Guidelines for doorstep salespeople

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guys, a little question about something that has got me really annoyed:

Are there any guidelines on the times when a salesperson can and cannot call?

We have just had two salespeople from NPower knock on our door, and I had to tell them to go away through the door three times. Yes, just now - 9:25pm on a Friday night!

They had plastic ID cards with their names on them and NPower printed across the front.

Apart from the blatant cheek about timing, which has me absolutely fuming, we have several people whom I would class as vulnerable in our block, including single parents and mentally ill people. One of our residents actually opened the door and had to endure ten minutes of hard sell before they managed to politely get away. When OH went down to complain to them about the time, they wanted to know what flat number we were before stating that they didn't see anything wrong with their tactics...!

Who do I shout at to stop this ever happening again? *fume*

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

They walked on down the street for a bit, had a discussion, then walked off down the road and stood at the bus stop, and had a very heated discussion. Something's not right.

Hmm, they're a subscriber to the AES code of practice - which states:

7.1 Sales Agents must only make sales calls on consumers at reasonable times recognising that what is regarded as reasonable can vary in different locations and in different types of households. Sales Agents will in any event only call between 9am and 8pm, unless it is at the consumer’s request.

7.3 Sales Agents will, as soon as possible on making contact, identify themselves, the Member they represent and their purpose. The Sales Agent will produce an identity card, without prompting, which clearly displays the Member’s name, the Sales Agent’s name and photograph, and an expiry date for validity of the card. Sales Agents must not misrepresent themselves, for example as calling to carrying out research etc.

7.5 Sales Agents will end the discussion and leave the premises immediately at the consumer’s request. Sales Agents will voluntarily cease contact with a consumer who clearly indicates that contact is inconvenient, unwelcome or inappropriate.

Thank you, AES, NPower will be getting an e-mail tomorrow...

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

1 I guess they wanted to know your number to probably explain the situation because they may have been invited by another dwelling but got mixed up. Do you live in a block of flats?

2 You state that single parents are vulnerable, however, single parents are also energy users who are, in turn, a potential customer. What is wrong with that? (ie In what way do you think a single parent is more vulnerable than others just because somebody knocks their door?)

3 NPower are the worst for this type of complaint btw.

4 If a salesperson knocked on my door and revealed I could cap my bills for the next two years to avoid the hefty increases that are coming, why would I be angry in any case?:confused:

I used to be a telephone market researcher and we weren't allowed to phone after 9.00pm as it was considered unreasonable. For parents with young children it woud be particularly annoying, and who's to know they will save money.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

N power even ignore stickers on the door stating we do not buy or sell at the door , its so annoying:mad: To be fair British gas did the same this week and shouted at me well if you want high bills. To be honest I was shocked with them because they quoted a prevous tenants name who lived here 7 years ago and apart from clip board with british gas on it there was nothing else, no uniform or id badge. They just kept saying are you so and so and I eventually slammed the door closed. I even suspected they could be a dca becaue their persistance in wanting me to confirm name.

I understand they are just doing their job, but its getting out of hand. How many times does a person have to say NO to Npower on the same estate in one month. They are like determined ants on a mission:D

Youve hit the nail on the head:)

N power saleman did it to me a couple of years ago before powergen were eon. To be fair I was lucky and powergen organised the reshuffle to put me back to them, but the letters from npower to sort it out did my head in. They point blank refused they were at fault, all I was asked was my name who was I with previously and I didnt sign anything. Luckily powegen have put note on my account to contact me before anyone tries to do the same thing again, Id forgot about that (Im scatty) till your post reminded me of a bitten nerve on the subject. Poor powegen having to deal with me I do get panicked as if 'the end of the world is nigh' I knew it happened and was rife around my area at one point, but I thought theyd been told ( by bbc watchdog-maybe Im wrong there and it was another firm)to behave on that subject.