Ocean finance TV??....worrying at all?

godpikachu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i turne don my TV this afternoon, to see several adverts regarding a new channell in sky digitals line up...

channel 888 is now "Ocean Finance TV".

seeing as how people like this have ben helping people to get into furthur debt for quite some time now, is it just me that feels worried that soon other companies will follow suit?.

what next?, moorcroft TV?, with the 7pm-8pm slot being the "name and shame hour", where they tell stories of "evil debtors" not paying up etc?.

Many a true word said in jest...!

How the hell did this happen?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I don't think they would be silly enough to do a "name and shame".... it would leave them wide open to libel claims.

I would think that it will be "Loans for All". The same thing that you get in all the newspaper adverts.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

i couldnt believe it either until i went to channel 888 and saw it for myself.

it seems that their "programming schedule" is made up of infomercials showcasing the packages they sell. at this point in time (23:52), theres a program on called "the ocean aquarium", which is just a camera trained on a fish tank full of fish, with annoying music playing in the background, however, pressing the RED button makes all the action happen.

you get a menu that pops up, showing you that they offer mortgages, loans, debt consolidation, and even a bit of info about the company itself, you can also apply for any of these services at the touch of a button!

getting into debt has never been so easy!!

• Haha 1

i couldnt believe it either until i went to channel 888 and saw it for myself.

getting into debt has never been so easy!!

Yay - thankfully I did not fall into Sky's clutches, but wonder how long it will be before this muck works it's way into cable too?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Ocean must be making a hell of a lot of money if they can afford a 24/7 digital satellite TV station, AFAIK the operators liscence alone costs £1 million a month, lol, although thinking about it, they probably make that in a day.

anyways, being as how their sevices can now be aplied for at the touch of a button via your sky digital remote, does this open up a whole new can of worms with regards to unenforceable debts, distance selling regs and good old fashioned mis-selling??.

i mean say a child picks up the TV remote when mum and dad arent looking, presses a few buttons and mummy and daddy end up remortgaging their home, or taking out a loan for 50 grand.

hopefully applications made through the TV will be backed up with a phone call from their sales folk or at least a letter containing t&cs and/or a credit agreement, if they dont then i really do despair for the country if gettinginto debt is going to be made so easy a 5 year old with a TV remote can do it.....

When Moorcroft TV comes on, I wonder if they'll have a gingerbread man episode once a week :D

With the digital sig thing and not requiring a proper signature for a loan, it makes id fraud even easier. I wonder how my people get DCA demands for loans that are in their name, but they know nothing about?

Before too long almost everyone in the country will have a poor credit rating, so what will the banks do then? :D

Back in the 50's most people just had the basics you needed live. A tv set or a car were a luxury few could afford. Most went to work on the bus or pushbike.

Since then we had materialism shoved down our throats for the next 50 years. Brainwashed by the media into thinking we needed all kinds of useless stuff. Just add up all the money you spent on clothes, gadgets, and material things that you got bored with after a few months.

Then in the 70's along come credit cards, buy now pay double later.

We've been encouraged to live a champagne celebrity lifestyle on a lemonade wage, with credit making up the shortfall. My cousin is a classic example. She's on minimum wage, but will happily spend £200 on a handbag or pair of shoes.

Now everyone is maxed out on loans and cards, and all the government can do is to use taxpayers money bailing out the banks so they can encourage us to take on even more debt. The house of cards is falling down Gordon Brown, there's no point trying to add more cards.

Lending money that doesn't really exist, but as soon as you can't pay it back with real money, they take your home and posessions from you.

That's what we've been fooled with for a long time. Now it's all tumbling down and we face a scary future because of the actions of a greedy few.

• Haha 1

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

When Moorcroft TV comes on, I wonder if they'll have a gingerbread man episode once a week :D

lol, the "evil gingerbread debt dodger hour", where a moorcroft "legal" expert (see, someone who sits all day writing drivel and trying to find extremley weak loopholes in established legal statutes), explains to the audience the tricks that nasty debtors try to use to stop those valiant call centre monkies from achieving high commissions.

Back in the 50's most people just had the basics you needed live. A tv set or a car were a luxury few could afford. Most went to work on the bus or pushbike.

Since then we had materialism shoved down our throats for the next 50 years. Brainwashed by the media into thinking we needed all kinds of useless stuff. Just add up all the money you spent on clothes, gadgets, and material things that you got bored with after a few months.

