• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AMEX Charge Card - is agreement enforecable?

Betamaxfan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem looming with amex - i owe almost 30,000 on an amex platimun charge card. I got to that point very quickly as i act as a supplier of it equipment for small firms and was burned by a company disappearing after taking delivey of several grands worth of stock which i ordered on my amex charge card. The people did a midnight flit and i have no leads to chase/follow them.

I have not made payments for a few months and not been in contact - (typical head in the sand).

I also moved around a lot and hoped the debt would get sold on to a DCA and i could negoiate a smaller settlement at a later date.

However a process server has been to my current house and left a note to say he had been and to contact Marston Group Ltd (formally Drakes i believe) as they have a document to serve on my which i think with be a stat demand. no future appointment was noted on the letter (i understand this is important and should be present).

if it is a Stat demand i'm hoping to get it put aside (thanks to looking at some of the excellent info on here) i think i might have grounds as i have not recived any default notices or account termination letters at my current address.

After that can anyone advise if it possible to claim the agreement is unenforeable (if the application is not filled out correctly) i'm unsure if a charge card is covered under the consumer credit act as no interest is payable.

Or maybe someone can point me to another thread (i tried searching but only really got amex credit cards) which has a similair setup.

Thanks

BMF

Hi BFM

Welcome to CAG

You will need to post a copy of your agreement here before anyone can say anything about its enforceability (you have to make 5 posts before you can attach a document though - part of our anti-spamming measures)

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up.

I don't have a copy of the agreement as i'm still hoping the stat demand won't appear.

I was hoping if somebody knew if a charge card came under the same banner as credit cards when it came to enforcability.

Charge cards have no apr just a condition that you repay your balance in full each month.

I have seen a few threads where people have issues with amex and charge cards but can't find any where the issue of agreement wording is discussed.

Thanks

BMF

Hello Steven/Betamaxfan!

I don't think charge cards are covered by the CCA 1974

I think many are not Regulated, although some are partly-Regulated, and a handful are fully Regulated if they Offered, say, a Cash Advance facility.

The Agreement is therefore quite important to see, as it should state if, and by how far, the Agreement is Regulated by the Act.

I'm no expert on many things, Charge Cards included!

But I have a multi-page one where the Terms are quite interesting, in that the main Agreement is only partly-Regulated, but ahead of the Signature Box is a little paragraph that tells me that if the Agreement was Signed off the bank in question's premises, and a bank employee specifically discussed that a Cash Advance option was available, then they needed to send me a different Agreement fully Regulated by the Act.

In my case, it was, he did and they didn't respectively. So I have a Charge Card where they presented me with the incorrect Agreement and I Signed the wrong Agreement.

The bank in question are now unwilling (and unable) to send me a Copy of the correct Agreement. I have written evidence to confirm the negotiations were indeed carried on off their premises, and by one of their employees, and a Witness to confirm the Cash Advance Facility was specifically discussed.

No idea what the end result will be, but if Betamaxfan was/is in the same boat, there could be a glimmer of hope...just a glimmer, mind you, but all may not be as dark as it first seems.

Getting a Copy of the Agreement, is now the main problem for Betamaxfan. But hunt the Web and CAG and a similar one may have been Posted somewhere else.

Cheers,

BRW

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the long wait between posts.

After it seemed that no one had any advice for dealing with charge cards I left it to see what would happen next.

The answer was nothing for 6 months till another letter was pushed through the postbox today - i've not opened it but i'm 100% sure it's the same as last time. Just asking the person to make contact with them so they can serve notice.

Hopefully someone may respond with a positive thread on charge cards as they do seem to be weighted heavily in the banks favour.

BMF

I can see that the letter is excactly the same as before - asking to make contact with them.

At this stage I have no intention of responding unless i would predjudice myself at a leter date - would I?

BMF

I am not suggesting you contact them.

Charge card agreements may or may not be regulated but IMO they still have to comply with some aspects of the CCA 1974 - the requirement to send a Default Notice before commencing collection activites, for example.

Thanks for the reply,

(thanks to this great site) I'm aware of the process they need to go through, so i'm waiting till i get something solid from them before i reply.

I'm almost jealous of the guys unjder the protection of the CCA 1974 - i just wish there was a similair light for charge card users.

BMF

THey still have to comply with other consumer legislation such as regulations on unfair terms, etc. They still have to comply with contract law.

• 2 weeks later...

no it's Marston (formally Drakes), they have sent letters saying they will attend at such and such a time to present a stat demand but have never showed.

I'm guessing when it comes to getting the stat demand set aside (as i have had no other notices from them) i can claim for waiting in at home for their failed visit?

BMF