AOL v Bo's Best Mate - A Major Rant :-(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a frantic ‘phone call at work today from my best mate. She’d received a letter today from AOL headed “COLLECTION NOTICE – FINAL DEMAND”. The usual blurb …

“We have tried to contact you on numerous occasions to let you know that your AOL account is in arrears and to ask you to contact us regarding the outstanding balance of £XXXX etc…” and asking her to ring them to pay the outstanding amount.

She doesn’t use the Internet herself, however, she had signed a twelve month contract for her son in 2006. She’s had problems with AOL since July 2008 and her son was struggling just to get onto the internet. I happened to be at her house on that occasion when she rang AOL to complain but couldn’t understand a word they said. She got more and more frustrated with them and eventually they put the ‘phone down on her :eek:

I rang them back on her behalf and discovered (after having a major rant at them ;)) that the reason her son was having problems getting onto the internet was the fact that AOL had been taken over by The Carphone Warehouse and they had transferred to their server, hence the problems logging on. They stated that they had advised all their customers about this by e-mail but my mate’s son had not received any e-mail notification. Suffice to say, I managed to sort it out and my mate's son got onto the internet with no problems.

However, a week or so later, her son was still having problems and couldn’t get onto the internet at all.

My mate is terminally ill and frankly, doesn't have much time left :( At the time, she was undergoing radiotherapy and could really do without any hassle. She lost her bank card and had to get a new one ordered. She explained at the bank that she wanted to cancel her subscription to AOL at the same time and they said they would cancel the direct debit for her. She couldn’t find a number for AOL so assumed that as she had cancelled the direct debit with the bank that she had, in fact, cancelled her contract with AOL.

Her son’s computer wasn’t working at all, the screen had gone completely blank and she couldn't afford to have it fixed so she took it to the tip and threw away all the paperwork associated with AOL.

After receiving the letter today, she rang AOL to explain the situation and got some obnoxious collection agent who gave her the usual scarey stuff and threatened a visit by bailiffs who would take goods to more than what she owed if she didn’t pay there and then - unfortunately, she didn't get his name :mad: She tried to explain the fact that she hadn’t had internet access since August last year and that this was the first letter she had regarding the amount outstanding but he did the usual and just spoke over her even after she explained to him that she was terminally ill and didn’t need this. Eventually she put the ‘phone down on him, panicked and rang me to tell me what had happened.

I explained to her that it was the usual scare tactics used by many a DCA (I have the t-shirt :D) and that if in the unlikely event that anyone turned up at her door, then she could tell them to bog off as they would be trespassing :rolleyes: I said I would ring AOL and sort it out for her (not recommended to newer Caggers – don’t ring them unless you know your stuff ;)).

After an hour of haggling and finally being authorised to speak on her behalf, I got through to someone on their “Management Team” who agreed to write the amount outstanding off but didn’t want to admit to their “bully boy” harassing of someone who was terminally ill. It took me fifteen minutes to get his surname :rolleyes:

After threatening to go to the press, I was advised that my mate would get a letter of confirmation that they would write the debt off and also that she would receive an apology in writing for the way she had been spoken to on the ‘phone.

I've asked her to send me a copy of the letter when she receives it and I will post it up on here because to be quite frank, I doubt very much whether he will admit harassment by 'phone in writing.

Suffice to say a victory of sorts - what really made me angry was the fact that it was my best mate's birthday today - it may be the last birthday she ever has :mad:

Edited by Brassed off
  • Haha 3

Jeez, that's just typical and terrible, thank god she had you around to help - but this is what P's me off big time with these companies and DCA's, they Just will not do as they are supposed to.

I had a guy 'removed from office':D for threatening me with bailiffs at wecotts if I didn't pay within 2 days, same story as yours. Luckily I knew different and phoned the director-but it just shouldn't be happening. I'd rather work my butt off and seeing all these dca's out of business than let them carry on like this. If they can't see the mountain of change coming at them from the consumer and train their staff then they shouldn't exist.

Take my hat off to you BO.. well done and my sympathies regarding your friend, may she enjoy what remains of the valuable time she has with her family down here.

Thanks for that Sarah - it has been a very trying evening believe me - Nimrod and Aranjuez Mon Amour on the "hold music" didn't help either (well I am a musician and they are two of my favourites ;)) I just wish she'd rung me before ringing them tbh. But at least she has retained some info I've mentioned to her on the occasions I have seen her and she knew to ring me when she came across issues like this.

I can't wait to see "the letter". Believe me he was so obnoxious - I had to go through major 'phone calls before getting to him and even then, he refused to give me his title or surname and just kept referring to himself as the "management team" and referring to the fact that AOL was a subscription service to evade answering my direct questions. Not blowing own trumpet here but CAGs :cool:

I'm not sure if this is where it ends to be honest. I'm going to see her in a few weeks and if I'm honest, if I were was in her position and didn't have much time left, I'd be making the most of it and if that means getting my name in the newspapers, then I'd do it ;) You only live once :)

Mwah

Well done Bo, I think you could call it girl power!

Joking aside I think you deserve a medal for that. I'm so sorry to hear about your best mate, please give her my regards!! Mwah xxxx

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AOL are the lowest of the low. I have a problem with them now (I have just cancelled as I have just realised what they have been taking from my bank account :eek:). They seem to think they can do what they want as they are "American". I gave them what for, but they still want the alleged £56.00 I owe them (I don't) and a cancellation fee of £59.

They took FOUR payments in July (which they deny), normal payments until October (although they deny receiving October's payment), nothing in November/December (on the right date anyway), then on the 30th Dec, they tried to take nearly £60. They can go whistle for their money as I have proof :D

I am not in the same situation as your friend Bo, but I do know that AOL are bar-stewards.

That's terrible. Well done, Bo. Your friend really shouldn't have to worry about the likes of them.

I wish you both the very best. Take care hun x

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

..also remember that these members of staff in banks and dca's are often reluctant, or advised not to give out their names ( I wonder why? :D ) but they are given staff numbers, so if anyone wants to know who they have been speaking to and the person is reluctant to provide that, just ask for their identity number so you can refer back to them in future.

Well done Bo. I'm so pleased you sorted it out, although i didn't doubt it for 1 second!! I hope your mate had a nice b/day, she deserves it. These bullies can't ever be allowed to get away with this sort of treatment. I'm really glad she has you there for her, not just for this side of stuff, but for everything else you do. :)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Well done Bo. Great job on getting this problem sorted out. :)

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Nice one Bo :D

Give your mate a hug from Wendy and I when you see her.....

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a month on and no letter of apology from AOL :mad:

Why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes:

All my mate wants is an apology and confirmation that this has been written off. It's not too much to ask.

I will be firing off a letter of complaint, addressing it to the "Legal Department" and pointing out the possible implications of not replying to my complaint, ie going to the press or legal action. If that doesn't get a response, I will certainly be taking it further ;)

Will keep you posted !

• 1 year later...