Then in the 70's along come credit cards, buy now pay double later.

We've been encouraged to live a champagne celebrity lifestyle on a lemonade wage, with credit making up the shortfall. My cousin is a classic example. She's on minimum wage, but will happily spend £200 on a handbag or pair of shoes.

yeah, i was always brought up to believe that if you couldnt afford it, you couldnt have it. thats served me well so far in life, i dont owe anyone any money, i personally dont have to worry about threatening letters printed in nasty red ink or knocks on the door from overpaid gorillas seeking to bleed me dry.

thats not to say i havent bought anything on credit, i have, but ive always made sure before buying it i had the money to be able to pay it, its a lost art called "budgeting" that those nice people at credit companies would like for you to forget about, because if more people started budgeting for what they could actually afford, theyd get no commission!....and heaven help us if they didnt have commission to spend on 98" plasma tellys, XboX 360s, takeaway kebabs and cheap cider!.

My cousin is a classic example. She's on minimum wage, but will happily spend £200 on a handbag or pair of shoes.

can u ask her for a loan for me then please.

£200 on a pair of shoes or handbag OMG it makes me sound like a cheap scate. My big bag, babys changing bag, was free. The normal handbag was £5.00 of the local market and my small bag was £2.99 from barnados. they all seem to do the job. The £200 ones do they do anything special like carry themselves?

Shoes.

The last expensive, for me anyway, pair of shoes i brought were over half price at £25.00 but i wont were them once then throw them in a cupboard i have been wearing them for weeks. I normal wear cheap trainers, well i shop in sports world that slash the prices by upto 70%, were £9.99 other than that free due to no CCA.

well how she can afford to throw £200.00 on a pair of shoes or handbag i dont know lets just hope she wears/ uses them more than once.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

My cousin and her shoes and designer clothes. :eek:

Let me let you into a secret Godmother.

She's 26, lives with her parents, never paid any board/contributed to living with parents financially, never has. Her only outgoing are running a cheap car, she's on my uncle's insurance for that because it's cheap. So most of her money has been disposable income. Her boyfriend is in the same situation, yet they have been together for 4 years and still never been to look at a house or flat, mortgage or rented. She said on xmas day, She was waiting until detached houses come down to what they can afford. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and when has 2 people on minimum wage, who love designer clothes and going out 3 times a week, ever been able to afford a detached house? Bearing in mind 100% mortgages are impossible now and they have nothing saved towards a deposit or spare cash for things like furniture or carpets.

Dream world or what? But this country is full of them, and they're in for a rude awakening in 2009.

Problem with my family is, none of them apart from me has ever been made redundant, or had to struggle financially. But they're very quick to laugh and critisize me because I have on two occasions. My time will come, and I'll have no sympathy for any of them. I'll just give them the same crap and excuses for not helping that they've given me for the last 2 years.

The same people who say I waste all my time on the internet, but they watch every soap and reality tv show going. But I'm the one who's faced redundancy, Hardship/DCA's calling, but they can't work out why I'm not bankrupt or being taken to court at all, and my car will be back on the road in 2 weeks time, dispite no help from my family and it's taken me 7 months of no life/nights out/luxuries to do it.

I have nothing to lose, so the recession can't do much worse to me now, but for them it can take everything away and I know they won't cope wih it. But there's no way I'll help the one who did nothing when I struggled.

You reap what you sow.

Even if I had won the lottery I'd feel ripped off at having to pay £200 for some footware.

Does that make me a miser or just sensible?

Happy New Year. :D

Edited by fuzzybobble
  • Haha 1

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I have nothing to lose, so the recession can't do much worse to me now, but for them it can take everything away and I know they won't cope wih it. But there's no way I'll help the one who did nothing when I struggled.

Its funny you saying that FB as having gone Bankrupt at the begining of 2007 i said much the same to someone recently, 2009 might be looking like a bad year for most, but i have already been there and done that, so wont for me, although i still have the OH,s problems to sort, i know the worst case scenario, and its not that bad if used in the right situation, so 2009 does not look as bad to me as it does to others.

The beauty is we have knowledge to help them, one way or another, the big banks will hurt as much, if not more than the commen people this time round if we have anything to do with it;):)

My cousin and her shoes and designer clothes. :eek:

Let me let you into a secret Godmother.

