Bar Codes on DCA Letters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the blue florescent dots were used when we manual coded each letter

we sat behind a keyboard, pre IT revolution and typed the postcode which then was stamped onto the letter

that letter then went to another machine that read the dots

its called an ocr

optical character recognition

that machine short coded it to the nearest mail centre for that code

ocr is still used but a machine called an imp does the work i used to do on the keyboard

its by two sets of barcodes

one line to the nearest mail centre

the second sorts it into walks at that mail centre to go to the local delivery office

Hello Postggj!

Thanks, I thought you meant the Orange ones, that clears that up.

It's the Orange ones we need to crack, but as far as I can now tell, there is no date in them.

The upper Track Code contains a day of the month, location of machine that printed the Barcode, a time stamp, and so on. That gets encrypted and creates the upper Barcode. IOW, it cannot be read by eye and there is no Character Mapping published.

The lower Route Code contains the Postcode and delivery point details and that is also encrypted, so that cannot be read by eye either.

The secret to cracking them will be to establish the encryption, and then gradually work out which elements of the cracked code say what.

i.e. the upper one may start off as:

Machine = 154

Time = 07:46

Day of Month = 17

Serial of item = 12566578954

So could end up as:

That then gets encrypted into, say:

That then gets turned into a Postal Barcode, which needs, say, four Bars per character, so needs 64 lines.

So, firstly we have to work out the algorithm that turns this:

Into this:

Then we have to work out which bit is what, i.e.

154-0746-17-12566578954

The main bits of interest would be the 154, the time of 07:46 and the 17 for the 17th day of the Month.

The Lower Barcode is also of interest, because that proves where the Envelope was sent, so proves it was sent to the same Address as the DN was sent to.

Whilst it is not a Date in full, if the DN was dated, say, the 16th and the Barcode confirms the Envelope was Barcoded by Royal Mail on the 17th at 0746 in the morning, and the lower Barcode confirms the Postcode...and the Envelope was 2nd Class or UKMail etc, then on any Balance of Probabilities, any sane Judge will agree the DN was posted in that 2nd Class Envelope, and sent to your Address etc.

I hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

the blue florescent dots were used when we manual coded each letter

we sat behind a keyboard, pre IT revolution and typed the postcode which then was stamped onto the letter

that letter then went to another machine that read the dots

its called an ocr

that machine short coded it to the nearest mail centre for that code

ocr is still used but a machine called an imp does the work i used to do on the keyboard

its by two sets of barcodes

one line to the nearest mail centre

the second sorts it into walks at that mail centre to go to the local delivery office

If you read the earlier posts you will see that what is being referred to is the barcode which is printed on the items nowadays, not the blue phosphor dots which were withdrawn in 1995 - clearly they would not be being printed on items 15 years later.

For your information, OCR is where the machine reads the actual address, not a barcode or dots or anything else for that matter - OCR refers to reading printed or handwritten text.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I Have It On Good Authority The Other Postal Operators Keep Hold Of The Mail Till The End Of The Week Before Its Passed Onto Royal Mail

Thats Why You Get Dca Letters On A Saturday

From Personal Experience In My Past A Letter From A Dca Can Take Up To Six Days To Be Delivered

If you read the earlier posts you will see that what is being referred to is the barcode which is printed on the items nowadays, not the blue phosphor dots which were withdrawn in 1995 - clearly they would not be being printed on items 15 years later.

For your information, OCR is where the machine reads the actual address, not a barcode or dots or anything else for that matter - OCR refers to reading printed or handwritten text.

THATS WHY ITS CALLED

and i did say the blue florescent dots were not used anymore

From the information request DiddyDicky posted, these codes aren't encrypted, it *should* just be a case of decoding them. It's about 15 years since I did coding theory at uni, but as long as there's no encryption involved, it just needs a LOT of envelopes to work out the reverse character mapping. Work out the character set first so that each 4 bar group gets a code, then decode those codes into letters and / or numbers (the hard bit).

The 3 bit checksum is harder to work out, but it's basically just 3 additional characters on the end that confirm the rest of the line has been written correctly.

The reed-solomon part is kind of like an automatic spell checker