Sony Laptop Screen Cracked - Sony Wants £672?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if this is in the wrong bit, but its my first post.

Hi there, we bought a Vaio NR21s two months ago. Came home, lifted teh lid and the inner LCD screen had cracks on it and ink leakage when we turned it on. No-one else had been in the house or used it, and nothing had fallen on it, nor had it dropped off the table.

I sent it to sony and now they want £672 to repair the screen when the laptop only costs £599.99 new. They are refusing to repair it under warranty as they claim its down to "physical damage". There is no damage to the unit, not even any scuffs or scratches. The tech told me that it could be due to "pressure" not actual dropping or damage, and it could have happened months ago.

Please can i get some help and advice on what to do from here?

Thanks!

I'm sorry to be a total naysayer, but I actually wholly agree with the Sony tech here. These things dont crack themselves, and something MUST have happened to it for this to happen.

Your only slim hope is that with it being in the first 6 months, they have to prove that the damage is non-manufacturers damage, but I do feel they'll be able to do this fairly easily.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Did the tech actually say it could have happened months ago?

By the way, I disagree with that evaluation, but if he is saying it on behalf of Sony you may well have a much stronger case.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

OK. Where did you purchase it, from which retailer?

Just got off the phone, and they say there are no marks, and no signs of physical damage, yet the engineers have diagnosed it as physically damaged. They have stated that the repair is chargable, and that is the final answer.

Where to from here? They have already said that the damage could have happened before purchase, but have basically said tough luck.

Where to from here? They have already said that the damage could have happened before purchase

Do you have any proof that they said this?

Thats a shame - that would have forced them to replace.

Would suggest a letter to them under the SOGA(Sale of Goods Act) stating that they must prove that the damage was not manufacturer damage within the first 6 months of ownership. As you have been told on the phone that the damage may have occurred prior to your possession of it, it is impossible for them to prove this, and as such they have absolute liability to replace or repair the laptop.

However, I do suspect that this one could end up going to small claims court.

I personally dont know of any I'm afraid - but I'm sure someone will, or will have time to knock up a quick template for you(I'm at work and cant unfortunately!!).

• Haha 1

Screens can be broken by lifting the lid from one side and not the centre. I think they should be robust enough for you to lift from one side.

As said before, it is up to them to prove that it is not a manufacturing fault.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

the same thing has happened to us. daughter came down put the computer on and no screen. sony asked to see a photo (they are based in egypt) and i was on the phone for 30 minutes saying it hadnt been dropped etc. no marks on casing or screen but they insist it was our fault. its only 6 months old and still under guarantee. so you are not alone. i suspect there are many of us out there that have been duped. i was told that sony vaio arent there for customers.