What databases does Paypal/Ebay UK use to cross reference details of customers

tal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What databases does Paypal/Ebay UK use to cross reference details of customers, they have a database(s) which they have access to that allows them to cross reference details of users, so they know the details are correct, is it equifax or the post office database or some other database, anyone know?

what does the dpa say about this?

I'm not sure there is any cross reference. When you pay for an item on ebay, you click on the 'pay now' button and that just opens the paypal site for you to sign in.

You sign up for ebay and paypal seperately so there would be no reason to cross reference you.

If there is a link, I would say it is only by your ebay user name.

What database does ebay/paypal use that is out there to make sure its users are genuine and not [problematic] in the sense the details they give on registertation match up on a widely used databases such as equifax, post office.........etc, do you know

I'm not sure there is any cross reference. When you pay for an item on ebay, you click on the 'pay now' button and that just opens the paypal site for you to sign in.

You sign up for ebay and paypal seperately so there would be no reason to cross reference you.

If there is a link, I would say it is only by your ebay user name.

Unless it's changes since I used it, there is no check apart from having to activate an email to your email address where you are the buyer.

In the case of sells, it used to be that you had to have at least 10 purchase transactions before you could sell and that you had to register your credit/debit card details.

With Paypal. it suggests that the buyer has a level of protection as anyone receiving your money via Payapl will have had to go through a bank account verification process.

Perhaps it's changed now, I haven't had the need to buy lately!

One this is for sure, I would never purchase from overseas (though no doubt most deals are legitimate) and I always go for those with high feedbacks where possible - and I read the most recent ones to make sure they are still current and nothing glaringly negative.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

They validate that the supplied CC number used to identiy the PP user. They can query that the card number given and postcode match, and this will give them the OK. Nothing more sophisticated than that. However, they're now saying they'll be using cookies and embedded flash to track the actual computers used by sellers to ensure fake listings using phished addresses are cut.

I heard PayPal check that you actually live at the address that you register with by using some kind of database that is widely available which other companies use, know whats it called?

They validate that the supplied CC number used to identiy the PP user. They can query that the card number given and postcode match, and this will give them the OK. Nothing more sophisticated than that. However, they're now saying they'll be using cookies and embedded flash to track the actual computers used by sellers to ensure fake listings using phished addresses are cut.

As people have previously said, there is no database they check with. You give your CC details, they then put 2 seperate amounts onto your CC then you tell them how much it was, they also do this with bank accounts to verify it is you.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: