aol problem - what is a narrowband account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after complaining to AOL of the 4th time i got this letter. ( it worth stating before this the second time i complained they said it was fraud in 2007 2008 they have a difference 'explanation')

Dear ---

I understand from your letter that you state that you have been overcharged by the amount of --------- and you are requesting a full refund for this amount. You are requesting a full explanation as to why you have been overcharged and you have inclued a copy of your last statement for our review.

On reviewing the details of the account above I can confirm that the account was called on 7th October 2006.. I can confirm the cancellation of the above account with the cancellation reference number of ----. We recommend that you keep this on file. This account was charged at the rate of £11.99 per month ans I can conform that no charges were applied after the cancellation of the account ( well that is a lie)

As your statement shows debits of both £11.99 and £15.99 this leads me to believe that there is a second narrowband account in your details, which is being charged at the rate of £15.99 per month. I have searched in under your telephone and payment information but was unable to locate the second account. I f you can provide me with the details of the card or direct debit details from which the amount of £15.99 is being debited from I will certainly look into the matter further for you.

Any issues raised as a result of your complaint will be fed back to the appropriate managerial team and the appropriate action will be taken to ensure we can avoid any similar complaints in the future.

……..

(2) what is a narrowband account – to my knowledge I only signed up to the dial-up account and does it cost a extra £15.99 ( first I’ve heard of this in the 2-3years I’ve been complaining – last time it was fraud – still have the letter)

(3) they searched this and that but haven’t found anything – but yet if I send them the bank account details ( for the 10th time) which I've sent already they will find a new account under my name.

I'm getting nowhere by complainin to AOL and they take weeks to reply.

Narrow band is dial up and shows on their site as £11.99. Very expensive for that service.

The only things that gets near for the other one is £14.99 with a free laptop, so it you have been paying that one ask where your free laptop is.

So they took £15.99??? They assume it was for a narrowband account but can't find the account??

Tell them to get stuffed. Explain that as they have no idea why it was paid then it simply amounts to theft and you would like the money returned to your account. Give them your account number and sort code and refuse to give your card details. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

• 1 month later...
So they took £15.99??? They assume it was for a narrowband account but can't find the account??

....I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

03/07-2008 got a letter from AOL which is confusing me.

I've been complaining to AOL about double charging and overcharging as I cancelled in 08/2006. I have not used aol since then. They have always stated that they could not find a second account and so money continue to be taken from my account. I recently referred my case to CISAS who is now dealing with this.

(As soon as I submitted my complaint to CISAS, AOL sent me a letter last week asking for my card details again - which I refused to give as they already have my bank account details)

Anyway today got another letter from aol 'COLLECTION NOTICE - FINAL Demand'

They been trying to contact me for several months – (this is not true)

I owe them money £47.97 ( they owe me hundreds:evil:)

I have a new screen name which I have never used.

My original screen name for example (in replace of my real name) was say: michaeljackson

AOL have quoted MJACKSON

In fact after months of AOL not being able to find a second account, I complain to CISAS and all of a sudden this is the 2ND account.

Surely if this was a real account they would have found it alot earlier and would have stopped overcharging me years ago when I first complained ( that's what I really do not get, this is under the same name, address, telephone number, going out of the same bank account)

Also I was consistently charged on certain dates every month The dates shown on the letter from AOL are just not consisted with the usual dates. For examples 01/04 then 01/05 etc.

The dates are 08/05 then 17/05 etc ( which would be completely wrong anyway)

I am very sceptical of AOL now - has anyone else had this problem with AOL.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also cancel the direct debit, as this normally generates a DD letter to you and may include an account number, which may be better for AOL to look into?

On another note, if you only have one account, but two DD's are coming out every month, then you would have only signed for one DD mandate? Which means they are using your bank details without your consent, and therefore (under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee), you are entitled to a full refund from your bank for all monies paid and leave them to sort AOL out!

I would also consider contacting OFCOM and seeing if they can assist you further...

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)