My Nans credit card debt.

Sceneshift
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I am asking this question on behalf of my Nan. She is 84 years old and has a £1500 debt with Llyods TSB (credit card by the looks of things) which she has had for over 10 years (or perhaps longer, she is old an can't remember.) Without going into specifics, she is living in a eldery home on her pension and can only manage to clear the interest every month (£30) which she uses her pension for.

I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help her, sicne this debt is extremely old and she is clearly not in a position to ever pay it off... what kind of options are open to her?

Thanks very much.

I think the first two things to do are figure out how much of the debt, if any, is made up of unlawful penalty charges - and also to send off a CCA request to see if they actually have a record of the agreement signed by her.

This is going to sound overly personal so I apologise if it does - but does your Nan(or did she 10 years ago) suffer from any degenerative diseases such as dementia or Alzeimers?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I was obviously planning on contacting the bank and figuring out exactly how long the account has been open for, and a list of all charges incurred.

Not sure what a CCA request is, so I'll look into that and follow it up.

No worries for the personal questions, I appreciate your help very much. My Nan has cancer and has been given a roughly year to live, I'm not sure if this counts for anything.

A CCA request is a Consumer Credit Act request. In other words, it is a formal request to see the agreement that has been made between the lender and your Nan to ensure it is enforceable. My guess due to the age of it is that it will not be. Search on these forums for it, there are plenty more knowledgeable than myself on this topic.

My thinking was more along the lines that you could argue with the lender that they should not have entered into an agreement, as your Nan was in no condition to do so - it does sound as if this argument is a non-starter.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi SceneShift,

Take a look here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

You could ask the bank to freeze int't on the card, for instance.

Also, Letter N in the selection (CCA request) is how you find out if the bank/card company have a valid credit agreement for the a/c.

I'm moving this thread to the General Debt Issues forum.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I am asking this question on behalf of my Nan. She is 84 years old and has a £1500 debt with Llyods TSB (credit card by the looks of things) which she has had for over 10 years

It's unlikely that they will have a copy of the agreement. Without this the account is unenforceable even in a court of law. Even if they do have one it may not contain all the prescribed terms and again would be unenforceable.
she is living in a eldery home on her pension
I

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I am asking this question on behalf of my Nan. She is 84 years old and has a £1500 debt with Llyods TSB (credit card by the looks of things) which she has had for over 10 years

It's unlikely that they will have a copy of the agreement. Without this the account is unenforceable even in a court of law. Even if they do have one it may not contain all the prescribed terms and again would be unenforceable.
she is living in a eldery home on her pension
I assume then that she has no assets. Is that correct?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.