The price of cheese.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a small victory in reclaiming the majority of my business bank charges, I thought I would have a think about what I could do next by way of reclaiming my rights as a consumer.

I have a lot of time to do such things as I have a young son and my wife works at night, so i spend a lot of time in the house on my own once my son is in bed.

I had an idea the other day though, which i thought might be worth pursuing for a laugh if nothing else. My wife and I were talking about how much more we seemed to be spending on shopping all the time nowadays and we both agreed that cheese in particular seems to be much more expensive. We both thought that this was funny as there used to be a saying about pensioners not having anything else to talk about than the price of cheese, we thought it might be a sign that we were getting old :lol:

But then we both wondered what would happen if we wrote to our local supermarkets to complain about just that. I decided we should find out as I'm sure they will be obliged to reply.

I've formed what I think is a convincing argument about so-called "loss leader" products and have started to convince myself that if they can afford to make a loss on luxuries to entice people to spend more on necessities, then they could absorb some of the cost of rising commodities without having to pass them onto consumers. On the surface it is a very serious letter which doesn't seem at all tongue-in-cheek surprisingly.

I know that they may well not take it very seriously and that I'm not likely to receive any compensation, but I thought their reply would at least make entertaining reading.

Like I say, I have too much time on my hands, so I was wondering if anyone had any other ludicrous suggestions for letters I could write to the many companies out there to wind them up, if nothing else it would give us all a good laugh.

I have considered writing to BT for my next one to suggest that I would be prepared to install a network of paper cups and string in my street at my own cost in return for a discount on calls to my neighbours :lol:

Moderators feel free to move this thread if you feel it is in the wrong section.

And then you can publish them and make a fortune in the manner of Henry Root!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Is that the guy who wrote "the time watser letters"? I suppose a good letter could be how daft supermarkets think customers are by introducing self service checkouts (I.E - not only do you pay us for the goods but now we've got you doing the things tht we used to actually pay staff for doing!). Perhaps they could introduce self-verification (a la weights and measures) for alcohol sales rather than having some machine tell you to call a staff meber over (eventually). or maybe that there is no problem with my items - just the stupid damned machine!

I can recant some complaints I received that could posibly be turned into letter form.

There was the guy who called to complain about how long he spent queueing to get through to complain about, err, queueing (he wasn't a customer nor did he want anything else except to complain).

Of course, you could always find a job advert for a particular company, cut it out and send it to that particular company for distribution to staff as a reminder....

You sound like Tom Locke...mind you, he did get some wonderful responses...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Wow! Just shows - don't ask, dont get! Can't say I've got the guts though. I'd probably get the following response:

"Dear My gyzmo (sir)

If you walk down the high street you will find things called "shops". If you go into one, you can PAY for the product you have asked for. What do you think we are? A charity?

Yours,

D. Smith,

Oxfam

Why don't you ask your council if they will do you a deal with your council tax. Tell them that the night before collection days, you will patrol your street and check that no one has left their bins on, or overhanging on the pavement. Whilst you are doing this, you will also make sure that nobody has been tempering with the 'bugs'.

This way they will save money by employing someone to do this for them, and will be able to hand out severe penalties for your thoughtless neighbours who dare to remove or vandalise their bin bugs, never mind the shameless ones who actually put their bins out early!

Ask for a 10% reduction.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: