"Money for Nothing" - BBC Three

Aterlatus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone else watched the "Money for Nothing" documentary on BBC tonight? Really good to see some light shed on the shady tactics of the creditors even if it was saved for 1am!

Just checked and it's on iPlayer - if anyone wants to take a peek it's over here. Genuinely interesting to watch (although I guess we all know already) - nice shot of TSB headquarters though. My bestest buddy atm ;)

• Haha 1

I watched it and posted it on the bank charges in the media section, I think. Rebecca Wilcox is related to Esther Rantzen. I did a little digging;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Aterlatus, thanks for putting that link in for that BBC money for nothing documentary. I watched it and thought it was excellent and very informative, also filmed in a quirky way meant it wasn't "boring" to watch!

It goes to show how naive people can be when it comes to knowing about APR. I couldn't believe it when the young girl though it meant a discount!

It's scary that so many people don't realise how debts can build up this way. The BBC should have put it on BBC1 or 2 at least, putting it on at such a late hour means it would have been missed by many!

Thanks again, Mrs Z :)

We all get wiser with age, and we all wish we could turn back the clock and do things differently. At the time, signing on the line to withdraw £200 off your credit card to pay some bills doesn't seem like a big deal ;)

I'm told it was also shown at 9PM, although still on BBC3. The way she was bluntly turned away from EVERY bank or lender really does speak volumes though - they know it's immoral, but when there's so much money in it who's gonna stop them? Maybe we should petition for compulsory lessons in school to teach people the evils of credit? :D

i saw this on a earler time in te day. i think it was about 9pm. sorry the tv mag said last week at 9pm ish.

i was shocked by how easy it was and by how ppl were encouriging her.

i also laughed went ppl thought it was monet off. thanks to CAG i know its not.

i also like how one company said she was not allowed to film there store. obviously did not want the bad press.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I liked the legal interlude - cover their backsides now instead of having to post an apology later. lol

I'm surprised nobody popped the suggestion that she was refused credit because she'd already had 5 searches run that day though ;p

hat shicked me it is when she wnet for a shoppping in Dublin, if i remembered it well, she told that she has a creit limit of 3 000 pounds then her friend turn around and said to her congratulations .... and don't worry about paying back straight away it is so easy ... very scary to think like that....

yes i was wondering about the credit check too aterlatus but it was quite easy for her to get credit even the sale s assitant had no clue about APR and interest

thats what i found rather strange. The sales assistant was completely clue less about the hole thing. That on its own would ring alarm bells for me as they should no something to do with the card.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Sales assistants are £5 an hour staff who don't give two hoots one way or the other so long as there's food on the table. They aren't paid to understand finance.

That's one of the reasons I'd never, ever, ever get a store card. If I want credit, I'll find credit - I won't let it find me!

yeah thats how i work it. But u would think they would no something as most stores /sellers get a bonus per card/ credit item they sell. Like greenwoods turned up yesterday and offered us £100 worth of vouchers.

I said not and he was moaning about him not getting his bonus out of the street i live on as no one wants to sign up.

they can sack u unless it is in ur contrct that u have to seel x amount of cards each wee. Without that they can be done for unfair dismisal

yep.

I know the company who my mum works for have sent a email to all the shops saying if the shop dont sell £750 worth of topup a week they are in line for the sac.

i used to work for a well known fashion designer, i got sacked because i took too long to serve a customer and i was to chatty with them ..... then u i told him that my job titile was customer service he mentoend that we are not here to serve customer but to keep an eye on them !!!! what a great manager he was !