Plasma TV 10 months out of guarentee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice here,

My Philips Plasma bought for £1450 from a local Electrical retailer has become faulty, red snow makes it unwatchable, and its 10 months out of guarantee.

After reading posts on this & other forums I rung the shop & spoke with a salesman who said I could try contacting Philips, he seemed oblivious to the fact that its his shop as the retailer that should be dealing with the fact I now have a £1450 42 inch shiny piece of junk in the corner of my living room.

Anyway with the help on here I drafted a letter Quoting SOGA & saying I it was unacceptable for a £1450 TV to become faulty after 20 Month asking that they repair or replace said TV giving 10 days to reply.

Thing is its getting close to the deadline I set with no response. Whats my next move,

do I threaten them with the small claims now?

do I take them to court before getting it fixed/replaced because I can see this going on for a long time!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tubs

Get 3 reasonable quotes for the cost of repairing the TV (or one if they are going to charge a callout but from a decent qualified company) after the 14 days from sending the letter expires. (Make sure that the company you do call out can also identify it as a fault by a manufacturing fault and not damage).

Then send the retailer a letter before action, giving them a further a final 14 days to either repair the product or you any future correspondence will be in the form of a court summons, where you will be claiming for the cost of repairing the tv (Damages) and all costs involved.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Get 3 reasonable quotes for the cost of repairing the TV (or one if they are going to charge a callout but from a decent qualified company) after the 14 days from sending the letter expires. (Make sure that the company you do call out can also identify it as a fault by a manufacturing fault and not damage).

Then send the retailer a letter before action, giving them a further a final 14 days to either repair the product or you any future correspondence will be in the form of a court summons, where you will be claiming for the cost of repairing the tv (Damages) and all costs involved.

Thanks for your reply, fingers crossed that I'll get somewhere with this.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tubs

What model number is this Phillips Tv?

There may have been issues with this particular model, which may have been covered by the manufacturer.

The TV should last a lot longer than 20 months, you have Sales of Goods Act to use if you wish to make a claim.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers