Harassment by MBNA

steven4064
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Steven!

They've stopped Calling me, probably because they've now Sold everything off to DCA land (who will be asking for Refunds soon I suspect)!

However, I do have a long, long Log of their Calls, many Recorded Messages, and one interesting set of Calls when they used the Calling Line Identity of our Mortgage Company.

I moaned at the Mortgage Company asking what the heck were they calling about, they said it wasn't them. So, they called the number and found themselves speaking to MBNA on what was one of their own numbers! MBNA fessed up that the purpose of the call was actually about my MBNA Card!

Mortgage Company confirmed this via email, so I have proof.

Long story, but the Call Centre was one run by MBNA who also handled Cards for our Mortgage Lender. So, they could elect to use a variety of numbers when calling out. I am sure MBNA checked who we had our Mortgage with, and thought it would be very clever to use a number that was otherwise not linked to MBNA but to the Mortgage Company instead.

Perhaps they thought I would see a Mortgage related number, poop myself and knee-jerk into answering. Thus give an MBNA Phone Monkey a crack at some abuse otherwise denied them because I'm not usually easy to catch out on the phone, at least not by cretins.

If any of this is of any use, let me know.

Cheers,

BRW

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Littlebert8!

Has anyone else received calls from MBNA that appear to originate from a mobile number i.e. 07...?

I have quite a few Logged Calls (at least suspected to be from MBNA) from Mobile Numbers that started with Codes:

At least one left a Message, it was from MBNA and I did Record the Message!

I think the person leaving the Message made a mistake, and forgot they were using a Mobile, because all of the other Calls from 07 numbers never left a Message.

However, I'm sure they were all from MBNA because the Mobile Calls were in amongst a pattern of Calls also from MBNA, so the timing was pretty clear it was MBNA.

They seem to cycle the Calls, i.e. Business, Home, Mobile, and will vary the numbers they Call from in each cycle...however, three Calls in a pattern within a minute or so, confirms it was MBNA behind it.

So, yes, they do use 07 numbers, and I suspect they reserve the use of them for the nastier Calls...thinking these won't be linked to MBNA as easily. Wrong.

Any suggestions as to how to stop these calls?

In my experience, just giving them a good dose of ignoring them does the trick...eventually. But that is only how I handled them. What follows may not be ideal for everyone.

They'll bother you for some time, maybe 400 or so calls, and then will stop once they reach the end of the time frame allocated to bothering you.

I suspect that talking to them may only encourage them. So, all bets could be off if you stop ignoring them. Once they know they can reach you, then they'll probably keep trying.

Sadly, if they do get you on the phone and find they can lead you a merry dance, they then know where they stand with you.

Thus, my advice remains that it is best not to even talk them, ever. There's nothing they need to say over the phone that they cannot say in writing.

If they can't say it in writing, then it is almost certainly something you do not need or want to hear over the Phone.

First line of defence is to get a Phone that has Calling Line Identity (CLI) display. At least then you can see the number. If no number shows, it is 99.99999% trouble, and you don't need to answer it.

Second line of defence is to get an Answering Machine. Let all Calls you don't recognise, or that hide the CLI, go to the Machine, and let that handle them for you.

Third line of defence is to find a way to Record Calls, and then learn how to use it until you are comfortable being able to take a Call and know how to Record it smoothly without getting in a wuddle.

The above is the basic things needed to combat them. If you do get caught out answering a Call from them, then just remember not to answer any Security questions. Click Record the moment you know it is not a Call from someone you know, and either hang up PDQ, or if you feel confident, then see if you can encourage them to make a Data Protection Act 1998 mistake by blurting something out not having established who you are via Security Questions.

It's your Phone, so never forget that. If you wish to answer every Call just because it is your Phone, that is fine. Just make sure you are always in charge, and make sure the Call goes according to your desires and not theirs.

However, do remember that they are usually Calling you ready prepared, whereas you get seconds warning that it is them...less if you cannot even see the CLI that is Calling you.

That is why they like the Telephone, because they know it can give them an advantage because of the element of surprise. They want to catch people off-guard, so they can hit you with hassle and try to make you knee jerk into doing something you would not otherwise do if you were given more time to consider your actions.

The bottom line remains that they are only calling you to hassle you. Something like 500+ Calls to my family's numbers alone confirms they are trouble. Nobody makes 500+ Calls to anyone unless they have a screw loose or they are trying to make a nasty point.

Best tip I can give is to ignore them, but do Log the Calls as Harassment Evidence.

Do send them the Harassment Letters, and then one day you can either take that further as a Harassment Claim, or stuff it up them as a Harassment Counter-Claim should they elect to haul you into Court thinking you won't have any evidence of their behaviour.

A detailed Log of the Calls, by Time/Date and CLI (when shown), plus Recordings of Messages left by Time/Date to link hidden number Calls to Messages to prove it was them, plus as many Witness Statements from people who were in your Home when some of the Calls came in, will not look good in Court.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

...that one I've seen a few times!

Seems to be an MBNA Village Bike mobile number...anyone gets to ride it!

Some harridan called Christeeeen was riding it when the number called me.

She shouted at my Answer phone a few times, which must've made her feel a whole lot better. Well, I can only assume it did, because she kept on doing it.

However, I gave her calls a good dose of ignoring, exactly the same as I gave all the other MBNA F-Wit calls a good dose of ignoring.

Life is too short to take calls from foul mouthed single brain cell Telephone Hoodies (especially when the stinky little suckers are out of grabbing range).

Cheers,

BRW