Splitting an attic bedroom into 2 bedrooms

europa16
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5694 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We've got a 2 bedroom house at the moment (it's on the market), one bedroom is on the first floor, the other, larger bedroom is in the attic. It was converted donkeys years ago to the building regs at the time.

We're thinking of splitting this room into 2 smaller bedroom, adding another velux window for the newly created 3rd bedroom, and another radiator. A small landing will also be created leading to the two smaller rooms. The walls are going to be fire resistant plasterboard, and solid doors to each bedroom.

My husband is going to be doing the majority of the work himself (apart from the velux window - he hates working at heights :roll:)

Is it going to be as simple as this, or are there any building regs we will need to make sure we comply with? Would we be able to market it as a 3 bedroomed house once it's finished?

Advice welcomed :)

It depends how simple it is to do this based on your husband's skill obviously, so I guess that's only something you and your husband would know.

I seem to remember that if the conversion isn't inline with the building regs of the day then no, it cannot be considered an extra bedroom but only storage.

I'd get your property checked over as it is now, to make sure it is in fact classed as 2 bedroom, and that your proposals will meet with the regs to market as 3 bedrooms.

Also, I gather that the access to the loft is all important to be considered a bedroom.

Hopefully somebody else will be along soon to answer more fully.

Would almost certainly be subject to buiding regulation approval, fire and means of escape etc.

Also remember that any purcahsers solicitor will ask about alterations and ask to see the completion certificate from the local authority building inspector. this does not mean you cant sell without, but it may be a bargaining point to reduce the price.

Also one reasonbly sized bedroom is usually better tha two small box type rooms

Thanks guys for your input.

My husband has done partitioning for a number of years now, and worked on a number of large sites, so he knows what he's doing thankfully.

The bedroom had already been converted to 2 bedrooms when we moved in 7 years ago, and the solicitors checked all this out for us - no problems came back. The staircase is up to spec, and the door is fire resistant to todays regs (30 mins, i think). Those wouldn't be changed, unless necessary.

The top bedroom is huge, so splitting it into 2 not only creates space for our children if the house doesn't sell, but in my area, the three bedroom properites are of more value (lifestyle-wise, rather than monetary), so we were thinking it would be more desirable, as well.

Is it worth having a chat with the local authority inspector?

Please check with BC, saves surprises later: The access stairs from ground to the attic rooms needs to be a protected area with 1/2 hr fire resistance and ALL doors leading from these stairs need to be 1/2hr fr with smoke seals and be self closing.

You will also need at least one window in the attic room o be an escape window from whch the FB can gain access; i.e Velux must be 1700 max from eaves.

Sorry if this has already been said (or is completely irrelevant) but there is no legal definition of a bedroom. The best one can come up with is that a bedroom is one that is advertised as such. If anyone CAN get a LEGAL definition, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Sorry if this has already been said (or is completely irrelevant) but there is no legal definition of a bedroom. The best one can come up with is that a bedroom is one that is advertised as such. If anyone CAN get a LEGAL definition, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Yes, but this involves a loft and the OP is specifically asking about a further bedroom within that loft and the legal angle is that certain criteria must be met for it to be habitable, bedroom or not.

I could describe my 2 up 2 down as 2 bedroom, 2 living rooms yet a new buyer may use it and describe it as 1 living room, 1 bedroom, 1 study and 1 home office!! Still 4 habitable rooms.

If it gets cleared for all the building regs and you get your certificate, then you can class it as a bedroom, if not then it can only be described as a loft room. This is my interpretation, but of course I stand to be corrected.

Edited by 389shell
duh, brain is now in gear

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

I decided to ring B.C at my local council. It seems that we would need to submit plans (scaled drawings, showing what we intend to do with the room) - for that privilege, it will also cost us £350 :eek::mad:

That's on top of the cost of materials.

Any ideas? I've tried looking on the net to see if anyone else has split an existing loft conversion, but I can't find a thing.

Maybe more trouble than it's worth...

There is no problem with you actually doing the work yourself, however if you don't have the certificates off the council then you can only market it as 2 bedrooms and you may have problems with any purchaser ie. knocking you down on the price because of lack of certificates even if you call the extra room as a loft room.

If you know for certain that it will add value (how certain can you be in the current financial climate), then you have to ask yourself if it is worth the agro and extra expence. Personally I would just for the paperwork.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: