style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, everyone - today I received a 2-page letter. they say that they adhere to the Guidance Notes. They say they have referred the issue of my husband's weight back to the GP once more but as the GP has sent all my husbands notes to the health authorities the HA have to return them to the GP and this is causing delay. They say "his GP indicates he was much heavier than stated on his proposal form". they go on to say blah blah blah "we have been put on warning that there has been possible under disclosure of your husband's weight and as such we must investigate this. We must therefore wait for the full information to arrive from the health authority in order for us to give this our full consideration. We may well have all the information that Dr. XXXXX is able to give, however this is not all the available information". Goodness knows what that is supposed to mean. Sounds like a fishing expedition to me. They say that normally my husband's BMI would give a loading of +25% which they say is minimal, but the underwriters can use their judgment and waive this, and they did so in my husband's case. They do accept he told them he was obese! It is a very long letter, not clear at all times, but they make it clear they will not yet give a decision until they have heard from the GP again. So, watch this space! Nanjay trying very hard to keep sane!

Nanjay,

I too am sorry for your loss.

Do you have any photographs that show your husband and a weight gain?

Any older clothes and newer ones of a smaller size?

Can any friends make witness statements that confirm they had noticed a recent weight gain?

All of these things will help your case.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

thank you Bernie. Because he was still a very big guy, and most of it around the tummy, it is difficult to tell really from photos. Believe me I have looked. Also he always tended to wear baggy clothes which covered up the tum somewhat. And when people that big lose a bit of weight the stretched skin just sags. Especially when you are older. I have 2 witness statements that he lost weight during the year before we took the policy but what is to stop them saying he should have told them he used to be bigger, but had lost it and no guarantee he wouldnt put it back on again? Say you had for example stopped smoking a year before and then started again 3 months after taking out a policy. So you had put yourself down as a non smoker. They would expect you to tell them you used to smoke. But he told them he was obese. they have admitted that. There are some examples at the end of the ABI Guidance Note. I have just found out that I am entitled to ask the Doctor to let me have details of the questions they are asking and the info they can ask the Doctor is restricted under the Access to Medical Records Act, so I have written to the Doctor. They say their manual rates a BMI of 37 at +25% and they used their judgment in not loading the Policy at this rating. They loaded it for my diabetes at +75%. I will post again when I hear from them or the Doctor. Sorry this post is a bit stream of conciousness, but it is late and I am a bit tired. - Nanjay

Edited by Nanjay
bits missed out

Obese is obese. You did tell them that and they accepted it. That is all that should matter. They are clutching at straws in my view. Let's face it though. A Bookmaker doesn't like paying out when someone wins, so obviously Insurers don't like paying either.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Yeah, I agree, its another fishing expedition and I think there is a remark somewhere in that ABI Guidance Note about it not being reasonable for them to go back and ask for something they should have asked for in the first place. Because my husband is now dead, his medical notes were passed to the AHA who now have to locate them and send them back to the GP. If I were my husband's GP I wouldn't be very happy about that. I have written him a letter saying I want to know what they have asked him and to see his reply under the Access to Medical Records Act which I found on the web late last night. There is an agreed code of conduct between the ABI and the NHS for this sort of thing, centred around the Act. Isnt the Internet wonderful when you really start to look at it. If I go down, I am going down fighting. Luv to all and tnx for your support - Nanjay