DVLA, Post Office and tax for new car!

Snunn1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

The following happened to me today and makes me wonder what is happening in this country, does common sense not exist anymore?

I went to the Post Office last Thursday to buy a new 12 month tax disc for a new car I'd bought the previous day. The lady at the counter told me that it would start from the beginning of the current month - if I wanted to keep the car garaged and wait until the end of the month, then she could start the licence from the 1st May to get my monies worth. She told me to return today (29th April) as 2 days before the next calender month is the earliest opportunity you can tax a new car.

I left the Post Office and went on the DVLA website to see if she was correct and yes, she definitely was. Here's what I found:

How to tax your vehicle without a reminder : Directgov - Motoring

If your vehicle has been untaxed, because you’ve just bought it, the tax disc has run out or a SORN is in force, you can tax from the first day of the month in which you apply.

If you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you cannot tax your vehicle more than two days in advance.

Great, I thought, someone with some common sense! So, I made my way back to the PO today, handed over my docs, paid the money and left with my new tax disc. I walked outside, looked at the disc and realised it had "Expiry 30/04/09" stamped across it! That means I've paid an entire month's worth of tax for two days coverage! Completely the opposite of what I wanted to do! Obviously, I couldn't ask for a refund over the counter because the disc had already been written on! GRRRRR!

It's things like this which really make me wonder! Is there a way I can get the month's worth of coverage I've lost out on refunded? The website clearly states that I can tax a vehicle for the next calender month two days in advance. The PO has neglected to do this and has made me lose over £15 worth of tax coverage.

Does anyone think DVLA will see where I'm coming from and help me out with a refund? Even if I return the disc for a complete refund, I'd still lose that coverage which has technically already been used.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Stew

The post office must be able to cancel a disc and supply another otherwise what would happen if she wrote the wrong reg on it, she can't cross it out and write the correct reg underneath.

I would go back and see the same assistant that served you and tell them they have made an error. She should remember you but it will have todays stamp on it anyway.

I walked outside, looked at the disc and realised it had "Expiry 30/04/09" stamped across it! That means I've paid an entire month's worth of tax for two days coverage! Stew

You obviously can't count, your new tax obviously starts on 01/05/08 and expires on 30/04/09, that by my reckoning gives you a full 12 months, so what are you complaining about. Now if it had stated expiry 31/03/09 then yes you would have paid a full month for two days use. Some people really are stupid...:rolleyes:

Chesterexpress is right (well may be calling you stupid is going a bit far :o ) The Tax disc does run from 1st May 2008 to 30th April 2009 so you got what you wanted. :)

OMG! Yesterday was definitely one of those days! You're all correct when you say I've got a full 12 months, for some reason, I had it in my head that the expiry should be the end of May! Oops!

Thanks to everyone who explained this and pointed it out to me, I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake!

Thanks

Stew