living in that place, and the kids quality of life was awful.

We told the LA we needed it renting out soon, because of having to pay rent and a mortgage (this was before we asked the mortgage co for a payment holiday) but did they listen? Hmmm

Ok, rant over. Feel totally deflated over the renting game.

Cheers Steve :)

I've downloaded a copy of the contract (they never gave me a copy to keep :rolleyes:) and found the customer charter for NALS, which their a member of. Hopefully this is just a glitch and things will proceed normally from now on, although I doubt it.

Dawn

Now this is a common trick played by some letting agents so you DONT move your property to another agent, they stall in this way to find time to get you a tenant giving you the impression they are processing an application. A few questions to the new tenant should reveal exactly this.

They know all the tricks.

Harsh words BV.

C'mon, it's comments like this that give agents a bad name.

Admittedly there may have been a lack of communication from the agent and that's poor performance but to come up with a comment like

"Now this is a common trick played by some letting agents so you DONT move your property to another agent, they stall in this way to find time to get you a tenant giving you the impression they are processing an application. A few questions to the new tenant should reveal exactly this.

They know all the tricks."

. . is reaching pretty low and adding fuel to a fire that is already burning bright!!

There could have been a couple of reasons why this was delayed.

1. The proposed tenants may have had to give notice to their present LL.

2. Referees were actually slow in responding.

I'm not making excuses for the agent because I do feel that if the OP hadn't been informed of such instances at the earliest opportunity then this is poor but let's not tar everyone with the same brush.

We are still waiting for a copy of the credit check and the prospective tenant's details despite being assured they would be forthcoming at the end of the week. I am getting sick and tired of having to chase the LA up for information THEY said they'd provide. Makes me wonder what they are actually doing for their money - and that is another question...what are we paying for (£299)? They better damn well not be lying to us regarding the tenants - seemed very confident that they had some, even had a file with the details.

I know the fee includes finding a tenant (advertising) and drawing up agreements, but what else. They charge the tenants for the credit check so it can't be for that as well. I'm hoping the cost of putting the deposit in the TDS scheme is included.

I don't know :confused: perhaps I should start charging them for each time I have to call them or drive down to the office to find out someting, or composing emails. Maybe they would be a little faster :rolleyes:

Grrr

europa16.

Sounds like you are quite irate, I sympathise.

There's a serious lack of communication with this agent and they appear to not be helping themselves.

I generally don't give copies of credit checks and references to Landlords, this is generally because they trust my judgement and/or they don't wish to have copies.

Your agent 'may' hide behind the data protection Act and use this as a wind shield.

You may find that you have been given the 'we'll get them to you by the end of the week' line by an inexperienced member of staff who didn't really know what to do and whoever is in charge may not want to give this over.

(there have been many many arguments/discussions over the years whether Landlords should actually receive or be able to see this information, my view is it's your house so you should be able to see it)

Different agents charge different fees for different things. Maybe you should ask them what the £299 is for? Be interesting to see what they charge for, I may put my prices UP!! :D

You need to check which deposit protection scheme they use, there are 3, 2 charge for placing a deposit and the 3rd is a free one so it doesn't cost anything to do this.

Just4let im speaking from only my experience and I do work for several of them and hear both sides of the stories from not only agents, the owners of the properties and the tenants and this does go on I can assure you.

Obviously there are good and bad ones maybe my contract work is from some of the bad ones. One example i remember was a letting agent asking me to supply trades to repair a trashed house asap as the landlord was due back in the country next week and they werent aware of this damage, this was due to lack of home inspections and the reference given not being followed up, I was told this was due to pressure of filling the property quickly so the landlord didnt jump agents. This landlord was then told by the agent that the tenant had moved out but a new tenant was already in place and would be in within 2 weeks, when I asked how can that be when all the damage has to be repaired first I was told they had no one in mind but this would buy them time to find someone.

There are a lot of letting agents around now and this gives landlords the upper hand when choosing who to deal through, but this also puts the agents under more pressure to have the premises occupied, some agents will play fair but some will also play tricks, im sure you will agree.

My point is that all agents are not the same.

You are correct there are some out there but I'm fighting to uphold my business, my reputation, and my service level.

It's down to LL's really to know what questions to ask and to know the answers they SHOULD get!!

Was a bit of a sweeping statement you made that's all . . .

Now this is a common trick played by some letting agents

Try reading it again its not a sweeping statement in my eyes. :D

Maybe your a tad protective of any criticism directed towards agents as that is your chosen career and you dont want to be associated with these activities, thats fine just say your service is run in a professional way and you wouldnt consider such activities, the written word can have many a connotation except "some" its really quite clear.

