Can they take you to court if your not in the country?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There - I'm hoping someone can help me with this question - I ahave several debts all of which I can't pay - but have been trying - up to now I've had reasonable rapport with most of my creditors but since I got ill and went on income support some of them have become nasty. I asked them all if I could pay gbp1 per month goodwill etc, some of them accepted but the others didn't and now they're becoming pretty horrid and threatening court etc blah blah - I have CCA'd the nasty ones and I' m waiting for their reply - my question is - if they don't have the contract now and I go and live abroad without sorting anything out with them- (I'm hoping to be able to full & final most of my creditors in the next few months with some money from my mum - but I'm thinkning the nasty ones can go er..jump) can they take me to court even if I no longer live in the country? - If they do take me to court and I dont know about it - and so don't keep up any payments - can they issue a warrant for me if I come back to the UK etc. Is there any official way of letting the courts know Idon't live here any more - any advice about this would be very helpful. Thanks

Depends where you are moving too, I think most EU countires have cross border agreements, but IF you decided to move abroad, it is highly unlikely (unless you apply for credit overseas somewhere) that they would find you....Also if you moved house then although they may try and take you to court, you may get a CCJ by default, which you could fight providing you have proof that you weren't living at the previous address when the court papers were issued...