they don't need to keep agreements for longer than 6 years?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm battling with Sainsbury's Bank - sent a S78 in March - have received 2 application forms and they have now written to me saying they cannot locate a copy of the original agreement and quote from letter....

"I confirm that the bank is not legally obliged these documents since your account is more than 6 years old"

I have now asked them to point me to the law which states this - but they have been unable to do so!

Any comments on their "legal obligations" gratefully received!

This may have something to do with the Statute of Limitations.

I am sure there was a thread on here which was to do with the so called 6 year rule which took us all back to a treasury committee report from the early 1970's. I do not think there is any such rule/law which states that documents must be kept for a maximum of 6 years and then destroy them.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Under tax rules, Companies House & money laundering legislation, they are obliged to keep some documents for six years plus. I don't think they are obliged to keep agreements for any specific length of time, more fool them.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html