Freesat Advice Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon

We are trying to be good and cut back on spending far to much and one of the things we have decided is to possibly go to Freesat.

We currently have a SKY+ box and multiroom.

We tend to watch mainly the free channels anyway which you can get through digital, however we do like watching the documentary channels such as Discovery, Nat Geo and History Channels. If we were to change to Freesat would we be able to top up the 'box' to receive these and if so who would we need to speak to.

Thanks

Me

A&L - Overdraft / Charges On Hold £300

Mum v's the DCA

NatWest. No CCA - For around 6 months no DCA has chased for this amount :D

MBNA. No CCA - First Court Claim :( Panicking. Just about to start the small claims

Lloyds TSB. Overdraft / Charges On Hold Waiting for test case

Sister

Halifax - No CCA. Keep getting the man and his dog chasing, again the 'go away' letter is sent :p

M&S - Have CCA. Nothing for 2 years from anyone?! :)

Argos - No CCA or DCA involved for over 2 years now :)

Next - No CCA or DCA involved for over 2 years now :)

4 x Others accepting token payments of £1 as CCA in place.

No - there is no provision for 'premium' channels unless you stick with Sky's version of FreeSat. The Non-Sky version will use the same dish & LNB and provide HD for free, but not the channels you mention.

I spoke to Sky about it today, and basically the bloke I spoke to said that they would remove the dish, and boxes if i cancelled the contract and when/if we move to FreeSat we have to pay £120 :(

Me

Mum v's the DCA

MBNA. No CCA - First Court Claim :( Panicking. Just about to start the small claims

Sister

Halifax - No CCA. Keep getting the man and his dog chasing, again the 'go away' letter is sent :p

hi,

As far as I'm aware, once your minimum contract expires with sky, the equipment becomes yours therefore sky cannot touch it.

After that you can contact freesat and get a card for your digibox. I think this costs £20.

The drawback is that you won't be able to use the PVR function on your sky+ box. it will become a normal satellite receiver.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

What nonsense! The dish is yours - end of story. They'll want the Sky Plus Box back, but to be honest it's not worth anything once they stop updating its EPG. The £120 price quoted is for their replacement 'FreeSat' box - basically a standard non-PVR reciever.

You would be better quitting Sky directly, and getting the UK FreeSatreceiver service, on the FoxSat FreeSat+ PVR. This puts you back where you were, but with no monthly charge, and no reliance on Sky or any viewing card. The box makes use of the two satellite downleads (as before) so make sure the guy recovering the Sky+ doesn't touch your dish.

Thank you for that, I think I might be giving my 30 days notice then! Will we still be able to get Discovery / Nat Geo if we go with what you said Buzby?

We've been with Sky years so its not like we've changed our mind after 6 months.

Me

Mum v's the DCA

Sister

I'm surprised Sky took the offensive, but the new FreeSat service is stealing their thunder and dominance. I cannot guess what channels will be available in the future on the FreeSat platform - the news is that Discovery is taking space on Freesat for an HD-based no-fee channel that will be branded in an alternative style (ie NOT called Discovery) but this is more to to with Sky stamping their feet. Check out this link; freesat - Home

Just trying to find out how to PM you, cant see the button!!

Me

Mum v's the DCA

Sister

Think I've messaged now :confused:

Me

Mum v's the DCA

Sister

I have just bought freeview plus box can this be used to record freesat in any way????

No. Freeview plus takes digital signals from your aerial and not from a satellite dish. as it's a freeview+ it will have two tuners built in so you can still record one channel and watch another.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I've only been here three months. does that count :D

Hi DC....what thread is that? How can I find it, Ive just clicked on your name but cant it, can you paste the link for me, thx :)

Me

Mum v's the DCA

Sister

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/digital-tv-services/176091-dont-get-sky-free.html think this is the thread in question.

Can I add that giving/receiving advise via pm is not a good idea, if the information passed on is incorrect then it wont get picked up and corrected by others as it would if it was posted on the open threads

saint

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding Free Sat - once you have completed your contract with Sky one year the box and sat dish are yours! also you can insure then so that if they go wrong they will be repaired or replaced free of charge! Also if Sky are being a pain you can buy the boxes at any electrical store.

I know this as I have gone from contract to freesat, you dont even need a new card, the old one is still in my box.

Also for all of us who have portables without a scart lead, again this is easily sorted - all you need is a RF to Scart connector available on the internet for 17.00, or you can connect via your video which automatically has a RF Modulator inside it.... we are being turned off in July

and all the above I have done with my portable and still using the small Aerial that came with the TV which is over 20yrs old ;)

so dont be bluffed into huge wastage that you really do not need!

Freesat - contract? No way!

You are confusing Sky's attempt at leveraging subscribers by offering a cut-down alternative. There are TWO systems, the genuine alternative to Freeview, but delivered to customers via satellite - complete with HD versions of those channels that have them available. Then there's Sky basic - which they call freesat.

Sky do not provide ANY HD services to their freesat customers. As for the equipment, as only their SkyPlus HD receiver is HD capable, anyone who has this equipment and terminates their contract will find that the EPG won't update and it will not record anything either. Not the same with the Freesat service provided on the Foxsat/Humax receiver.

Sorry Busby I wasnt talking about any HD system, I was talking about the basic Sky 19.00 a month contract that I had for 3 years - which I cancelled and then went onto Freesat.

I never bought a new box, dish or card - in fact it was a phone call saying no want contract - stick me on Freesat!

Apologies if I confused anyone ;)

thanks for info buz i had to ring consumer direct today to get Sky to back down over a non existant contract,i tried upgrading for the 16.50 along with the talk and broadband,shysters then wanted 49.00 for hd box (that i did nt mind but on the invoice by e mail on the monday night 2 hours after ordering and accepting they cut of all my usual channels gggrrr i was being hoodwinked the invoice was for 43.50 a month ? crooks anyway consumer direct sorted it out within 1 hour of contactin sky thank god they were trying to also invoice me for cancellation of the new contract no way hosay i have been with sky for over 15 years and never asked for nout for free so i knew then i did not have a contract and didi nt have one for over the last 3 years so when i questioned them monday night thaey said they would put my system back to the status quo as it was before but when i received five letter since tuesday all confirming a new contract agreement i was hoppin mad and rang CD they sent me a e mail with the unfair contract terms and misrepresentation letter to send by post so good on consumer direct damm sky have still not aknowledged my 6 e mails so i gotta write the letter but who cares thats another customer they have lost for good i was always one for loyalty and they have shown none so never ever will they step accross my thresh hold ever

so ime going for freesat thanks for info buz

patrickq1