Car on axle stands?

weecorey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have heard if you have your car up on axle stands and sorn (i.e 4 wheels not touching the ground) that the dvla can not touch it as it isn't on a public road. The reason I ask is my car's tax and mot have just run out, the timing belt broke a few weeks ago and Im in the process of getting the cylinder head sorted. Theres no chance of me getting the car tested and taxed within the next 3 weeks, the car is sitting out side my house in a parking bay which is classed as public highway. I was going to sorn the car but they can still clamp it as its on the public highway, if I put it up on axle stands will I be ok?

thanks in advance.

Sorry but you have been mislead.

When the wheels attached to the car are on the road, so is the car. If the car is up on stands, the car is attached to the stands and is therefore still on the road.

DVLA won't miss a chance like this to earn themselves £80.

So what option do you have in my position? Like I say, there is no chance of me getting the car mot'd and taxed within the next 3 weeks, I cant drive the car anywhere as the cylinderhead is off at the minute.

The options are quite straightforward: tax it, or remove it from the road.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Put it on a trailer.

Seriously. A trailer does not require either VED or MoT and its load is irrelevant.

Mind you, it must be a trailer that allows for the vehicle to have all 4 car wheels on it and not just a two-wheeled towing dolly.

Otherwise, as Barracad says, get it off the public road (as you cannot tax it at the moment) Get the repairing garage to recover it to their workshops (and make sure they know it's not to be left on the public roads)

A good idea the trailer if you can get hold of one for a while.

What about your front garden, do you have a hedge or fence that you could make a hole in and push it onto?

It doesn't matter about your mum or partner complaining, the £80 you could lose will take care of repairing that.

The idea isn't to avoid the penalty, the idea is to make DVLA have as miserable a Christmas as possible.

I have a wall around my garden, I'm going to try and get the cylinder head back on the car and driving on saturday, I will declare it sorn now and hopefully drive it to a mates yard on saturday.

I hope you get it moved in time before some snoop happens along.

If you can't get it going on Sat, ask your mate for a tow to his yard, but remember the brakes will be harder with no engine assist.

If you can't get it going on Sat, ask your mate for a tow to his yard, but remember the brakes will be harder with no engine assist.

I nearly ran into the back of my father when he towed me home after the belt broke! Had to use the hand brake.

The brakes are just as effective, it just means you have to press a lot harder on the pedal to get the same effect.

You've had a practice and didn't hit your dad so should be ok next time.

Just something to keep in mind. I wouldn't want someone to go home with a smile on their face - 'got another one love, should get a good bonus this year'.

Just bear in mind that even to be towed, the car should be taxed ans tested, so beware of any ANPR cameras en route. Best make sure that your number plate is fully obscured (innocently, of course!) by the trailer board or on tow sign.

• 1 month later...
Put it on a trailer.

Seriously. A trailer does not require either VED or MoT and its load is irrelevant.

Mind you, it must be a trailer that allows for the vehicle to have all 4 car wheels on it and not just a two-wheeled towing dolly.

I like the idea.

I see that the contents of a trailer are irrelevant, but how would such a trailer stand with respect of parking zones, yellow lines etc or even Congestion Charging Zone?

Does a trailer not have to carry a registration number of a 'controlling' vehicle, whether connected to it or not?

If a controlling vehicle (and its number) is not attached to the trailer is it then not part of a motor vehicle and could it not be considered as 'litter' or abandoned and be removed by authorities?

Serious questions.

TIA for informed answers.

It's really quite sad that you should have to resort to such measures - I mean, a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss in a situation like this - sadly, with the DVLA being 'promoted' to an arm of HMRC and with the 'snoop factor' being instilled in everyone, you have to be seriously inconvenienced.

OF course, this idea of "them and us" that they seem to revel in creating in us all does them no favours at all.

...and to think, this country used to lead the world.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I like the idea.

I see that the contents of a trailer are irrelevant, but how would such a trailer stand with respect of parking zones, yellow lines etc or even Congestion Charging Zone?

Does a trailer not have to carry a registration number of a 'controlling' vehicle, whether connected to it or not?

If a controlling vehicle (and its number) is not attached to the trailer is it then not part of a motor vehicle and could it not be considered as 'litter' or abandoned and be removed by authorities?

Serious questions.

TIA for informed answers.

In law, it is treated in exactly the same way as a skip or other exempt (and therefore unregistered) vehicle.

The requirement for a trailer to display a VRM only applies whilst it is being towed. Note the number of artic trailer units parked up with no VRM - the tractor unit driver puts the correct VRM plate into a slot on the trailer as part of the hook-up procedure.