Try reading it again its not a sweeping statement in my eyes. :D

Maybe your a tad protective of any criticism directed towards agents as that is your chosen career and you dont want to be associated with these activities, thats fine just say your service is run in a professional way and you wouldnt consider such activities, the written word can have many a connotation except "some" its really quite clear.

My service is run in a professional way and I wouldn't consider such activities . . . .there I've said it. :eek:

To be fair I've met many more dodgy Landlords than I have agents, although they are out there.

My point was it's down to Landlords to ask the correct questions to filter out the type of agents you deal with.

Whether you 'cover' yourself with the word 'some' or not it doesn't take away the fact that the statement is IN THERE.

'Some' builders whistle at women when they walk past!

'Some' MP's take cash for questions!

'Some' Cashiers in establishments steal money!

'Some' Landlords don't know their a**e from their elbow!

'Some' DSS tenants will trash your house and not pay you your rent!

The fact that it is said means that the statement is there and it plants the seed of doubt.

My point was it's down to Landlords to ask the correct questions to filter out the type of agents you deal with.

Can you give some examples of the sort of questions that should be asked/should have been asked, Just4Let? I'm not too sure whether I asked the right ones. I'd like to think I did, and the agent are all above board (they are members of NALS).

Cheers :)

Whether you 'cover' yourself with the word 'some' or not it doesn't take away the fact that the statement is IN THERE.

Yes im not disputing that and again its true in my experience with SOME agents.

'Some' builders whistle at women when they walk past!

Shocking behaviour

'Some' MP's take cash for questions!

Yes but try getting an answer from any of them.

'Some' Cashiers in establishments steal money!

Yes to pay the MP's no doubt

'Some' Landlords don't know their a**e from their elbow!

Carefull some of your customers may be reading this then again you did say some didnt you. :D

Some' DSS tenants will trash your house and not pay you your rent!

Oh YES bigtime but again your not saying they all do just some of them, there are also private tenants who will do the same.

The fact that it is said means that the statement is there and it plants the seed of doubt.

Well if you run your business in a professional manner and go that extra mile to please your customers then that is what makes you stand out from the others, in fact it could be argued that by SOME agents behaving in this maner it would eventually push those very landlords your way as they will be found out at some time.

I work hard to promote the image of my company and I would like to think my reputation is what gets me my work. When I hear people make comments regarding my chosen career most times I agree with them because its the truth and im wise enough to accept it happens. I dont get wound up by these claims because im not one of those who would even contemplate it. Those very people who say these things would only know the truth if they used your services and I for one am very happy for them to do so.

I didnt mean to cause offence

Thanks for that,

No 'real' offence taken but I've struggled to take this profession single handed (well certainly in the areas I work) to a different higher level.

Our services are 2nd to none and I can confidently say that without fear of reprisal from local agents.

I know you're correct in the statement about Landlords getting pushed towards us and they are in their droves but I still get the urge occasionally to defend what we do.

:-|

And so the damn saga continues :-x:-x

Chased them up regarding the references and credit check and to get a certificate of *whatever it's called* about the prospective tenants. Two days later, we get an email back:

"We've been chasing the tenants for the paperwork requested and the payment, but haven't provided the info we needed or the deposit payment, this suggests the info they gave may be incorrect.... we've shown another couple round who seem very interested and will make their decision soon. I will keep you updated"

wtf :confused::confused: This comes from the agent who said they had a good eye for good tenants and were sure the first lot would be okay (and the fact they said the stuf had gone through fine):mad:

That's not the only thing (here I go again :-o:razz:)

* The stuff that was on Rightmove (which sounded really good - even if it was, ahem, "borrowed" from the previous estate agents) has been removed and replaced with - not very much in description.

* The photos have been reshot without us being notified, asked, etc - okay the property is now empty, but it would have been nice to be told they were doing it, so we could check them before they went on the net.

*Their actual website shows a completely different property with our details on it - why did they have to mess with it?:cool:

* Their "Tenant Application" form mentions the Data Protection Act 1998, but are they registered with the Information Commissioners Office? no. It also mentions s.25 of the Data Protection Act not s.35, which is what it should be (I think I'm getting a little pedantic now:rolleyes:).

Grrr (again)

Is it reasonable to give them 2 weeks to get someone in the property? I know it can happen (it did with us, but we were able to move straight away) but somebody may like the property and might not be able to move in in that timeframe :confused:

They've still not called back despite assurances on Friday that they would (had to leave a message with the person manning the phones). And I goes down to the property this morning, when I dropped my kids off at school round there, and finds the bloody lights (halogen, no less) have been left on since Thursday :evil: - so I turned the electric off at the meter.

Hubby is the one who has to pay the mortgage but it's me who's stressed out of my box (it really is not doing my depression and anxiety any good - bring on the citalopram again :-|:-|).