She's 26, lives with her parents, never paid any board/contributed to living with parents financially, never has. Her only outgoing are running a cheap car, she's on my uncle's insurance for that because it's cheap. So most of her money has been disposable income. Her boyfriend is in the same situation, yet they have been together for 4 years and still never been to look at a house or flat, mortgage or rented. She said on xmas day, She was waiting until detached houses come down to what they can afford. :rolleyes:

OMG she still lives at home @26. Iam 27 with 2 lovely children and have a council house. Even when i was in college living off £50 a week i had to give some money to my mum ok it was only £10 but it was better than nowt.

Yeah, and when has 2 people on minimum wage, who love designer clothes and going out 3 times a week, ever been able to afford a detached house? Bearing in mind 100% mortgages are impossible now and they have nothing saved towards a deposit or spare cash for things like furniture or carpets.

No Savings then well they will find it hard.

Dream world or what? But this country is full of them, and they're in for a rude awakening in 2009.

Some dream worlds are nice but this is goona be a good one to watch.

Problem with my family is, none of them apart from me has ever been made redundant, or had to struggle financially. But they're very quick to laugh and critisize me because I have on two occasions. My time will come, and I'll have no sympathy for any of them. I'll just give them the same crap and excuses for not helping that they've given me for the last 2 years.

Fuzzy if they cant help you then why should you help them. Blood is suspose to be thicker than water from what i know.

The same people who say I waste all my time on the internet, but they watch every soap and reality tv show going. But I'm the one who's faced redundancy, Hardship/DCA's calling, but they can't work out why I'm not bankrupt or being taken to court at all, and my car will be back on the road in 2 weeks time, dispite no help from my family and it's taken me 7 months of no life/nights out/luxuries to do it.

It always feels better when you have strived to get the things you want even if you have had to cut back on some of the fun times.

U know what i was saying just that today i have nothing to lose yet i am in the best place for a ressecion. No job to be made redundant from and having been threw it all once, when my dad got made redundant when i was in middle school, i know how to survive. I have don up to know and i will always know how to. The kids have never missed out on things but i have.

You reap what you sow.

Even if I had won the lottery I'd feel ripped off at having to pay £200 for some footware.

Does that make me a miser or just sensible? I cant say i would pay £200 for a pair of shoes either if i win the lotto. There is still money in the property market as even thought it is falling the rental market is up. i would invest in property and have a deal with the council to house the ppl on the property wanted list but i would be in control of my propertys not them.

No i dont think it makes you a Miser as they have never bothered to help you so why should you help them i can certainly say that i know no body who has never helped me would get my help. I can say thought for deffo i know one place that would get a sizable dontion when i win the lotto.

Happy New Year. :D

Happy new year to you Fuzzy.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

The only problem with living in a dream world is that, sooner or later, it will turn into a nightmare.:eek:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

my dreams never do but i tend to wake up b4 they get to bad. :lol:

Anyway fuzzy i believe what you have sad about not help them if they every have the pleasure in becoming bankrupt is right if they cant help u then why should u help them.

Nice posts FB very true indeed. Sadly it all boils down to econmic growth. We are constantly told how wonderful this is. Trouble is Economic growth is like a nasty tumour, it devours anything indiscrimately in its path. In turn Econmic growth is just a by product of the debt based money system we live in. 97% of our money supply is debt. More money has to be created by the banks to pay off original loans, ad infinitum. Credit was very easy to come by over the last ten years so people could by useless? items. Now it has come home to roost so to speak.

Has anyone else noticed that NatWest are advertising their "SALE" of mortgages and loans on TV? I daren't look into what that means in reality but in retail, it usually means the seller considers your statutory (consumer) rights are null and void, no returns are accepted etc etc.

I get shoes from eBay, last pair cost me £7.50 including post and packing!

As for having a 'detached house' why do they need one? Its just the 'keeping up with the Jones." syndrome all over again.

I too am now finding people are coming to me for advice on how to live 'frugally' - ie without credit...

I tell them to use Freecycle and look in the £1 shops for various bits, sometimes they sneer but then they find out that a pair of undies is the same whether you pay £2.99 for a pack of five or £45 for one...

I have long had the knack of scrounging winter coats, this years one came from a friend who was doing a house clearance for a friend who had died, I got two very nice raincoats and one wollen winter jacket for free, plus some ornaments and a rug...

• Haha 1