Rent Debt

Ladidi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am helping a friend, can someone advise me what she needs to do, she had a council tenancy 13 years ago and ended up owing them £777.65p. Now she left the property and went to live with her former fiance and there she remained until last year when the relationship broke down and she went home to her mum.

She applied for a property in her own right and forgot about this money owed from years before a she thought this would no longer be around so to speak.

The council wrote to her and reminded her of the debt of 13 years ago and want some form of payment plan in place of they will take legal action. I believe as the debt is more than 6 years old that this would be statute barred and cannot be enforced of collected even though she has acknowledged the debt with the council last year when they wrote to her.

Is there anything she can do or request from the council or can she write and remond the council this is non enforceable due to it being statute barred.

Many Thanks for your help

Ladidi

Ladidi

Hi Ladidi

I don,t really know the answer to your question but my sister had the same problem

she moved to canada with her husband(who is canadian) and when they came back they too lived with my mother my sister had a couple of tenancys before she left and owed amounts on each totalling just over £1,000 she was not threatened with legal action but they would not rehouse her till she had paid them off and at least one if not both were over 6 yrs

sorry to be a killjoy hopefully every area is different

good luck :)

Meg&Mog :)