Haw many times should something be repaired before you have a right to exchange?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! First post so please be gental ;)

Don't know if anyone on here will know the answer but it's worth an ask...

We bought a dishwasher 8 months ago and have had to have it repaired twice already... basically the door catch keeps failing meaning you can't close the door properly and hence it becomes unusable!

Last repair was Tuesday last week and it failed again on Friday - as you can imagine it's a bit of a ball ache and we're now expecting and engineer to come out again tomorrow. As this will be the third time it's needed the same repair (don't know if it's always been the same component but the problem has been the same each time) are we in any position to reject the faulty unit and ask for a replacement?

I have a feeling that after the third repair the customer does have the right to reject but according to comets customer repair line it's only the engineer that can deem it un-repairable and arrange for a replacement...

TIA :D

(It's a Kenwood dishwasher by the way)

As far as I can remember there is no replacement remedy under the sale of goods act. You can reject the goods which would give rise to a refund remedy. Just because you have had the goods repaired does not always mean that you have accepted them, if you accept a repair you should make it clear that should that repair fail in a short space of time then you are rejecting the goods.

If it is the same fault that keeps occuring then it may be that the goods are not of satisfactory. I would go back to the store and ask for a refund

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi

We had much the same problem with Comet. We purchased a dishwasher from Comet, 3 months later it tripped the electrics, engineer called and replaced the motor, 2 days later it tripped the electrics again, engineer called again said it was the control board and we needed another new motor. This happened 4 times in total. After the 3rd time we contacted consumer direct and they as we had allowed them to repair the machine twice already we was within our rights to reject the goods.

However, Comet said they could repair the machine as many times as they liked and we was not within our rights to reject the machine and get our money back. So we allowed another engineer to come and fix the machine, it lasted about 12 hours!

So in the end we sent a letter to: (which we should have done in the first place)

FAO Managing Director

COMET Group PLC

Comet House

Three Rivers Court

Rickmansworth

Hertfordshire

WD3 1FX

Three days later we had a phonecall from head office, offering their sincerest apologies, and that an engineer would be around the following day to write the machine off. Two days after the engineer had been, they came and collected the machine and refunded our money.

So my top tip is write to the store telling them that you are rejecting the goods. ( I used a template letter off the consumer direct site) if you get nowhere with that then write to the managing director.

If you cant find the letter on the consumer direct site, then I can give you what I sent.