Can an employer open mail/parcels that are addressed to the employee but have the company name and address on the mail?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been searching the web for an answer to this problem and have yet to find anything.

The problem I have is that if I get any parcels sent to my work address, addressed to me, they get opened before I get them. I have asked the person in question why this is done and they have replied that it is company policy.

I am not sure where I stand on this issue as it is the Christmas period and I have ordered several items from the internet to be delivered to my work address. I find it difficult to get to my local post office due to travel restrictions (ie the post office is shut when I get home) which is why I don't get them delivered to my house.

My main concern is that if any items are missing/damaged then who is to blame? Is it the person opening the parcels or have they been damaged in transit? Also is it an invasion of privacy?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

My main concern is that if any items are missing/damaged then who is to blame? Is it the person opening the parcels or have they been damaged in transit? Also is it an invasion of privacy?

As to the first point I suppose if it came to it, it would be whatever you could prove on the BOP if the matter were litigated i.e who damaged the item.

As to your second point, one has to consider is it reasonable that an employer opens parcels addressed to one of their employees at the company's address - I believe it is.

I wonder if you could get somewhere on interference with mail legislation - I don't know this is not my area.

Ultimately, if this bothers you too much, then cease ordering stuff to be delivered to your work address!

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I wonder if you could get somewhere on interference with mail legislation - I don't know this is not my area.

No.

The Postal Services Act 2000 does define an offence for interfering with the mail in the course of transmission.

However, transmission ceases at the point that the item is delivered to the postal address.

Once delivered to an address, there is no offence.

Once delivered to an address, there is no offence.

Cheers PD

I knew there was some legislation in this area, but as I said, I wasn't sure if it would apply.

It would appear not then!

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks for the replies.

So they can open the parcels even though they are addressed to me.

I have checked the company policy and there is nothing relating to this written in there.

I understand that I should get the parcels delivered to my home address but as I stated I find it difficult getting to the post office.

also, and this hasnt been mentioned, your employer could open the parcels for security reasons, for example, they have no idea wether a box adressed to you contains a few DVDs or a bomb, so they would be well within their rights to open it to check to see wether the contents are dangerous or not.

you could ask the postmaster/receptionist nicely if they would let you know when a parcel comes for you, then you can nip over and open it in front of them, that way, you can retain responsibility for making sure the contents arent tampered with or stolen, and they can have peace of mind knowing tht the ocntents arent dangerous or illegal in some way.

i did this at one of my old workplaces, the receptionist and my manager were fine with this but my manager made a point of stating that if me going to open personal mail interfered with my work i wouldnt be allowed to have anything delivered anymore.

Do they open mail and parcels addressed to the managing director/ceo/finance director?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

My company did the same, open your mail before you get it. We started sending hair piece brochures to a manager once, it soon stopped. He didn't want anyone going through the mail before him.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Do they open mail and parcels addressed to the managing director/ceo/finance director?

yes, I would say so.

It would have to be addressed using the company's address, that's good enough for royal mail, and enough for the firm to open it.

Doesn't matter diddly doo who's name is printed on there.

How could royal mail determine that a parcel for Mr Jones is actually for Mr Jones when there could be 20 or 30 Mr Jones' in a big firm?

Everything in our office gets opened unless its marked Private and Confidential. This is because if somebody was on holiday then it may lie for 2 weeks and it could be important.

I do think they have a right to open stuff addressed to their office. Perhaps if its marked P&C they don't open it! I'd check that out.

Kind regards

Gemspan

I have seen this issue come up before and I understand that your company is entitled to open any parcel delivered.

However it only takes a simple request to ask a manager or post room staff if they would mind you having deliveries to your work place.

I work in a post room which covers about a 1000 members of staff and we would NEVER open anything with someone's name on - I really think there would be murders if we did!

We have everthing scanned by security as it comes in anyway (due to the nature of business) so there is no need to open for security reasons.

If there was no name then we would obviously have to open but that doesn't happen often.

I know I wouldn't be happy if my mail was opened!

Lisa x